The GOOD LED Light Bulb thread

Another LED question. A light fixture has a 60W incandescent bulb limit. Can one could use a LED with a higher equivalent light output, say 100W, if it fits?

Another LED question. A light fixture has a 60W incandescent bulb limit. Can one could use a LED with a higher equivalent light output, say 100W, if it fits?

Yes. The 60W incandecent limit was related to energy draw and heat issues. So you can put something in that pulls less energy and generates less heat with no problems.

I never thought I would do this since I already hoarded up a few packages of the regular bulbs, but I was in Home Depot today and saw 4 packs of the 14 watt energy lights (60 watt regular bulb output) regularly 6.99 on sale for $1.99. The sale sign said price reduction made possible by Ameren (local utility). Well I darn well knew what that meant. I was the one supplying the discount, so I decided I better get them while they were cheap. The savings on energy cost is fairly impressive. But I still need the hoarded bulbs, as they have to go in my dimmer lights as these things do not work worth a crap in those fixtures.

LED or CFL?[/QUOTE

It is CFL. After looking at the container I find it amusing that the package has a green Eco friendly insignia on it, then has a warning that it contains mercury and needs to be disposed of in a proper manner. I assume the LED's are adaptable to the dimmer switch?

Yes, you need a digital dimmer, which goes for $30 and up.

They're electronic and will work with CFL as well.

If you go to lamprecycle.org, they'll tell you where they take old CFL bulbs.

$1.99 would have been a stupendous price for LED bulbs.

As noted earlier in the thread, CFL have warm up periods, especially in colder temperatures, before they hit their rated brightness levels. It's a coupe of minutes.

Yes, you need a digital dimmer, which goes for $30 and up.

They're electronic and will work with CFL as well. ...

Careful. The CFL itself must be dim-able:

CFL Facts and Myths
Do CFLs work on dimmers?

Most screw-base CFLs do not work with dimmers designed for use with incandescent lamps. These CFLs will have a label on the lamp and/or the packaging stating "not for use with dimmers. However, certain special screw-base CFLs are designed to work with standard incandescent lamp dimmers. These CFLs will be labeled "dimmable" or similar language on the lamp and/or the packaging. However, due to small differences between different brands of dimmers, not all dimmable CFLs work with all types of incandescent dimmers. Some dimmable CFLs, however, will work with all major brands of incandescent lamp dimmers.

-ERD50

Careful. The CFL itself must be dim-able: CFL Facts and Myths -ERD50

You inspired me to look at the box, ERD. Didn't see anything....wait let me put on the high magnification readers on....there it is in the very fine print in the corner..."not dim able". But they sure got warning "mercury" plastered all over the box. Oh well, no big deal, I have a 5 year supply of those other bulbs for those, and maybe I can still save the $50 a year they promise per bulb, but I will settle for $10.

Back
Top Bottom