The Cryptocurrency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^^

“Vanguard’s take

Since cryptocurrencies are highly speculative in their current state, Vanguard believes their long-term investment case is weak. As many of our investors know, our investing philosophy encourages staying the course and tuning out the noise. Our time-tested principles emphasize that investing for the long-term is essential and reacting to short-term trends can be costly for one’s portfolio. While we don’t currently offer cryptocurrencies as an investment option, we acknowledge the impact they’re making in the investing world. As cryptocurrencies and blockchain become increasingly mainstream, we’ll continue to monitor their development and discern the best path forward for our investors.”

I can’t know if cryptocurrencies will make me wealthier but I surely know that Vanguard did already, so it’s a high bar for me to dismiss the evaluation of this new asset class by the world’s largest investment firm.

I found this article useful for links to current commentary and stories about the subject.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/10/why-the-big-short-guys-think-bitcoin-is-a-bubble.html

As has been pointed out, many have enough, and don't wish to take on the risk of investing in an unregulated asset that has no worth (Taleb says this in paper I mentioned previously):

Comment 1: Why BTC is worth exactly 0
Gold and other precious metals are largely maintenance
free, do not degrade over an historical horizon, and
do not require maintenance to refresh their physical
properties over time.
Cryptocurrencies require a sustained amount of interest
in them.
Bitcoin, Currencies, and Fragility - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
What happens during sustained internet disruption? Also, I agree that something more interesting always comes along, and think it wise to only put money into this with your eyes wide open, and able to accept a large or complete loss.

It is always worth considering the global perspective as many people live in countries with extremely volatile local currencies and economies.

Crypto is unique in being a globally accessible ‘value’

A US (or other developed economy) citizen may not really perceive the risk of holding cash that might implode. Having said that we are getting closer every year.

If a "crypto item" is to become a legal form of "money" and is used for universal transactions, what will happen to the "cartel" of banks (Central banks, the FED in the U.S.) that make up and control the global currencies?

Keep in mind these central banks control the following: interest rates, the amount of legitimate currency in circulation, the buying and selling of bonds which are used to store the value of the currency and pay a dividend, inflation, currency swaps with other nations, etc.

In other words, what will become of the current banking system (global and your local S & L)?

Last edited:
^^^^^^

“Vanguard’s take

Since cryptocurrencies are highly speculative in their current state, Vanguard believes their long-term investment case is weak. ...

I can’t know if cryptocurrencies will make me wealthier but I surely know that Vanguard did already, so it’s a high bar for me to dismiss the evaluation of this new asset class by the world’s largest investment firm.

Interesting that Vanguard feel they need to address the subject. Obviously they must have a lot of people asking them how to buy crypto to put this out.

They specifically talk about long term holding and tuning out the noise. Something that is even more important when holding cryptocurrency and I have to say that long term holding Bitcoin has obviously done well. Much better than anything at Vanguard (I am a Vanguard investor also)

As far as I can see Vanguards US Growth VWUSX has performed the best over five years averaging 26.84% (10y 20.2%) which is pretty incredible in the stock world. But if you add Bitcoin to the five year chart there is a stark contrast...

Screen-Shot-2021-11-05-at-12-05-23-PM.jpg

ZLnQ5Mv

ZLnQ5Mv

Last edited:
Another interesting bit of adoption news from a few days ago...
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/us-...er-advocating-for-spot-bitcoin-etf-2021-11-03

Today, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Chairman Gary Gensler was sent a letter written by two U.S. Congressmen, Tom Emmer (MN-06) and Darren Soto (FL-09), advocating for the approval of a spot bitcoin exchange-traded fund (ETF) to begin trading in the country.

“We question why, if you are comfortable allowing trading in an ETF based on derivatives contracts, you are not equally or more comfortable allowing trading to commence in ETFs based on spot Bitcoin,” the letter said. “Bitcoin spot ETFs are based directly on the asset, which inherently provides more protection for investors.”

Last edited:
If a "crypto item" is to become a legal form of "money" and is used for universal transactions, what will happen to the "cartel" of banks (Central banks, the FED in the U.S.) that make up and control the global currencies?

