The Great Maine Outdoors

Realizm

Confused about dryer sheets
Welcome to the Great Outdoors of Maine, my name is James. I'm new to FIRE, and have just started browsing after listening to Youtubers like Dave Ramsey. It was a good starting point, but I'm just starting my journey.

Married
Wife's Age: 22

No kids, two cats.

I'm a Software Product Manager here in Maine, and my wife is starting as an Art Teacher in the next few weeks. She's been working as a Sub since graduating in December. I work full time and am finishing up my last semester of college. My father is a workaholic and so am I, so I plan to pickup a second job/gig when I graduate or the boredom of couch life will kill me. Been working since I was 7 running my own lobster boat, so working is pretty engrained.

Debt:
$28,000 in student loans

We were fortunate that I was born Native American, so my tuition was free. There are other benefits such as a 184HUD loan towards a home at less than market rates with just 2.25% down payment with it being federally backed there is no need for mortgage insurance. Our plan for the student loans are to wait out the next few months to see if any government stimulus helps us out. Before the interest rate and payment freeze ends, we will pay it off in full. Slowly saving up our cash reserves for this purpose with our goal to always have $10,000+ in cash at all times. Once the loans are paid, we want to get back up to around $25,000 in cash.

Currently our household income is $75,000/year before taxes, once my wife starts work we expect to be $90,000-$100,000/year before taxes.

My 401k: $3000
Joint Brokerage: $19,500
Cash: $25,500

My company offers an FSA that for the first year I maxed out at like $2500 or near that. I used about half of that this year due to a medication screw up and my insurance not paying for 5 months. I'm thinking of ditching this for an HSA as I've seen that you can put about $3000/year in, it'll rollover unlike the FSA, and when I retire it is free for any expense. I've done a little research, but not enough to make the switch. I also don't know how much if at all my employer matches for the FSA...

My wife and I would love to hit a goal of financial freedom by 2035. What do we mean? Well I'm a workaholic so I would probably continue to work, but I'll swap to contract work for companies that I enjoy working for. It'll be quite the hit to our income, especially with downtime in-between contracts. My wife is planning to pursue her Artistic passions full-time. She currently sells paintings for about $5000/year, and would love to turn this into her full-time career with our investments offsetting the need for a greater income.

My mentor who is a Sr. Software Product Manager at my company has about a $2.5m net worth and has told me that his numbers come out to be about $150,000/year in expenses that he could afford on just his investments. 2.5 is a bit high for a 2035 goal, but I could see us hit that by 2040-2045 depending on salary increases.

Our main concerns and focuses are getting on a written budget as we've just been living "frugally" rather than setting goals. Our bank account goes up by about $1000/month on average, but we know we can do better with focus and intentionality. We ensure we are investing a minimum of $500/month into our joint brokerage account, and I max out my companies match with 6% towards my 401k.

BIG QUESTIONS:
The reason I signed up was to gain knowledge.

Should we be focused on just the tax advantaged accounts to max these out knowing that our goal is to retire much earlier than the preferred withdrawal dates?

How can we cut costs (heard of meal planning, credit card rewards?, laundry at the parents? lol). We haven't been budget friendly... YET! We are working on getting on a budget and then researching ways to cut costs. Any starter advice is MUCH appreciated!

Should we be focused on just the tax advantaged accounts to max these out knowing that our goal is to retire much earlier than the preferred withdrawal dates?

There are lots of books on budgeting. I am going to focus on the above question. Since you want to RE, you will also need to have some savings outside of retirement accounts if you want to fully retire before 55. You will need to figure out what your timing and income needs are.

Welcome, and congrats on starting with an early focus. I'll add my .02 cents with just one Acronym: LBYM

Plain and simple, that is it.

Welcome! Plenty of resources here for the financial questions. I'll leave those to the experts. Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Mainer. Me? RE'd but far from FI. Making it work now for going on five years.

Welcome James
We have been watching Maine Cabin Masters for a while. Sure is beautiful country.

Been working since I was 7 running my own lobster boat...

How can we cut costs (heard of meal planning, credit card rewards?, laundry at the parents? lol).
Wow, running a lobster boat at age 7! I could barely paddle a canoe at that age!

In general, yes, I'd focus on tax-advantaged accounts first, (along with paying off the student loans) especially as your wife starts working and your income creeps up. Once you fill those up, then go for the ROTH 401(k) or ROTH IRA. You'll need to determine your desired budget for ER, when you want to ER, and how many years you'll need to fund with post-tax accounts, so you don't encounter 10% penalties for withdrawing from tax-deferred accounts early. If you retire in the year you turn 55 to 59.5, you can take out 401(k) distributions penalty, but not tax-free.

Come up with a realistic budget. Try not to spend any of your wife's additional income, and save it instead. Don't forget to live a little along the way, but avoid debt except for your primary home, and LBYM! Good luck!

Welcome aboard!

Absolutely, you can strive for FI, without the RE part. Good place to be.

DrRoy is correct that you need to consider the availability of funds earmarked for retirement. Here is a link that may provide perspective on one such route: https://www.madfientist.com/how-to-access-retirement-funds-early/

Thank you, this was a great read and very insightful! I really appreciate the link! This has changed a lot of my perspective on taxed vs tax-advantaged accounts. Looks like our Brokerage account is going to be put on hiatus in exchange for a Traditional Roth.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Realizm, welcome to the Forum. I am sure you can learn a lot here but if you want help in cutting expenses and budgeting I suggest you go to the Mr Money Mustache Forum and also the Mr Money Mustache blog.

No. But make sure you get any matching funds. You'll need a big chunk in a regular brokerage to fund you from age 39 to 59.5 (or some non-standard retirement account like for a public safety officer, or non-profit).

How can we cut costs (heard of meal planning, credit card rewards?, laundry at the parents? lol). We haven't been budget friendly... YET! We are working on getting on a budget and then researching ways to cut costs. Any starter advice is MUCH appreciated!

I don't have any specific cost cutting insights that you wouldn't find anyplace else, but some general advice is here
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f30/what-to-do-in-order-to-retire-hopefully-early-99570.html

You definitely want to take the HSA over the FSA, which puts you at risk of forfeiting unused money at the end of each year. Fortunately, recent Covid-19 relief legislation will let you roll over unused funds from 2020 for use in 2021. https://www.consumerreports.org/health-insurance/covid-19-relief-law-makes-fsas-even-more-flexible/

Still, that's only a temporary change for now. The HSA is much more flexible -- in fact, many forum members use it as a mini-IRA, investing the account in equities or bonds.

Back
Top Bottom