Swimming Pool - Maintenance Nightmare?

Appreciate all the feedback, folks, thanks!

Trying out one of the Intex pools would be a good idea, but our HOA doesn't allow above-ground pools.

Based on the feedback, it sounds like the people who actually use their pools enjoy them and don't consider them a maintenance burden. Folks who don't use the pool much consider it a headache (which makes sense). I think my wife and I would use the pool, even when the kids are gone, so that information is helpful.

Thanks again!

We rented a San Diego house that had a pool. We kept it warm/full with a plastic (bubblewrap) pool cover. I was happy to let the weekly pool service take care of things. The natural-gas heater was horribly expensive for parties but otherwise the summer sunshine set the season. If the house didn't have a pool then we wouldn't have bothered with one.

The fence was always locked (too tall for our kid to reach) and we always continuously manned the lifeguard. She walked onto the pool cover once (two years old) and never made that mistake again. By the time she was four years old she'd spend at least an hour a day in the pool. If she did it after dinner until her face turned blue then she'd almost sleep through the night. She learned how to swim in it and she developed a good sense of pool safety (and her own limits). By contrast the local library/playground had far more "attractive nuisances" and dangerous traffic...

What I would like is a lap pool where you swim against the flow. Up here a swimming pool would be problematic. I have seen a few lap pools that look like long spas, but they are very pricey.
Ours wasn't big enough for lap swimming so I tried swimming against a bungee-cord tether. It was the world's most boring workout until I got a waterproof mini-radio with earplugs... then it was the world's second-most-boring workout.

Ours wasn't big enough for lap swimming so I tried swimming against a bungee-cord tether. It was the world's most boring workout until I got a waterproof mini-radio with earplugs... then it was the world's second-most-boring workout.

Well burst my fantasy bubble! I suppose it is a lot like using a treadmill, but more costly.

Martha why not just join a Y . I go to a white water aerobics class that is fun and a great workout . My arms are still burning from today's class .

Trying out one of the Intex pools would be a good idea, but our HOA doesn't allow above-ground pools.

Neither does mine, but first someone has to complain, then I get to argue the definition of what "ground" is and what "above" means, and then I get to split the hair as to what constitutes a "pool" and what is a childs toy or decorative fountain. Throw a koi in there and tell me what it is then!

I think I have it on item two. The pool sinks about an inch into the ground, so its technically partially below ground.

>:D

Neither does mine, but first someone has to complain, then I get to argue the definition of what "ground" is and what "above" means, and then I get to split the hair as to what constitutes a "pool" and what is a childs toy or decorative fountain. Throw a koi in there and tell me what it is then!

I think I have it on item two. The pool sinks about an inch into the ground, so its technically partially below ground.

>:D
Wow, I'm probably right in thinking I'd be happier if my ER home does not have an HOA! What a PITA to have to justify, argue, and split hairs. I know, some people don't mind or even thrive on that but I would rather not have to deal with it.

If my neighbors have an above-ground pool in their back yards, I tend to think it's nobody's business but their own (especially if it is not visible from the street).

Yeah, I avoided the major HOA communities when I bought here. We have HOA-Lite that costs $10 a year and has a small group of people who try to tell you what to do but only if you ask them to.

I sorta like my HOA, they keep the area the way I like it and I have no problem following rules that are for everyones bennefit.

We have a pool guy coming for an estimate for a pool this afternoon. Pools in Florida are expensive because they don't use normally use vinyl liners and most need a screen to keep out the bugs and other varments. They seem to run around 50K with a screen.

I sorta like my HOA, they keep the area the way I like it and I have no problem following rules that are for everyones bennefit.

We have a pool guy coming for an estimate for a pool this afternoon. Pools in Florida are expensive because they don't use normally use vinyl liners and most need a screen to keep out the bugs and other varments. They seem to run around 50K with a screen.
Yes, but the screen really makes Florida pools so pleasant! 50K does seem like a lot. I probably won't install a pool, but might not rule out an ER house with one. If my house doesn't have a pool, there's always the gym.