Keep in mind these central banks control the following: interest rates, the amount of legitimate currency in circulation, the buying and selling of bonds which are used to store the value of the currency and pay a dividend, inflation, currency swaps with other nations, etc.

In other words, what will become of the current banking system (global and your local S & L)?

I'm wondering how fractional reserve banking can ever work with a money supply that is forever fixed and, therefore, how a completely bitcoin economy could ever grow.

This is really the most critical question. So far there’s no good answer. The big central banks around the world are trying to figure this out as we speak.

In addition to the things you mention, the banking regulatory system also makes sure deposits are backed, banking reserves are met, loans meet standards, interbank transactions are reconciled and closed. Add payments and transfers and the scope is even greater. This is the backbone of our modern economy. There is a detailed regularity and accounting system in place, both domestic and global, to ensure its smooth operation, and it doesn’t work with digital currencies (or any other kind) outside the financial system.

Money becomes currency not when it is issued but when the banks receive it in deposit and then put it into action by lending it. Currency outside the banking system would leave the banks, credit card companies and other financial institutions with less of a role or perhaps no role at all.

Also, just to repeat once again, crypto currency is not currency, despite the name. It’s barter material and currently classified as a high risk asset. I think RunningMan makes a good point when he says the current commitment and holdings of cryptos by billionaires will ensure they’ll be around for a while. I think the obsession with bitcoin detracts from the more important and real issues of how to develop and roll out digital currencies around the world.

Last edited:
The Bank of International Settlements, often referred to as the “Bank for Central Banks” has an initiative underway to study digital currencies and make recommendations. The working group includes The Bank of Canada, European Central Bank, Bank of Japan, Sveriges Riksbank, Swiss National Bank, Bank of England, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve and Bank for International Settlements. Here’s their web page and first report in PDF and podcast form. https://www.bis.org/publ/othp33.htm

This is really the most critical question. So far there’s no good answer. The big central banks around the world are trying to figure this out as we speak.

In addition to the things you mention, the banking regulatory system also makes sure deposits are backed, banking reserves are met, loans meet standards, interbank transactions are reconciled and closed. Add payments and transfers and the scope is even greater. This is the backbone of our modern economy. There is a detailed regularity and accounting system in place, both domestic and global, to ensure its smooth operation, and it doesn’t work with digital currencies (or any other kind) outside the financial system.

Money becomes currency not when it is issued but when the banks receive it in deposit and then put it into action by lending it. Currency outside the banking system would leave the banks, credit card companies and other financial institutions with less of a role or perhaps no role at all.

Also, just to repeat once again, crypto currency is not currency, despite the name. It’s barter material and currently classified as a high risk asset. I think RunningMan makes a good point when he says the current commitment and holdings of cryptos by billionaires will ensure they’ll be around for a while. I think the obsession with bitcoin detracts from the more important and real issues of how to develop and roll out digital currencies around the world.

You said it better than I did, for sure. A while back, there was an animated video circulating that explained the creation of "money". I believe it was titled "Money is Debt" and it walked through the ages of time depicting how lending created banks and how the eventual banking system evolved. Crypto doesn't fit anywhere in that scheme of things.

All good questions. What happens to a system whose many parts become redundant when a new system arrives?

Or put another way. How can the old system adapt to be useful with the new system.? Many people do not want the responsibility of making their own permanent transactions. They will still want to pay someone in teh middle to help them.

You said it better than I did, for sure. A while back, there was an animated video circulating that explained the creation of "money". I believe it was titled "Money is Debt" and it walked through the ages of time depicting how lending created banks and how the eventual banking system evolved. Crypto doesn't fit anywhere in that scheme of things.

Crypto doesn’t fit in this scheme but central bank digital currency will probably have a role. One weak link in the current system is payments. Here in the US is still takes 3 days to transfer money from one bank account to another, even though the transaction is, for the most part, immediate. Also, credit and debit card issuers charge high fees. Synthetic currencies such as bitcoin are looking to carve out a role for themselves based on payments.

