Tax software functionality and deals

I was asked to verify my cc as well. I assumed it was a safety measure for downloaded software, since it is immediately delivered.

The physical gift card is also likely an “inventory control “ measure.

I have used AARP free tax service for the past 15 years. They use a tax program of which I have checked the results a couple of times with TT and TA. Since the results came out pretty much the same I stopped the checking and just take my paperwork and sit with them while they enter the information and triple check the work with 2 people.

We have been into RMD for a few years now and the only fluctuations in income are dividends and interest and maybe a dollar or two in SS.

The preparation is no cost to me and I have people with way more knowledge than I and a tax program doing the work. I usually take a couple of minutes to quickly check against the previous year tax out of curiosity to see if any changes.
I appreciate the time donated by the AARP volunteers after years of pencil and paper.

Cheers!

I won't be around much during tax time and I am thinking that, for the 1st time, I would be doing an online return.
I used to think that for privacy reason, it was not a good idea. However, I just realized that they get your full return when you file anyway...

I missed the best deals, and just installed my download that's been sitting on desk for a month. It's $5 cheaper now. They got me.

I doubt many here are still using TaxAct after all their price increases. But if so, there is a 30% AMEX offer available.

I doubt many here are still using TaxAct after all their price increases. But if so, there is a 30% AMEX offer available.
yep, after they jacked up their prices i switched to FreeTaxUSA (also known as TaxHawk). i didn't have high expectations going in since it was so cheap, but i was absolutely floored with how much better it was compared to TaxAct. it handled both the federal and state forms with ease. in fact, it is so good i pay for the deluxe upgrade, not because i need anything from it, but because i want to support the developers because the cost is too low for the amazing product i'm getting.

been a happy filer with them many years now.

Last edited:
yep, after they jacked up their prices i switched to FreeTaxUSA (also known as TaxHawk). i didn't have high expectations going in since it was so cheap, but i was absolutely floored with how much better it was compared to TaxAct. it handled both the federal and state forms with ease. in fact, it is so good i pay for the deluxe upgrade, not because i need anything from it, but because i want to support the developers because the cost is too low for the amazing product i'm getting.

I have been using TaxHawk for a few years (deluxe edition) and have been very pleased with it.

Can it handle K-1s?

the only thing i've noticed that FreeTaxUSA/TaxHawk doesn't support appears to be importing of 1099 transactions. they assume that all your cost basis is already reported to the IRS, so you can just enter a summary for each broker and short vs long term combination, and leave the individual trades out.

the problem is if you have things that are not reported to the IRS, e.g. crypto. the software only lets you enter one transaction at a time -- there is no CSV import. so if you have thousands of transactions, that method won't fly. in this case, you can still summarize and efile, but you must also physically mail the IRS all the individual transactions via form 8453. so if you know your way around CSV/excel you can manually create this report.

I am quite disappointed with H&R block online "Premium" software.

1) It is not possible to view the forms being filled to check accuracy (the downloaded version did not have that problem.
2) the software allows me to deduct taxes paid to the state of AZ in my CA return, although this is not allowed since AZ reimburses the tax
3) the software messages me that I owe a penalty in AZ although the whole tax is returned to me.
3) Data entry is not intuitive at all. It is not as good as the downloaded version and much worse than Taxact.

I am not very confident that there are no other issues I didn't find.

Boom! There it is!

TT Deluxe Fed + State available today on Amazon for an effective $29.99.

Price is $39.99 and includes buying a $10 gift card.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Software-Federal-Exclusive-Download/dp/B09L5QN4SF

As of this writing, you have 20 hours and 31 minutes left to order.

TT has been working reasonably well for me, for something like 10 years or more now. I'm signed up with them on a subscription, for automatic payment every year, to the tune of around $100. Something tells me I need to cancel the subscription and wait for the special deals.

TT has been working reasonably well for me, for something like 10 years or more now. I'm signed up with them on a subscription, for automatic payment every year, to the tune of around $100. Something tells me I need to cancel the subscription and wait for the special deals.

Yes, same issue with H&R Block.
Every year I get offered to buy the new version directly from them in advance.
Problem is
  • Its not ready to use at that time, so early means nothing.
  • I'm not ready as waiting for investment documentation, so early means nothing.
  • The price is always a lot more than buying it on sale later, which is still before I can use it.

You DEFINITELY need to cancel that. Major ripoff.

BTW, you can return TurboTax if you are unhappy with it, no questions asked. You can decide if it's worth it.

Using TurboTax.

Some NC Tax forms not finalized.

Estimate 2/10/2022 File by Mail ready.

Estimate 2/24/2022 E-File ready.

I intended to use TurboTax Deluxe but when I clicked continue I was informed I need TurboTax Premier. This because I sold a used boat for more than I paid for it 4 years ago and had to pay capital gains.

TT Premier is $69.

My Federal Tax refund is exactly $69. WTH:confused:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Using TurboTax.

Some NC Tax forms not finalized.

Estimate 2/10/2022 File by Mail ready.

Estimate 2/24/2022 E-File ready.

I intended to use TurboTax Deluxe but when I clicked continue I was informed I need TurboTax Premier. This because I sold a used boat for more than I paid for it 4 years ago and had to pay capital gains.

TT Premier is $69.

My Federal Tax refund is exactly $69. WTH:confused:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

So buy the download version for $40 and start over. Or find a discounted link like Fidelity has to save $10-20.

BTW TT Premier online is (or used to be) equivalent to the download version of Deluxe in terms of features.

Back
Top Bottom