A good friend had a pool in TX ... says "never again". Clincher was the 2 year old walking across the cover after opening the sliding glass door. Cover held her (thank god) but the back yard became essentially useless unless an adult was using it.

My brother has had one for years

It runs him $175 a month. He hires everything. The pool service runs 75-85 of that. He has a salt water pool with solar heating but doesn't heat it in winter and doesn't have to in summer. Running the filter usually takes about a third of the electricity used.

I have a 22'x44' - the only time it is a pain is fall and spring - all the leaves and worse yet all the spring tree pollen we have here in the mountains. Once it is clean in the spring - it is a piece of cake to keep clean - just keep the duckie full of 3'' clorine tabs, shock once every 7-10 days - keep the ph right and put in anti-algae, I use the algae control that lasts 3 full months(sold at Walmart).
My kids and I use it alot - they have friends over often and have a fun/healthy thing to do. DW likes to swim at night.

If you're the kind of person who looks at a gym and says "If only I could have all that equipment in my home and be responsible for its all its upkeep" then a pool is probably your thing. But in my opinion a pool is the least practical thing in a YMCA to run for yourself.

73ss454 - We built a 10,000 gallon vinyl liner pool in Orlando in 2001 for about $32,000. That included some geometry to the pool, a waterfall, a heat pump, tricked out lighting, cool deck, a large deck with multiple elevations, a salt chlorinator, and a nice birdcage. We got every dime of it back and more when we sold 2 years later. $50,000...yikes!

Last edited:
I realize that many LBYM-types wouldn't dream of putting a swimming pool in the backyard. That said, I have 2 young kids who have taken to swimming in a big way. I'm contemplating a move in the next few years to a home with a pool, or with a backyard suitable for building one. There is a public swimming pool not that far from us, but we're a family of introverts, and would prefer more privacy & quiet than the public pool affords (though it's definitely a heckuva lot cheaper than building our own pool).

Many folks who have pools complain incessantly about the maintenance required, and I have zero interest in becoming a slave to a big water hole. Any personal experiences, good or bad? It seems like the newer saline pools require less chemicals and futzing with. Is that true?

Any input is appreciated!

Well, as a fairly new pool owner I'll give all the thoughts I have on the matter, for what they're worth.

We've had our pool for 3 years - in-ground gunite by Blue Haven (lifetime transferable shell warranty) w/diving board & 6' slide - I recognized upfront that this is purely a luxury purchase & don't expect it to add value to the house, although it may add some (or a lot? time & the market will tell) In making the decision to purchase this luxury you can look at it many different ways - for me, I finally decided that:

* I always thought when I was a kid that I would have a pool some day (remember back when we all thought we were gonna be millionares?) I realized that "OK, here I am in my mid-40's, where's that pool I always thought I'd have?" We drive older cars, remodeled our house ourselves, always been LBYM, etc - but interest rates were good, our income at peak earning years, so I realized that "yes, we can do this"

* I got a nice unexpected settlement check from a long pending lawsuit that paid for a third of the pool up-front.

* 10 y/o daughter (now 13). Only child. Loves the water. She has lots of good times with her friends over. She's not getting any younger. A pool adds lots of good times for her & us to enjoy with her while she's still younger.

* East Texas summers, hot & humid, not much to do outside that doesn't involve major perspiration within 5 minutes. Overall, this is probably the #1 major benefit for us in having a pool. We also have a pretty long swim season - no pool heater, but we can jump in with wetsuits for much of the cooler months.

* We bought a somewhat upper middle class house for the area in which we live in - therefore an above ground pool would actually detract from the value & a liner pool also, although to lesser degree.

* The particular site of our house had a beautiful setting for a pool on a hillside overlooking the lower 3 acres of woods & creek. The backyard before was just a steeply sloping patch of grass that was hard to mow. The pool really made the house that was lacking just a little something to make a fantastic retreat in the backyard. We did have some major dirtwork done building up the hillside with terraces on the overlook side of the hill. (Building on the hillside was a major motivation for going with Blue Haven with their lifetime shell warranty)

I looked at the options of liner, fiberglass, & gunite. Each as their pros & cons. We ended up deciding on gunite.