Central banks are studying how to create and manage digital currencies to address those issues and needs, along with other parts of financial infrastructure. I think it’s pretty likely we will soon see some type of digital currency. When we do, it’s unlikely this digital currency will be formed and transact outside the banking system. No one knows if any of the current cryptos will have a role. For now that is unlikely, because by definition currency needs to have stable value and these assets don’t.

The risk of holding an asset like bitcoin is, if it is not included in a new digital currency scheme, it’s use may decline and value fall dramatically.

Many thanks to all that have sent me such nice messages. Great to see such interest. I won’t be able to answer all the personal messages send to me, but I will aim to post answers to key questions here on a weekly basis.

What happens to a system whose many parts become redundant when a new system arrives?

Or put another way. How can the old system adapt to be useful with the new system.? Many people do not want the responsibility of making their own permanent transactions. They will still want to pay someone in teh middle to help them.

Great to see all your posts here Capitan. What we will see is two streams of growth – fintech companies who are essentially “Bitcoin native”, and then traditional banks who make slow but steady steps to grow/adapt into Sats. Over time, there is a convergence, with companies on both sides either failing/succeeding, and in some cases merging into combined entities.

Central banks are studying how to create and manage digital currencies to address those issues and needs, along with other parts of financial infrastructure. I think it’s pretty likely we will soon see some type of digital currency. No one knows if any of the current cryptos will have a role. For now that is unlikely, because by definition currency needs to have stable value and these assets don’t.
A core role of Bitcoin vs Government digital currencies is that Bitcoin will serve as a defense against deviation / money printing. Second, digital money may have technical restrictions put on is as to how it can be used (eg, haven’t paid taxes or a fine? Banned from spending overseas. Receive a Government unemployment benefit? Can’s spend on alcohol). Third, certain Governments will ban the use of other Governments currencies in their countries due to political reasons. Bitcoin is a defense against all these concerns (although having said that I do see merit in Government money (essentially our taxpayer money) being restricted for uses in some cases, the alcoholic receiving a government pension being a good example).

As for price stability, to a Bitcoin native person, Bitcoin is perfectly stable. One Sat always = one Sat (just like USD always = one USD). All a matter of perception. The problem of course being that the USD whilst always + to one USD is not fixed in supply, and can be printed infinitely. What we do know is that based on historical data, the USD declines in value over time, whereas BTC rises over time.

…crypto currency is not currency.

This is a subjective statement, and may actually be irrelevant in any case for all practical purposes in terms of how Sats are used. [MOD EDIT]
I'm wondering how fractional reserve banking can ever work with a money supply that is forever fixed and, therefore, how a completely bitcoin economy could ever grow.

Its primarily because the total supply of Bitcoin (whilst fixed) can be infinitely divided (first down into Sats, 1/100,000,000th of a bitcoin, and then further into micro-Sats over second layer networks). Visualize a pizza, being sliced into ever smaller shares and divided by ever more people. Or maybe explained another way, in reverse, the Government cannot simply make us all "richer" by printing more money. All that happens is that whilst there is more money, the totally amount of what it can purchase remains the same. hence the "cost" of such things rise in nominal terms, which is what economists refer to as "inflation".

What happens during sustained internet disruption?

In such a case all the Bitcoin would disappear! Yikes! OK, no lol that not really what happens. Bitcoin is a decentralized mathematical algorithm. It continues to exist regardless of any powercut or outage, or any failure of a device on the network. A far far greater risk is a bank’s IT systems not only going down, but being irreparably and maliciously harmed. This is a very real risk, with banks operating on extremely old and archaic legacy systems. If we ever get into war scenarios with a country like China, watch out. (Bitcoin by the way, is our defence against that). You would think that one of the last Bitcoin skeptics Nassem Taleb of "black swan event" fame would be aware of the likelihood of such "unlikely" events occurring... :cool:

Taleb says BTC is worth exactly 0

Well, he’s been proven wrong every single second since Bitcoin was born 13 years ago. As an economist (if that’s what he is?), he should know that the value any asset is precisely the price others are willing to pay for it. Bitcoin is exchanged globally in hundreds of thousands of transactions, 24/7. The market determines price, and that price is based on a function of supply and demand. Same concept applies to fiat currencies by the way – they are only worth the value others are willing to attribute to them. This is why we see fiat currencies decline in value as people over time lose faith in the value the represent.

