Super Simple TV Remote

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
MIL has a new smart tv. And she has problems remembering how to operate it. I get regular calls to fix her tv. She always gets to an unfamiliar screen and can't figure out what to do next.

I've taken away her cable box remote. Given her written instructions and training on how to use the remote that came with the tv. But the tv remote has too many buttons. She doesn't need buttons for input, Netflix, YouTube, pause, record, etc, etc.

She just needs a remote with channel numbers, volume, and on/off.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a simple remote with extremely limited functionality?

If it’s a Roku TV, they have a pretty simplistic remote. There are no numbers, so you have to scroll through on-line guides to select a channel, which is how YouTube TV works anyway. Out of the box remotes that come with the TV have the channel buttons you describe, but you can buy a remote where those buttons are programmable. Just leave them unprogrammed. It can be voice controlled, but I’ve never tried that feature.

If not a Roku TV, you can always add a Roku device, but that may make it even more complicated.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-RCAL7R-Voice-Remote-New/dp/B07WVFCKSS

No recommendation for a remote but a suggestion instead.

Download the user manual for her TV to your phone and/or take a picture of the remote for her TV. Learn how to operate the TV's remote, well, remotely. Then when she calls with questions you can quickly coach her on what buttons to press to her back on track.

This technique helped me a lot with my mother in her later days.

(I suppose this is where I'm expected to say that a Roku TV (not Roku stick) would have been a good choice, since they are so easy to use.)

She just needs a remote with channel numbers, volume, and on/off.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a simple remote with extremely limited functionality?

Which channel #s? OTA? Or just select cable #'s?

There's a bunch here:

https://www.amazon.com/big-button-universal-remote/s?k=big+button+universal+remote

418ShE-w7tL._AC_UY327_QL65_.jpg

61d1IScoQ3L._AC_UY327_QL65_.jpg

-ERD50

There are free apps (that are fairly basic) that will serve as a remote, if she has a smart phone.

omni

No recommendation for a remote but a suggestion instead.

Download the user manual for her TV to your phone and/or take a picture of the remote for her TV. Learn how to operate the TV's remote, well, remotely. Then when she calls with questions you can quickly coach her on what buttons to press to her back on track.

This technique helped me a lot with my mother in her later days.

(I suppose this is where I'm expected to say that a Roku TV (not Roku stick) would have been a good choice, since they are so easy to use.)

Great idea, but MIL doesn't have a phone that takes pics, so I have no idea what the screen looks like when she calls. And I don't think she could explain it to me.

If it’s a Roku TV, they have a pretty simplistic remote. There are no numbers, so you have to scroll through on-line guides to select a channel, which is how YouTube TV works anyway. Out of the box remotes that come with the TV have the channel buttons you describe, but you can buy a remote where those buttons are programmable. Just leave them unprogrammed. It can be voice controlled, but I’ve never tried that feature.

If not a Roku TV, you can always add a Roku device, but that may make it even more complicated.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-RCAL7R-Voice-Remote-New/dp/B07WVFCKSS

Not a Roku TV, but something like this might work

Search Amazon for "simple remote for seniors" and you'll see a number of very simple ones. (I have no experience with any of these.)

Check out the fire cube TV. You can use voice commands to turn on/off tv, turn up/down volume, switch input, start netflix - search for movies etc...

Back
Top Bottom