Although I'm sure there's some people out there, I've not yet met anyone who did not have at least one or two headaches with their pool builder. We had several, but it all came out OK in the end. (We only hate the salesman now, who's since been fired, :) we're still freindly with the owner & other employees)

We had an electronically controlled saltwater chlorination system installed with the four large filter cartridges (rather than sand or other filtration). I love the system. Filter cartridges are about $90 each, but last 3 to 5 years if taken care of properly. Mine are still in pretty good shape after 3 years. Maintenance is very low.

One caution re: saltwater chlorination - it's great, but make sure the pool builder uses stainless steel fixtures on EVERYTHING - including the mounts for the slide & diving board bolts/fixtures - the saltwater will rust anything it frequently gets on.

Costs: $30 to $75 month additional electricity depending on time of year (we have newer energy efficient pumps). Chemicals: lower costs w/ the saltwater system - a $5 bag of water softener salt every once in a while, a little acid $3 from Home Depot every once in a while to adjust ph, some algaecide, a bottle of clarifier every once in a while. Water costs: probably not enough to even discuss - lots of water here in E. TX & it's relatively cheap.

Our house insurance was surpisingly impacted very little actually, I understand though that this can vary greatly from area to area & you should check on it before you build.

We went for a 8' deep 32'x14' irregular shaped diving pool with slide & diving board. I really would have preferred a tennis pool, but DW & DD really wanted the deep pool. If you put in a diving pool I cannot stress enough to insist upon & pay for at least 10' deep - one girl already skinned her lip on the bottom diving, fortunately that's the only incident so far, but now we have to very scrupulously caution anyone who wants to use the dive board. (it's currently taken off due to rusted bolts - & may stay off this season even though I like using it personally) Built in seating & a swim-out in the deep end are really worth the price also.

Daughter & I are scuba certified & have our own gear, so the deep pool is good for training & practicing our drills between dive trips.

When calculating the price of your pool, don't forget fencing & landscaping - can be major costs - we saved some doing ourselves but it was a lot of work. Pool builder will usually give you a standard 3 or 4 feet of decking around pool - their $sq ft cost will be much higher than you can contract it yourself, so you may want to consider.
The fine print of most pool contracts will also specify they are not responsible for any dirtwork or other work beyond 3 or 4 feet from the pool edge, so if you have any slopes or other issues you need to be aware.

If using a major company like Blue Haven, lead them to believe during the "sales" process that you are going to finance through their finance company - they're more likely to throw a freebies in the "included" price. (like a really cool color-changing light!) After price & included items are settled upon you can let them know you found your own financing.

In-pool sprinklers are good if you are in an area where the pool tends to overheat during the worst of the summer. You can run them at night to cool the pool down.

Remember also that companies like Blue Haven are merely general contractors - they have independent sub-contractors that come in & do all the work. Some things like decking you can get contracted yourself. We contracted our own electrician to get the wiring to the pool pump/control box location & ground the pool. $200 vs a flat $600 if Blue Haven had done it. (of course we didn't tell Blue Haven we wanted to do this until after final price was negotiated - they then had to knock the $600 off - they would have used a local electrician anyway & pocketed the rest)

Another thing in building is whether you have underground lawn sprinker lines in the area the pool will go. The pool company doesn't do this (but will be happy to sub-contract it & take a little profit for themselves for their trouble) I did the re-routing of sprinkler lines myself, but it's a pain. You may wish to find your own sub-contractor for that job.

As to looking at houses with existing pools: The newer pools with the saltwater systems, electronic controls, & energy efficient pumps are going to be much cheaper to run & less maintenance. Also find an independent plaster expert to check out the condition of the plaster on a plastered pool - it can last a very long time if chemical balance is kept correct, or a much shorter time if not. New plaster jobs are NOT cheap - several thou' I'm told.