Grayscale's GBTC (close end Bitcoin fund) application to become a spot Bitcoin ETF is officially 'noticed' at SEC

I think there is a 45 day response window. The response is unlikely to be positive but you never know.

Let’s see. It has to come eventually. We are already seeing other countries allow spot ETFs. Many of those in the know of “how things work in the US” are speculating that the time gap is to allow “insiders” (politicians, the rich and powerful, maybe even parts of the Government) to acquire larger holdings first before “announcing” a true spot ETF, (which they know will lead to massive inflows and price appreciation). This then makes money work “like its supposed to work” – ie - benefit the rich whilst retaining control and dominance over the masses.

And how about something negative. This is a risk to many industries of course.

CHIP SHORTAGE: CAUSES, SEVERITY AND THE IMPACT ON BITCOIN
ASIC miners have been in short supply for some time now, with prominent Bitcoiners already commenting on this issue in early 2021

Captain, well it is a “problem” for miners who want to make more money mining (ie essentially the arbitrage between the cost of electricity and equipment and the BTC price). The headline is somewhat misleading, as its not a problem for BTC per se, (the reason being that Bitcoin and the network that powers it keeps running by those mining with existing mining equipment). But yes, when there is a positive price arbitrage, every miner wants more equipment to mine more Sats. When China really cracked down on mining a few months back the price arbitrage for other miners globally rocketed up, hence the increased demand in equipment.

Yes thanks for this post. It is nice to see everything about it in one place. Like any new technology, there are people willing to rip off the uninformed investor. So it is good to see some knowledgeable people here. What I fail to understand is why they tolerate the skepticism.

I might have to dig into the “ignore” feature for some posters (is there a way to limit that to a certain thread?)

I hope the folks posting useful information continue to do so. I don’t think it’s particularly valuable to read _repeated_ challenges of crypto characteristics or ad-hominem replies.

Keith/Dog, I think we should welcome (or at least tolerate) the “skeptics” posting here. Its all part of the learning process. Everyone has their own way and process of coming to accept new concepts - for some that process is somewhat “public” and can result in a range of emotions being displayed. They also “contribute” by providing topics that can be explained/clarified/rebutted. Of course some “objections” can become rather repetitive or lacking in logic, but I still think discussion should still be welcomed in the interests of investor education.

OK, that's it from me this week from me. Chat again soon guys. Hodl strong. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Its primarily because the total supply of Bitcoin (whilst fixed) can be infinitely divided (first down into Sats, 1/100,000,000th of a bitcoin, and then further into micro-Sats over second layer networks). Visualize a pizza, being sliced into ever smaller shares and divided by ever more people. Or maybe explained another way, in reverse, the Government cannot simply make us all "richer" by printing more money. All that happens is that whilst there is more money, the totally amount of what it can purchase remains the same. hence the "cost" of such things rise in nominal terms, which is what economists refer to as "inflation".

I think this is part of the paradigm shift that ultimately hurts "common" acceptance in the idea that this might one day be a real life currency. We simple humans can accept the idea of a widget, then a bigger and bigger pile of widgets (even if that pile is ultimately capped at a very big number). But the concept of a micro teeny part of a widget? Nah. It seems BTC needs to keep dividing down and not a lot of people are good at long division ;

As far as skepticism from the rest of us who can get around the math, personally, it's the marketing: The evangelism, the "smart young hip we get it" vs those who don't, the memes and lingo, the tech-bro culture the satoshi origins and fake-claims... it all comes off feeling like the cliché cool kid in crowd, and can be off putting - there is an edge of dismissive ageism that wafts from many in this sub-culture (in general, not saying here in this thread, but in the larger fan club). For example, I don't hold Tesla anymore because I don't care for some of Musk's personal actions and statements. I know that's not the best purely financial choice but I don't care. But embracing him as a big public ambassador is polarizing.

I know I have a financial stake in this stuff because many of my holdings do already, so that's enough for me for now.

I suppose it is possible that I have never heard of the concepts of infinite sets or inflation, but let's just stipulate that you have now educated me. Well done, my young friend.

But my question, which you have not answered yet, is how can the economy grow when the money supply is fixed? For simplicity, let's assume that the money supply consists of 100 bitcoins (or any subdivision thereof you care to name). Let's further assume that the total output of the economy is 100 widgets per year and each widget is worth one bitcoin. Now, I am an aspiring widget manufacturer. Under the current fractional banking regime, I go to the bank and I get a loan for 10 bitcoins to build a new widget factory, which I predict will produce 3 widgets per year. The consequent debt increases the money supply and my eventual repayment of the debt decreases the money supply. But, importantly to my ancient mind, the money to help me build my widget factory does not come by taking it from some other productive use in the economy. Rather, this extra money is just created by debt and then destroyed by repayment, but it nonetheless results in the expansion of the total economic output because it has built a new widget factor and the economy now produces more widgets overall.

I see a problem with a fixed money supply, regardless of what sub-units you use to count it. First, when you temporarily remove out of the money supply the 10 bitcoins needed to build a new factory, you have only 90 bitcoins left to buy 100 widgets. The price per widget must necessarily drop to 0.9 bitcoin. Perhaps the least efficient widget manufacturer goes out of business as a result, but you still have, at least temporarily, a drop in the output of the economy.

Even if we assume that the factory gets built instantaneously and no one goes out business, at the end of the day, I now have a new widget factory that makes 3 widgets per year and the total output of the economy is 103 widgets. Since there are still only 100 bitcoins, each widget should now be worth 100/103 or 0.97 bitcoins.

Either way, don't you have deflation? In my antediluvian understanding, that means economic activity will slow, because people will be less likely to buy a widget today if they believe they can get one cheaper next month. Moreover, who will be inspired to borrow money to build a new widget factory in the first place when it drives the price of widgets down in both the short and the long term? And why would banks be inspired to lend that money?

Indeed, why would an economy ever expand in the face of inevitable deflation?

Last edited:
Gumby,

That was a lot to digest in one post. I have a general idea of how the fractional reserve banking system works, but will have to think about what you said a few more times so it can sink in.

One question that comes to mind, that I am hoping you can elaborate on, is did the economy grow before we had the current financial system?

I am not exactly clear on when the system that was based on gold ended and if there was a fractional reserve banking system in existence at the same time as the gold backed system.

It seems to me that the divide between those opposing or embracing bitcoin might be similar to those embracing a gold standard versus the fiat standard.

I think that to embrace bitcoin, you have to be of the mindset that the gold standard is better than the current fiat standard. Then, once you prefer the gold standard, the argument that bitcoin is a better version of gold can gain some traction. If you think that the current fiat standard is the best way, then you probably can never be convinced about bitcoin.

I started my "help my understand crypto" thread quite a while ago and have been reading and researching things since then. I have become convinced that things are changing and we need to understand what is going on. However, I still wonder about the pump and dump nature of a lot of the crypto space and things that twist my mind like people paying hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of Ethereum for certified ownership of jpg file pictures of "bored apes at their yacht club" (otherwise known as "non-fungible tokens NFT's).

The other thing that I am struggling to understand is whether the infinite divisibility of bitcoin into satoshis is just inflation running in the other direction, but ending up the same way.

37andhappy,

Thanks for the hard work posting all this content.

One comment about what you said regarding bitcoin being the best performing asset class.

Some commentators keep saying that we need to move beyond valuing everything in comparison to the USD. So bitcoin priced in USD shows good return. Bitcoin priced in gold shows good return.

But like the gold bugs like to say, gold priced in a Roman toga, sandels and belt has remained constant for 2000 years.

I just tried to buy another computer monitor, the same model as last year. Last year it cost me $129. Yesterday it was priced at $250. So bitcoin priced in computer monitors may not show as good a performance, but still better than USD priced in computer monitors.

