Taking a job without telling Employer I plan to FIRE

Ncc1701

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi All,

Need some life advice here because I'm feeling a little bit guilty.

I left my higher paying sales job and am looking to land a less stressful administrative position. I plan on working exactly 4 more years before retiring at age 52.

I found the perfect position close to home and am one of the final candidates. During the interview process, the employer and her team said they are looking for a "lifer" someone who they hope will "stick around" because her last admin assistant lasted 15 years.

If I tell her I plan on retiring in 4 years, I most likely wont get the job. But then again is it even realistic for an employer to expect a "lifer"? I mean I don't even know if the employers themselves will be around 4 years from now.

What would you do if you were me? Keep quiet, take the job and let them deal with my retirement decision 4 years from now or spill the beans now? THANKS!

Last edited:
A lot can happen in 4 years. I wouldn’t say anything about retirement until you’re ready to pull the plug.

Hard one, speaking as one who was usually on the hiring side.

Since the question was asked, I think you are ethically obligated to answer. Had it not been asked, then there's nothing wrong with keeping quiet.

If I were the hiring supervisor and you answered honestly, that would be a big gold star in your favor. If you were my top candidate before you answered, that gold star might be enough to keep you there. I value integrity very highly. Will she see it that way? I have no idea.

Not your problem! They shouldn't even say such a thing, and you shouldn't say anything, either.

It reminds me of way-back-when, interviewing for an administrative job (before my career job came through), being asked my marital status; and when I said I was engaged, the interviewer said that was good, because the other girls get jealous about a new girl dating the men.

Just because it was legal in 1979 to ask marital status, doesn't mean they had any right to do so.

Hi All,

During the interview process, the employer and her team said they are looking for a "lifer" someone who they hope will "stick around" because her last admin assistant lasted 15 years.

THANKS!

I look at it differently... you are not looking to stay 15 years...so what...

You ARE planning on staying there the rest of you working LIFE... hence a lifer...

BTW, you might find that it is a lot more enjoyable and stay a few more years... my last job I would have stayed if I could... it was easy, enjoyable and a good place to be... financial hardships got in the way of me staying (theirs, not mine)...

OP - Don't feel guilty, no need to say you won't be there 15 yrs. Certainly your intention is to stay a long time.

Will they guarantee you a salary for 15 yrs ? - Obviously not, so likewise they cannot expect you to guarantee you will stay for 15 yrs.

So they want you to make a "lifer" commitment to them. if you were to ask them to make a lifetime employment commitment to you, how would that go ?

I agree with the other posters, they should not have asked the question.

Since the question was asked, I think you are ethically obligated to answer. Had it not been asked, then there's nothing wrong with keeping quiet.

They didn't ask the question. OP said that they just made the comment at some point in the process.

You have no obligation to tell them your plans for 4 years from now. This is a plan that may, or may not change during this time.

I fully plan in 4 years when my daughter graduates high school to move South. If my employer is OK with that set up, fine. If not, also fine. But no way I'd tell them my plan ahead of time other than giving them appropriate notice to make a change if they feel they need to.

I think you can find a way to respond honestly. You may be planning on 54, but you never know. Maybe something like “I intend to work as long as I’m able.” It may be that at 54 you’re no longer able, but you really can’t be certain.

I look at it differently...

You ARE planning on staying there the rest of you working LIFE... hence a lifer...

LOL....I like your thinking TP! And yes OldShooter, they never directly asked the question, they simply stated a preference that I didn't respond to knowing full well that I probably won't meet that preference...:)

I think you can find a way to respond honestly. You may be planning on 54, but you never know. Maybe something like “I intend to work as long as I’m able.” It may be that at 54 you’re no longer able, but you really can’t be certain.

+1

You could also say you are planning to continue working as long as your health permits. You don't have to say that you have concerns that you could develop anal glaucoma by the time you are 54.

4 years I'd say nothing. 4 months? yes.

It's a silly ask for the hiring manager to make, especially of someone in their late 40s (even if they don't know your exact age).

It doesn't sound like they've asked you a direct question, so nothing needs to be said. But asking about longevity in an interview is kinda like asking how long you expect the marriage to last whilst on a first date.

Would it be fair if you asked them if they promise to stay in business and retain your role for your lifetime?

Hi All,

Need some life advice here because I'm feeling a little bit guilty.

I left my higher paying sales job and am looking to land a less stressful administrative position. I plan on working exactly 4 more years before retiring at age 52.

I found the perfect position close to home and am one of the final candidates. During the interview process, the employer and her team said they are looking for a "lifer" someone who they hope will "stick around" because her last admin assistant lasted 15 years.

If I tell her I plan on retiring in 4 years, I most likely wont get the job. But then again is it even realistic for an employer to expect a "lifer"? I mean I don't even know if the employers themselves will be around 4 years from now.

What would you do if you were me? Keep quiet, take the job and let them deal with my retirement decision 4 years from now or spill the beans now? THANKS!

Don't tell them and take the job. Do you think they're going to guarantee that job for life for you if something comes up? Those things work both ways.

+1

You could also say you are planning to continue working as long as your health permits. You don't have to say that you have concerns that you could develop anal glaucoma by the time you are 54.

As long as the anal glaucoma doesn't spread.....

You don't have to say that you have concerns that you could develop anal glaucoma by the time you are 54.

Having followed your link, that was pretty funny!

I then mused about whether changing the phrasing to "anal cataracts" would be better... Then I thought about what a "cataract" literally is, and realized that my proposed term would be much, much, much worse!

"I plan to work here until I retire"

I like this answer. It is factually true, and how the hiring mgr interprets that is their issue.

Another question, how big is this potential new employer? The bigger they are the less that you leaving will be any issue for you to feel bad about. Only at a real small place where the work environment is more like a family would I even worry about it. As said by some previous replies, a company will drop you without any concern for your "lifer" status is if business turns down.

At will employment (in the U.S.) ... things can change in a hurry...do not overthink. Simply share you plan to work for a long while.

BTW, I could not imagine expecting someone to commit to that when hiring....we are all replaceable at work....not in our families.

What would you do if you were me? Keep quiet, take the job and let them deal with my retirement decision 4 years from now or spill the beans now?

"Spilling the beans" means implicitly sharing your current financial status with your future employer, which I don't recommend. IMO, you have no obligation to share such info. Finding, hiring, training, and retaining good employees is the employer's problem, not yours. If they want to keep you around, they will have to treat you well.

In a small family-run business, sometimes long-time employees are considered 'part of the family' and this strict separation between business and employee finances can break down - I've seen it happen (I wasn't comfortable when it did, but I was merely an observer). I prefer to keep things on a strictly professional plane, but not everyone is mentally wired like me.

Good luck - I hope you get the job! :greetings10:

I would sit back for a moment, look like I was contemplating a response. Then look them straight in the face and with a slight friendly smile, reply with the following: "I am willing to sign a 15 year rock solid contract if you are ready to sign today". You know they won't do that. They won't ask any more related questions. Who knows what your thoughts will be 2 years down the road let alone 15. Maybe you will love it maybe not. And as said, they will not hesitate to can your a$$ should they desire to. Nothing is set in stone anymore.

Here's my very strong opinion: You'd be NUTS to tell them of your 4 Year plan.
1) It would seal a no-offer. 2) 4 years is not a short time. Heck, you may decide to leave in less time...or longer than 4 years. 3) It would seal a no-offer 4) They won't guarantee you job security for 4 years, never mind "life." 5) It would seal a no-offer. 6) If you're qualified and they want you, they should just make the offer, you should just accept it and let the future be what it would be.

I accepted my last job offer knowing full well I was leaving after 2 years or so.
No guilt whatsoever, and when I gave notice there was no hostility towards me. Finally, did I mention that if you tell them of your 4 year plan it would seal a no-offer?

Back
Top Bottom