Those are just a few of my thoughts on the subject - some may disagree with some of them - some may not be right for your situation.

Reactions: W2R
A good friend had a pool in TX ... says "never again". Clincher was the 2 year old walking across the cover after opening the sliding glass door. Cover held her (thank god) but the back yard became essentially useless unless an adult was using it.

I live in MA and have had an inground pool for the last 20 years. It is set back about 50 feet so we've enjoyed our backyard and only allowed the kids (when they were young) and their friends in the pool area when supervised.

Pros:
-Our kids spent their teen age years in our back yard with their friends so we knew where they were at all times.
-Reduce vacation costs as we spent most of our summer poolside.
-Convenience of exercise in your back yard instead of a gym or the Y
-sanitary problems with public pools
-Entertaining family and friends.

Cons:
- Summers are too short in New England (3 month swimming seasons).
- Costly maintenance when you have a problem such as a new skimmer line @2500 or a new liner @4000.
- Frustrating water chemistry problems (two weeks ago I had to add 52 lbs of chlorine shock to the pool at start up because of "chlorine demand")

an update on my 15ft intex pool....i loveit! best 200 i ever spent. im thinking of getting a bigger intex pool, 12x24x 52" with pump/cover etc etc for 1100 shipped...if it lasts 5 yrs i will be happy...

talked to local pool house and can have a 24 ft round steel pool,.20 mil liner, saltwater chlorination system, covers,ladder etc installed for about $3500. not as bad as expected....

If you're the kind of person who looks at a gym and says "If only I could have all that equipment in my home and be responsible for its all its upkeep" then a pool is probably your thing. But in my opinion a pool is the least practical thing in a YMCA to run for yourself.

Between the ages of 13 and 39 I spent roughly 20 years taking care of a pool, first my parents than mine. I am sure there were days where I appreciated having some nice place to cool off, but those were few and far between compared to the days I wanted to fill the stupid thing in.

If I had several kids between 6 and 13 who really wanted a pool, maybe I'd relent, but in general, go to a gym.

Pools are nice to have pool parties around but you said you guys are introverted so you probably don't entertain every week.
Home pools are a lousy place to exercise because they just are not long enough to do laps, basically you can only get 3 or 4 strokes before turn around. It is bad training for any type of competitive swimming and not even that great of a work out.

Yes you can hire a pool service (I was paying 65 month in Northern Cal back in 1999 so I assume it is higher.) Yes you can get robot sweepers which work for many pools, but sadly not for mine or many custom pools.

Chemicals do only take 15-20 minutes to week to maintain, but keeping the pool clean is pain in the butt. Pumps need to be run 8-12 hours a day and consume a moderate amount of electricity. Heating them even with covers is very expensive anyplace outside of Fl, AZ or So California. So if you outsource everything you can probably get away with spending $100-150/month for the pool + 50 more if you want to heat it and use it in the spring/fall.

When I sold me house I allowed a 10K credit to either replaster the pool, or fill it, most people were more interested in filling it in. I tried to talk the guy who bought the house out of replastering it and just filling it in. Next time I am in the neighborhood I'll check and see what happened.

If you decide that you don't want the pool, you will find out they add zero to the value of the house and will cost roughly $10K to get rid off.

We also did pebble-tec. I suggest it, or the fiberglass.

Saline chlorinator and robotic pool sweep. We have an auto-water level (adds water automatically if it gets low. Can't vouch for electric cost since we have a solar electric system that covers it all.

We live there about 3 months of the year in total, two in summer when the pool is in use. The filter/saline chlorinator run year round 5 or so hours a day. I sweep it when I am in town, DD sweeps it once a week in the summer when I'm not there to do it. We add acid a few times a year. We maybe spend $50 bucks a year between the acid and salt. With our system, there is no need of extreme time consuming maintenance or a company to do it. On-going cost is minimal, although the initial cost was high (38x18, lots of decking and fencing, auto cover, auto saline chlorinator, auto water feed, robotic pool cleaner, two fountains, $75k). You can do it for a lot less than that if it is mainly for play, and smaller...we wanted something bigger so we could get a little exercise in as well, since DD is a swimmer.

