Talk me out of this desktop computer

travelover

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My desktop is about 9 years old and running Windows 7. It has 4 GB ram and it does everything I need it to do, which is to surf forums, YouTube, store a bunch of photos and podcasts. No gaming.

Since Windows 7 will no longer be supported, I'm thinking of just buying a refurbished / used computer. It makes sense to me to get a little more memory and a solid state hard drive along with Windows 10.

Would this computer likely disappoint? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07L7P3...olid=20FIRU1L6ZUZB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I see that its CPU is an i5-3470 (a quad core). That along with 8 GB of RAM and the SSD is going to be lot faster than your current machine. Enjoy!

I would want to add a large drive for storage unless you already have one. I’d also get an adapter so that you can have hdmi. You’ll need a display port to hdmi adapter. Other than that, it should be fine. Heck, the machine is little more than the Windows 10 license. How far wrong can you go? Not much.

I would want to add a large drive for storage unless you already have one. I’d also get an adapter so that you can have hdmi. You’ll need a display port to hdmi adapter. Other than that, it should be fine. Heck, the machine is little more than the Windows 10 license. How far wrong can you go? Not much.
Thanks for the input. My current computer has 250 gig of "stuff" on the hard drive but I rarely take digital photos anymore, so I'm not worried about capacity there. I don't even know what I'd do with a HDMI adapter. Current computer has none and have not missed it. Is that to connect to a television?

Last edited:
The link suggests the hdmi cable for a whopping $7.45. That is to connect to the monitor. Maybe you are just going to use an old one with a different connection.

That's a very good price for a machine of that configuration.

However, based on the title of this thread, I will attempt to do what you ask. If your current computer does everything you need, and have little reason for upgrading other than moving to Win 10, I'd say just add a SSD to it. Just because Microsoft no longer supports a particular operating system is no reason to move away from it if you like it. I have machines running Windows XP, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and Windows Server 2003 R2. They each serve a particular purpose where there is no need to upgrade, or have a requirement to stay on the old operating system.

Our machine running Windows XP is an old HP Pentium-4 with 4GB memory that we need to keep that way, since it has a couple of high-end devices attached to it that do not have newer drivers. About 5 years ago, we put in the SSD and it's still faster than many current machines available on newer operating systems. For the purpose we use it, it does the job superbly.

Read the reviews before you buy: sounds like the "refurbishment" may be limited and you may wind up with a shabby worn case at minimum. Maybe that's why it's so cheap. I would consider either looking at a more expensive refurb or upgrading your existing system with an SSD ($30 or so for 256GB) and seeing how well it works. Then, if happy, consider the free upgrade to Win 10 that seems to be still available for WIN 7 owners. My experience has been that if your system works well with WIN 7, it'll probably be OK with WIN 10.

I second the HDMI suggestion, sort of ... :greetings10:.

I'm thinking more in line with a good idea to add a graphics card (even a cheap one) that will probably be better than the onboard graphics. Looks in like this PC's case, that would be a half-height card to fit in the case. Many cards will include an HDMI port.

On my used Dell PC, the cheapo card is a lot better even for just browsing graphics on web pages.

That's a very good price for a machine of that configuration.

However, based on the title of this thread, I will attempt to do what you ask. If your current computer does everything you need, and have little reason for upgrading other than moving to Win 10, I'd say just add a SSD to it. Just because Microsoft no longer supports a particular operating system is no reason to move away from it if you like it. I have machines running Windows XP, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, and Windows Server 2003 R2. They each serve a particular purpose where there is no need to upgrade, or have a requirement to stay on the old operating system.

Our machine running Windows XP is an old HP Pentium-4 with 4GB memory that we need to keep that way, since it has a couple of high-end devices attached to it that do not have newer drivers. About 5 years ago, we put in the SSD and it's still faster than many current machines available on newer operating systems. For the purpose we use it, it does the job superbly.
I think just upgrading my current computer would work, but my computer skills are minimal and I like the idea of leaving one computer in operating condition while I step over to the next one.

We've been using remanufactured and refurbished laptops in recent years--well under $300. Other than they not having the most current version of Windows 10, they do all we need. I am looking for those with CD-R because I have the old Microsoft Office and NOLO on CD's to install.