Another thing that pops to mind is that a lot of the gold or crypto commentators say that you should have 10% of your assets in gold or 1% of your assets in bitcoin. That way after the SHTF, the 10x increase in the price of gold or the 100x increase in the price of bitcoin will replace the 90% or 99% loss in the rest of your portfolio.

That logic seems flawed to me because it ignores the increase in the purchasing cost of goods and services. So, while your $1,000,000 portfolio is still worth $1,000,000, its purchasing power is only equivalent to $100,000 or $10,000 in today's USD.

If you buy into that line of thinking and listen to guys like Robert Breedlove, it would only make sense to have 100% of your assets in bitcoin. That is a huge stretch to wrap one's mind around.

BTC is actually not a good currency due to the fixed limit. Prices would have to decline for things to stay even. Who is going to make loans when they could just sit on BTC and gain by hoarding as deflation runs. You can't attach interest to a fixed element. Gold is also bad since it doesn't expand enough to accommodate growth and was abandoned by the fractional banking system.

Excellent post by Gumby

I see a problem with a fixed money supply, regardless of what sub-units you use to count it.

The history of economics shows no fixed rate monetary system has ever survived. In every case, without exception, either the state has failed or the currency standard has failed. Gold, most often mentioned as a basis for currency value, has never succeeded. The most recent effort, Breton Woods agreement of 1944, ended badly when the US abandoned the gold standard in 1971.

The expansion of the monetary base is a prerequisite if we want more people to be involved in economic activity and benefit from economic growth. This was a painful lesson we learned during the great depression of the ‘30’s. Without the monetary expansion it doesn’t happen.

Note that the question of whether an economy can run on a fixed supply of bitcoin is different than the question of whether bitcoin can be a legitimate investment. For example, there is a fixed supply of Van Gogh paintings and it is my impression (uncorroborated by any actual research) that the price for which they are sold is always higher than the price at which they last sold. Which makes them not only a legitimate investment, but also likely a good one.

Some might say "Yes, but a Van Gogh painting has a real value, not just the prospect that someone will pay you more for it later, because you can hang it on your wall and enjoy looking at it." But bitcoin also has a real value independent of the prospect of price appreciation -- you can use it to hold and transfer wealth free from the prying eyes of any government. But just as tastes may change and people may no longer find a Van Gogh appealing, so may the allure of bitcoin fade (and quickly) when governments find a way to track it. I'm sure my friend 37 can tell us at length why that is not possible, but I would not underestimate human ingenuity.

Right now, bitcoin is as legitimate an investment as any. You buy some in the hopes that the price will increase. And I hope that all of you who are currently buying it will do well and sell at a giant profit - which you will almost certainly measure in US Dollars.

^^^^ The asset Bitcoin is fixed, but the asset class “cryptocurrency” is anything but, and vast liquidity is being absorbed across some 6,000+ different cryptocurrencies. There must come a consolidation someday but, for now, everything is “to the moon,” just as when anything “.com” once had stupid amounts of cash thrown at it, regardless of viability or utility. Apple was the only FAANG stock around. Will Bitcoin be Apple or Pets.com? Or will Bitcoin Cash or other improved forks emerge as a Netflix? Or will all 6,000+ currencies become Webvans.com and be replaced by Googles and Amazons that aren’t even invented yet?

I know, I know. Citing hard-won lessons from past speculative gambling means I’m too old to understand how speculative gambling in crypto is not speculative gambling.

Last edited:
^^^^ The asset Bitcoin is fixed, but the asset class “cryptocurrency” is anything but, and vast liquidity is being absorbed across some 6,000+ different cryptocurrencies. There must come a consolidation someday but, for now, everything is “to the moon,” just as when anything “.com” once had stupid amounts of cash thrown at it, regardless of viability or utility. I know, I know. Citing hard-won lessons from past speculative gambling means I’m too old to understand how speculative gambling in crypto is not speculative gambling. The people who made fortunes on railroads were those who bought the stocks for pennies on the dollar after the original investors cratered. Oops, there I go again citing history.