Also, no pool heater, we may add solar heating later, but we are only there in the hottest part of summer and the middle of winter when you can't swim anyway. The cover keeps it warm.

R

If I had several kids between 6 and 13 who really wanted a pool, maybe I'd relent, but in general, go to a gym.

"Strike one": No kids here, and I intend to maintain my gym membership whether I buy a home with a pool or not...

Pools are nice to have pool parties around but you said you guys are introverted so you probably don't entertain every week.
"Strike two": The last time I had a party of any kind was forty-seven years ago, so I am in that category as well. Hmm.

Home pools are a lousy place to exercise because they just are not long enough to do laps, basically you can only get 3 or 4 strokes before turn around. It is bad training for any type of competitive swimming and not even that great of a work out.
"Strike three": This is enough information to persuade me not to buy a house with a pool. The whole point of a pool (for me) would be to engage in an enjoyable form of exercise without leaving home.

Sounds like a pool is not for me! Maybe instead I would prefer a house within walking distance of a good gym. Thanks, Clifp.

I think it really depends where you live how practical a pool is . In Florida it's a year round thing but I know when I lived in new Jersey it was a short season and not worth the bother . I have a fiberglass pool and except for occasional problems it has been easy to maintain . It does make me nervous when the grankids are over but if they are going to fall anywhere I'd rather they fall into the pool than the Bay because I'm not jumping in there any time soon .

In the "how stupid can you be?" category, I was talking to my neighbor the other day. Good friends of theirs had their 2.5 year old drown in their pool while the wife was pregnant with their second. Two and a half years later, that one drowned in the same pool.

In a strong competitive move, one of my wifes co-workers is expecting twins any day now. They have a pool and a koi pond. The co-worker is adamant that he will NOT be putting in any fences or other child proofing on either the pool or the pond. He will be telling the children not to go near them and "raising them right" and that'll be good enough.

In the "how stupid can you be?" category, I was talking to my neighbor the other day. Good friends of theirs had their 2.5 year old drown in their pool while the wife was pregnant with their second. Two and a half years later, that one drowned in the same pool.

In a strong competitive move, one of my wifes co-workers is expecting twins any day now. They have a pool and a koi pond. The co-worker is adamant that he will NOT be putting in any fences or other child proofing on either the pool or the pond. He will be telling the children not to go near them and "raising them right" and that'll be good enough.

This is what happens when stupid people realize they have an on-site Von Neumann machine.

These folks sound like strong competitors for a Darwin like award. Ok you managed to get lucky and reproduce but we are going to get rid of your offspring before they can do any further damage to the species.

Basic Pool Chemical Maintenance

Maintaining your pool is easy if you will just take not of the following:

Bi-Weekly Check

• Use AquaChek test strips to check the balance of your pool chemical.
  • Maintain the water pH level at 7.4 – 7.6
  • Maintain free available pool chlorine [moderator edit to remove link] at 1.0 to 3.0 ppm.
  • Clean and empty the skimmer baskets; skim leaves, bugs and other debris floating around the pool.
Weekly Check

• Brush the pool walls and clean the pool floors with a pool vacuum
  • Pour in a bag of shock for every 10,000 gallons of water you have in your pool. You may need to add even more after a rain storm, after many people bathed in the pool, or during unusually hot weather.
  • Add some Algae Preventative to prevent algae growth.
Monthly Check

• Get a full chemical testing of your pool water by sending a sample of your pool water to a Professional Water Testing Service for analysis.
Seasonal Check

• Clean off any accumulated oils and grease on your filter with a Filter Cleaners with the Filter Cleaner Degreaser.
  • Add a Flock and Metal Remover to the water, wait 24 to 36 hours, then vacuum the pool floor before swimming in it again.
  •  Do not test your pool water during rainy or windy days. These natural occurrences will render your test results inaccurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom