The Census Getting Too Personal?

As a person who had the responsibility to analyze the results of hiring process declining to answer the question about race/ethnicity results in UNDER COUNT OF WHITES, in my observation they are the folks who take offense to the question.

I do understand those who want to stand on principal but as a result they will disadvantage themselves whenever census data is used to evaluate whether or not resources are allocated proportionally across all ethnic groups.

The reason why the census parses out Asian groups is a not known, specifically, to me but those of us on the west coast know that Asians do not consider themselves one racial/ethnic group. Just ask them after a glass or two of beer.

. . . whenever census data is used to evaluate whether or not resources are allocated proportionally across all ethnic groups.
Right, good point. I think many of those who refuse to answer the question are eager to impede any allocation of resources according to ethnicity.

... whenever census data is used to evaluate whether or not resources are allocated proportionally across all ethnic groups. (snip)

Right, good point. I think many of those who refuse to answer the question are eager to impede any allocation of resources according to ethnicity.
I think many of those who were targeted for under-allocation in the past suspect that the real reason behind unwillingness to answer the question is a desire to impede detection and correction of disproportionate allocation of resources in the future. IMO, refusal to answer the question plays into the hand of those who are so motivated, even if the "refuser" has no such desire.

I don't give a rat's furry fanny about the allocation of anything. The concentration of power is, in my opinion, always extremely dangerous to our freedom. I will do anything in my power to hinder that concentration. Right now the federal government is getting far too involved in the lives of individual citizens.

I don't give a rat's furry fanny about the allocation of anything. The concentration of power is, in my opinion, always extremely dangerous to our freedom....

I think it was mentioned before, but I think it deserves repeating/emphasis.

Most of the commercials keep talking about "getting your 'fair share'". Where in the Constitution does it say that we are to get our 'fair share' of any *thing*, other than 'representation in Congress'?

But this is all about - hey, it's a give away, make sure you get yours or the other guy will! Politicians have the public fighting each other for the table scraps and it is disgusting. It is not what this country was meant to be and not what it could be.

-ERD50

I think it was mentioned before, but I think it deserves repeating/emphasis.

Most of the commercials keep talking about "getting your 'fair share'". Where in the Constitution does it say that we are to get our 'fair share' of any *thing*, other than 'representation in Congress'?

But this is all about - hey, it's a give away, make sure you get yours or the other guy will! Politicians have the public fighting each other for the table scraps and it is disgusting. It is not what this country was meant to be and not what it could be.

-ERD50

I agree completely; I'm hoping people will wake up to the power grab going on in Washington but it probably won't happen.

I refused to answer the question, writing in "I am SO over this crap".
Good to hear that it sounds like federal agents won't be visiting me.

I am considered a liberal on most issues, but I think it's time to put
the race thing behind us. We have a black President for God's sake
(one that I supported and still do support, especially today).

So, I got a postcard today reminding me to fill out the census. This, in addition to the census itself and the letter I got before the census. I finaly got off the Publisher's Clearinghouse junk mail list, only to have the Census Bureau take Ed McMahan's place. How much does this BS cost!?

So, I got a postcard today reminding me to fill out the census. This, in addition to the census itself and the letter I got before the census. I finaly got off the Publisher's Clearinghouse junk mail list, only to have the Census Bureau take Ed McMahan's place. How much does this BS cost!?

Even more if someone visits you.

Enumerating the population is in the US Constitution. You advocate for an amendment change?

I refused to answer the question, writing in "I am SO over this crap".

I am considered a liberal on most issues, but I think it's time to put
the race thing behind us. We have a black President for God's sake

:LOL: I Like that answer! Much better than RACE:HUMAN.

Also nice to see that we can be in agreement on this, though we may have different views in general.

More to come. I got my reminder post card today, after getting my "if you need help, call this #" postcard with the same info included on the census form itself.

I think they are going to announce they need to buy all new GM delivery vehicles to make up for the wear/tear of delivering all this census mail ;)

-ERD50

Even more if someone visits you.
I hope they do. Then we'll get to have a discussion about how I'm supposed to determine my race.

Enumerating the population is in the US Constitution. You advocate for an amendment change?
I have no qualms with the enumeration part. I'm just wondering if they'll ever quit wasting my tax money with superfluous mailings.

I haven't seen or received any census material for 2010 yet, but does anyone believe that if the government wanted to find out the info they are asking about they could? :whistle:

I have also not received a census form.
Anyone else on this board in the same shape?

I'm just wondering if they'll ever quit wasting my tax money with superfluous mailings.
Hey hey hey, the Census bureau's bulk business is the only revenue holding down first-class postage rates...

Can you imagine doing the 2020 census by websites & e-mail? Not a spam filter in the world would be able to stop that onslaught.

Back
Top Bottom