Teco Electric Manatee Viewing Center

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
So I live near a very interesting attraction at Apollo Beach, FL (just south of Tampa). You have probably heard of our famous manatee population. Well they get cold in the winter when the ocean temps drop into the 70's. They gravitate to warm spring-fed lakes and streams. And they also flock to the Teco Electric Manatee Viewing Center, or more accurately, to the warm power plant water that discharges into the bay. Such a discharge would seem inherently bad for the environment. But it certainly is not for the hundreds of manatees that hang out, or the many other species that like the warmer Teco water. You will see different breeds of shark, huge Tarpon, and assorted other fish. And they are right below you when you stand along the railing and look down. I believe admission is still free. You should check it out during Dec-Mar when thing are really hopping. Here is a link to the viewing center homepage. If you scroll halfway down, you will see something that says, Check To See If Manatees Are At The Center Using Our LiveWebcams!https://www.tampaelectric.com/company/mvc/
The paragraph has a link for Webcam West or Webcam East. You can actually control the camera for 30ish second, then the next person in line gets to try, and so on. Each new camera operator is trying to find the best angle to see manatees.

My parents lived in Sun City Center, FL just south of Big Bend and going to Big Bend to see the manatees was a ritual on our winter visits.

Last time in FL we went to Manatee park, near Ft. Myers. Saw many, just lazing about. We may give the TECO site a visit while down there in February. Thanks for the heads up.

I've been to the TECO Electric Manatee Viewing Center several times. When temperatures drop in the winter there may be hundreds of manatees just hanging around.

Thanks for the tip :) We're looking for a good excuse to go to Big Ray's Fish Camp for a Grouper Sandwich :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom