Talk me out of this desktop computer

For all of the 1.5 of you who actually care, I ended up buying a refurbed Dell from Amazon to pick up Windows 10 and a little speed for $225. The computer I bought is 16 gig RAM with a solid state 480 gig hard drive. So, much speedier than my old computer but I'm struggling to transition from Windows 7 to Windows 10 . I picked up a used monitor so I can run both simultaneously on my desk as I learn and gradually get the new computer up the the same capabilities as the old one.

OK, back to the virus doom and gloom. :greetings10:

By struggling to transition from Win 7 to Win 10, are you referring to getting used to the new start of programs with the tiles? I never wanted to transition so for Win 10 bought a piece of software for about $5 to make the start menu look more like the way I'm used to. There are other things I found "new" :( with Win 10 that I really didn't care for. One is the too many options for power savings settings. I never could get that to work right.

By struggling to transition from Win 7 to Win 10, are you referring to getting used to the new start of programs with the tiles? I never wanted to transition so for Win 10 bought a piece of software for about $5 to make the start menu look more like the way I'm used to. There are other things I found "new" :( with Win 10 that I really didn't care for. One is the too many options for power savings settings. I never could get that to work right.
On my Windows 7 computer, I just keep the desktop screen full of shortcut icons for all my favorite sites. It was easy to add an shortcut, just reduce the window size to half, click on the URL and drag it to the desktop. I'm still trying to figure out how to add shortcuts on Windows 10

Additionally, I want to transition Thunderbird and iTunes and all the old files / emails that go with them. I need to figure out how to do that.

The Windows 7 shell is still available, but it says developer quit maintaining it several years ago - not sure if I want to go there with a dying app.

For all of the 1.5 of you who actually care, I ended up buying a refurbed Dell from Amazon to pick up Windows 10 and a little speed for $225. The computer I bought is 16 gig RAM with a solid state 480 gig hard drive. So, much speedier than my old computer but I'm struggling to transition from Windows 7 to Windows 10 . I picked up a used monitor so I can run both simultaneously on my desk as I learn and gradually get the new computer up the the same capabilities as the old one.

OK, back to the virus doom and gloom. :greetings10:

Enjoy. Yes, it's amazing a used and inexpensive computer can be so fast, compared to ones from 5 years ago.

And what I also like is that the newer CPUs are power sipper. It is like going from a 12-mpg monstrosity to a 35-mpg new car.

On my Windows 7 computer, I just keep the desktop screen full of shortcut icons for all my favorite sites. It was easy to add an shortcut, just reduce the window size to half, click on the URL and drag it to the desktop. I'm still trying to figure out how to add shortcuts on Windows 10

Additionally, I want to transition Thunderbird and iTunes and all the old files / emails that go with them. I need to figure out how to do that.

The Windows 7 shell is still available, but it says developer quit maintaining it several years ago - not sure if I want to go there with a dying app.

In Win 10, for shortcuts, I do a right mouse click on the item's icon, then then chose "send to" and copy the shortcut to the desktop.. Then can I move to shortcut to where ever I choose.

I was using classic shell til it was no longer supported, so I spent about $5 for a paid (one time, not subscription :)) program called Start10. I'm happy with that as I really don't like Win 10's tiles.

OP here. I figured out that my Windows 10 was in something called tablet mode. No idea why since it is installed on a desktop. Things are working better now that I fixed that.

Back
Top Bottom