Texas Electric Providers Question

powertochoose.org may help show the plans available.

I'm currently (ha - electric pun) looking to change from Reliant as they are just sky high on our current rates and I've been too busy to notice until now. No deals for loyalty, so most people in my area know to get the best deal available and make note to change when contract is over with. Read the notes apparently to see what the window is to change over without incurring their cancellation fee.

Reliant is insane as soon as your contract ends, but has good offers for new customers. Gexa same and they appear to have "average" customer service. I'm looking at Green Mountain, Champion and Think Energy (which seems to have better than average customer reviews).

Thing I need to know is whether I need to unfreeze my credit to get a new provider. It says in many of the fine print that they do a "soft pull" to check whether they want to require a deposit, but if you have your credit frozen, then even a soft pull will cause them to likely reject the pull completely, right?

powertochoose.org may help show the plans available.

Yes, I actually started there.

We ended up going on a month to month plan with TXU. It was the least expensive of the month to month plans that would count us a new customer even though we hadn't moved (some plans only give you new customer pricing if you have also moved your residence).

The plan is to use TXU until around November or December then to sign probably a 12 month contract under what will hopefully be the lower cost part of the year.

Check Champion Energy. I have had Reliant and they got to expensive then switched to TXU which also was getting higher so.....
I found ChampionEnergy via Powertochoose.org.
Champion use to have a minimum usage fee but removed it a few years ago.
Good Customer Service. Used a promo code and have been using them since 2011. Just renewed at 36 months with a .055 energy charge.

I also have a $50 referral bill credit code for both me and the new customer. The new customer will get a code for referrals also once account is established.

We chose Think Energy for our two homes. They have reasonable rates along with good customer service.

Back
Top Bottom