Taking college classes post retirement

In my state, seniors can take classes at state colleges for free. Easy to sign up, too. You're treated just like any other student.

The downside, as I discovered after signing up, is that I had to pay to park on campus (there is no nearby parking otherwise), at $140/semester. Then there was the cost of a textbook, which in my case was only an online book that cost $120 (no other option, since class assignments were only available via the online book). So not exactly free, but I think I got my money's worth. Having the student ID gave me a bunch of great deals through the bookstore, and saved a ton on various software and other purchases.

DH and I start our first class next week. We decided to wait until the Summer II session because of other plans. Sign Language was not offered this session, so we decided on American Topics: Vietnam. There are six books to read, and today we received the first emailed assignment from the professor. <gulp>

This will be either a wonderful experience or a nightmare, but I know I will learn much. Have read a little bit of one of the titles: If I Die in a Combat Zone by Tim O'Brien. Must finish it and 400 pages of another book in the next two weeks and we will be on track. :eek:

Years ago, I read Tom Cat in Love by that T O'Brien and loved it--obviously a totally different kind of book.

All fees are included in the 60+ waiver, including parking, health clinic and university HPER center. Arkansas has some perks, even in 90+ temps.

It sounds like a number of counties/states have free tuition available for seniors. My county community college likewise offers free tuition for seniors over 60 auditing classes, but does charge some nominal registration fees. I'm not yet that old but this past spring semester I took a metal working class that I paid for. As part of being a student I had access to the gym facilities and took well advantage of that. What I found were a number of >60 year olds that signed up for single credit hour PE classes just for the gym membership. Many of them didn't even bother showing up for the class - spreading the registration fee costs out they were getting a gym membership for under $5 per month. Most college gyms are much nicer than the national chain gyms. I'm still not 60 but I've signed up again because even paying the full tuition on a single credit hour class equates to a $35/month gym membership. If I get something from the class all the better - and BTW I don't feel guilty about missing classes either if there's good skiing to do instead. Three more years to go before I don't have to pay tuition at all!

Instead of taking classes and paying for them, I teach them and get paid for them as my after-retirement keep my mind busy activity.

Of course, I started doing that for one class, then two classes,then .... and now full-time. So be careful. The good news is that I don't have to pay for parking, I even get a special faculty permit. :)

Our local university has many noncredit special interest classes. I took my private pilot ground school at my almamater. They also teach something of great worth to a retiree--bass fishing.

But our local community college offers free tuition on regular courses at 60 years old. I would like to take auto painting--if I had more free time. Heaven knows it would be worthwhile with a kamakazee daughter behind the wheel.

I would like to take auto painting--if I had more free time. Heaven knows it would be worthwhile with a kamakazee daughter behind the wheel.[/QUOTE said:
That made me laugh, while knowing the serious fear that goes with that. We have such a daughter. She borrowed our vehicle once and sent a snapshot of it going 100mph. It is a Honda CR-V, for crying out loud. She seems to think each & every vehicle should be tested for this. :facepalm:

....as a side note, our location, right now, has 79% humidity. 11:01PM. We deserve some perks.

....as a side note, our location, right now, has 79% humidity. 11:01PM. We deserve some perks.
:LOL: Believe me, I sympathize! We have 92% humidity right now down here in New Orleans. But that's OK, it's to be expected during the summer down here.

As for college classes, I thought I would want to take some when I retired. However, since retirement I have been so busy (having fun) that I just haven't gotten around to it.

Its free in FL....if you are over 55

This may only be for the universities in Fl and not for colleges.

I have been using the ceramics studio for a number of years now as a somewhat amateur potter. It was free and had much more equipment than my own studio plus a huge inventory of chemicals to mix my own glazes.

I have also taken 3 printmaking classes, 3 metal sculpture classes, and a figure sculpture class. Great fun. A lot of work. And they were all free except for a small studio fee.

This has all been at the local college from where I retired which is why I could take free classes.

However most if not all state universities are free for seniors.

Cheers!

I dropped out of college after two years (when the draft ended) in order to make money. When I first started working for a fortune 100 they wanted me to finish my degree, so I took a few night classes in accounting and finance. I left that job after 18 mos when I was recruited for another fortune 100 who assumed I had a degree. This went on multiple times and I never bothered to get the degree. Retired at 33/34 and when I was forty I enrolled in University in NYC and with life experience credit and a few courses I graduated and even taught a few classes. Never bothered to pick up my Diploma though.

I've had good and bad experiences taking community college "regular" classes. The "continuing education" classes have all been good (much higher priced, but good). In the "regular" classes, you're in with "regular" students, so sometimes the instructors can't be bothered with anything out of the ordinary (like my vacation). I said if I got the assignments in advance, I'd do them before I left. Nope.

Instead of taking classes and paying for them, I teach them and get paid for them as my after-retirement keep my mind busy activity. :)

This is my strategy too. And since I am in a small group, problem based format, I often learn as much as the students do. Also get access to the university's libraries, online resources and sports facilities to boot.

Some of the users know that I made the decision to go to law school about 6 months after retiring. That adventure ended in May and if I had to do again, I most likely would not. The schooling part wasn't that much of a challenge (but when you aren't competing with classmates, it *is* easier) and I really enjoyed that...and had countless interesting conversations...mainly with students that were in their early to mid 20's. Their perspective was interesting almost ALL of the time.

But, I disliked the schedule and the traffic. Although I was able to schedule most classes outside "high traffic" times, since it was in downtown ATL, there were more than a few days when I was cussing myself for signing up for that "adventure".

Nonetheless, I still have 12 months of GI Bill remaining, so in the future, I will most likely take classes again. Perhaps something culinary...I think that would be fun. I have always enjoyed the process of learning, and I don't think that will ever get old.

Back
Top Bottom