First time I have any software hitch, I have a local geek that upgrades my software and puts things in a better than stock format. I've got great service at nominal prices with these computers--all Dell's.

You may have talked me out of it. I re-sorted the reviews by most recent first and there seems to be a trend. :(

That's the only way to make reviews relevant. I remember reading glowing reviews for a restaurant, going there and being really disappointed. When I reread the reviews after sorting by newest first it was obvious there had been a change in management and the place had gone down the tubes.

Update

For all of the 1.5 of you who actually care, I ended up buying a refurbed Dell from Amazon to pick up Windows 10 and a little speed for $225. The computer I bought is 16 gig RAM with a solid state 480 gig hard drive. So, much speedier than my old computer but I'm struggling to transition from Windows 7 to Windows 10 . I picked up a used monitor so I can run both simultaneously on my desk as I learn and gradually get the new computer up the the same capabilities as the old one.

OK, back to the virus doom and gloom. :greetings10:

For all of the 1.5 of you who actually care, I ended up buying a refurbed Dell from Amazon to pick up Windows 10 and a little speed for $225. The computer I bought is 16 gig RAM with a solid state 480 gig hard drive. So, much speedier than my old computer but I'm struggling to transition from Windows 7 to Windows 10 . I picked up a used monitor so I can run both simultaneously on my desk as I learn and gradually get the new computer up the the same capabilities as the old one.

OK, back to the virus doom and gloom. :greetings10:

I use E bay for refurbed desktops. And sometimes laptops. I show $1820 for a lot of 14 Dells. Give em out for Easter gifts. Or singles for $150-190

Congrats!

When I received the email and it said 480 gig "hard drive", I came back ready to suggest swapping it out for a SSD, but then I saw the Amazon listing that it is a SSD so you will be good for at least 5 years with that setup.

Enjoy!

Sounds like a good deal. It’s hard to go wrong when you figure the Windows 10 retails for $100 or so. I’m sure you already appreciate how much faster a SSD will start up the computer. I think you’ll get used to Windows 10 quicker than you think. Good luck!

Another vote for using a SSD as the boot-up drive. I have one for the first time. It's installed in the Windows 10 PC I purchased two months ago. Also for the first time ever I enabled Sleep mode on a PC since recovery is very quick with the SSD.

One related side issue: If you're downloading a file from a slow site that takes a long time and you plan to do this overnight while you are sleeping, Sleep mode will still occur while the download is taking place. Found this out this morning when my download had stopped at some point. This never dawned on me, because in the past I never used Sleep mode (from Win 3.1/95/98/XP/7). I suspect the same will be true if you are batch processing several files and the processing time will be greater than the Sleep mode.

Last edited:
Another vote for using a SSD as the boot-up drive. I have one for the first time. It's installed in the Windows 10 PC I purchased two months ago. Also for the first time ever I enabled Sleep mode on a PC since recovery is very quick with the SSD.

One related side issue: If you're downloading a file from a slow site that takes a long time and you plan to do this overnight while you are sleeping, Sleep mode will still occur while the download is taking place. Found this out this morning when my download had stopped at some point. This never dawned on me, because in the past I never used Sleep mode (from Win 3.1/95/98/XP/7). I suspect the same will be true if you are batch processing several files and the processing time will be greater than the Sleep mode.

Yes, you have to go into your Power Settings and choose "never sleep" when downloading large files

I bought one of those HP SFF refurbs for DMIL about 5 years ago. A couple weeks ago I upgraded it to Win10 for free. It's working fine for her. It's got 8GB RAM and a 1TB HDD. I think it was $175 on Newegg at the time. Very reliable and plenty fast for her needs.

Our desktop is 9 years old. I built it from parts I bought on Newegg and Amazon. It has an Intel quad core processor running at 3.0 GHz, 8GB RAM, three 1TB HDDs, two graphic cards driving three 22" monitors. I also upgraded it a few weeks ago to Win10 for free. Still one of the fastest PCs I've ever used. But I'm planning to build a new one this year and upgrade the monitors to 2K or maybe 4K.

Back
Top Bottom