It's like many things we've seen before - some people will make mind boggling sums of money and many others will be left holding the bag. I've just embraced my decrepitude, and I wish all the coiners nothing but happiness in their brave new world.

Indeed, why would an economy ever expand in the face of inevitable deflation?

I'm clearly more of a truth-learner here than a truth-sayer, but I do have a theory on this:

Bitcoin's current market cap today is $1.15 Trillion. The entire cryptocurrency market cap is $2.83 Trillion.

Other crypto currencies are being created, rising up in value, etc. That's where the inflation is. Every exchange has a Bitcoin-Ethereum swap market. One metric is "what percentage of Bitcoin should Ethereum be?" with 10% currently the most popular belief. And then other coins are unofficially pegged to Ethereum.

Right now, Bitcoin has a 40.6% market dominance ($1.15 / $2.83). That ratio is expected to go down.

So inflation in crypto will be handled by "alt" coins rising, some of which ARE inflationary by design (such as Ethereum, current burn rates notwithstanding), and an ever-growing ecosystem for which we have still not yet figured out sustainable governance.

I'm clearly more of a truth-learner here than a truth-sayer, but I do have a theory on this:

Bitcoin's current market cap today is $1.15 Trillion. The entire cryptocurrency market cap is $2.83 Trillion.

Other crypto currencies are being created, rising up in value, etc. That's where the inflation is. Every exchange has a Bitcoin-Ethereum swap market. One metric is "what percentage of Bitcoin should Ethereum be?" with 10% currently the most popular belief. And then other coins are unofficially pegged to Ethereum.

Right now, Bitcoin has a 40.6% market dominance ($1.15 / $2.83). That ratio is expected to go down.

So inflation in crypto will be handled by "alt" coins rising, some of which ARE inflationary by design (such as Ethereum, current burn rates notwithstanding), and an ever-growing ecosystem for which we have still not yet figured out sustainable governance.

The crypto market lost some of that inflation handling criteria last Monday when "Squid coin" went to $0.00000 as the creators ran off with the $$$$.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/game...-collapses-as-price-crashes-from-2-8k-to-zero

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/business/squid-coin-crypto-scam.html

Then Squid went on a roller-coaster ride. In a 10-minute span later on Monday, the token’s value grew from $628.33 to $2,856.65, according to CoinMarketCap, a crypto data tracking website. Then, five minutes later, it traded at $0.0007.

More than 40,000 people still held the token after the crash, according to BscScan, a blockchain search engine and analytics platform. One of them was John Lee, 30, of Manila. He said he had spent $1,000 on the Squid tokens, thinking “somewhat instinctively” that the token had been authorized by the Netflix show.

Last edited:
The other topic I feel worth mentioning now is cryptocurrency use cases.

To be fair, this is the beginning.

From a technologist's perspective, Bitcoin is the most exciting thing to happen in tech since the coming of Internet in the 1990s.

At the time, people were saying "so you have a website, that takes 15 seconds to load... how will that change things?" and indeed use cases were slow to rise up - the only real viable uses were selling things (ebaY and Amazon), email (which at one time cost up to $5 per message to send), or information portals (Yahoo).

Today, there are two real use cases in crypto:
- Decentralized Finance - trading one currency for another
- Gaming

And a case can be made for DeFi being only speculation. But, as more countries and companies decide to accept Crypto as payment.. these DeFi protocols will become more relevant.

Consider Chainlink, an "Oracle" which brokers payments between parties. This company / entity could become VERY relevant as crypto becomes adopted on a more mass scale.

And Gaming, well...the League of Legends world championships had over 200 Million LIVE viewers in 2019. That is a significant percentage of the world population. Children in South Korea are setting up their own grandfathers on Axie Infinity, so grandpa can play games and earn money while at it.

In the future, I do think NFTs as ownership deeds will increase, although it hasn't quite caught fire yet.

And then I think corporate use cases are probably 5-10 years down the line. I always thought Supply Chain was a prime target for disruption via blockchain. But there isn't enough interest in that (according to my networking) to invest real dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom