Taking that leap of faith

Blue531

Recycles dryer sheets
Retiring on September 1st, 2020. I just turned 56 recently. My health hasn't been the greatest and I've been working toward this day for some years. Finally decided it's time to just stop. Life is short and there are no guarantees on how long I will live. So, I'm taking the leap of faith that everything I've done up until now to prepare for this is enough. I believe it is and I am looking forward to enjoying my freedom.

Congratulations Blue531! Hope your health improves quickly with the diminished stress.

A couple of questions for you:

1) How are you feeling about having a the start of your retirement a few days away?

2) What do you have planned for the next chapter of your life?

Congrats and hope you have good medical coverage.
Many people find their health gets better after they retire.

Thanks for everyone's support!

Congrats![emoji898][emoji323][emoji322]

Am feeling a combination of achievement, relief and anticipation. Also, slight nervous concern about the future financially, which I think is normal for the situation and to be expected. The decision had to be made as I couldn't go on that way anymore. My plans are to focus on myself and my health first and foremost. I plan to take trips as often as I can to visit family or to go to the beach, where I'd like to move to in some years. I will continue to work on actively investing from home. I also have a voracity for reading and will indulge myself in the buying of interesting books. I will enjoy, as I have, the simplest things in life.

Excellent, congrats! I also love reading and my library has been an AMAZING resource, especially during this covid period when I haven't had in person access. I now do all my reading on my Samsung tablet with the 1000's of e-books available. Simple is wonderful for me too.

What will you do all day? :confused:

Congrats and enjoy, retired five years ago and it seems like yesterday. Time flies when your having fun, not in the grinder!

Whatever I want, lol. I love to read and I love to learn. I stay active investing in stocks so I often take time to do research and listen out for what is going on in the markets. I'll enjoy the fall weather coming up, walks, maybe travel to the beach. I have to rest a lot because I have *** but I'll find things to do. I'll enjoy my simple life as best I can.

I wish you the very best in your new life!

Good luck to you. I’m six weeks in and the work gunk is evaporating. The first week was the hardest, I think because I was like the coyote running off the cliff after the last completed deadlines, awkward staff good byes on Zoom with the people I liked and still harboring habitual lingering bad feelings for those I didn’t. I started shaking it off after a week and that process gets better and better each day for me. It’s still hard to realize I can have whole days of just reading or puttering and that’s A-OK. I do feel a lot less stressed and calm, which must have health benefits, such as sleeping peacefully and fully. I’m not really thinking about my former workplace much as my mind focuses indulgently on other interests but occasionally some former toxic work relationship invades my mind, like an unwelcomed hemorrhoidal flare up. Then it’s a great relief to realize, exactly like waking from a bad dream, “That stuff isn’t real anymore and I am done with it and them.” Already, I’m remembering mostly the good parts and people of that job and feeling grateful for them, while forgetting the bad, just as with all the rest of my jobs. I had a good boss and I called her Friday to check in. Still the same old challenges there, so I felt for her. Congratulations on your achievement and enjoy the summer weather while it lasts!

Last edited:
To Markola: Thank you and same to you! I can relate to feeling relieved to leave the toxic work environment behind and all stress related to the job. A lot of these places suck the life out of you. I can't imagine working like that for another five or ten years. I think that maybe toxic work places may shorten our lives. Someone once said to me a few years ago "well, won't you get bored?" when I mentioned retiring early. I replied "I don't come to work to keep from being bored." Most of us work because we need money to pay our bills.

Back
Top Bottom