The great napping poll

What is your napping practice and your views on napping?

• I never nap. Napping is unproductive and dissolute. Very bad.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I very occasionally nap but feel guilty. Only short naps so my SO doesn't find out.

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • More days than not I DO NOT nap. But I enjoy it when I do, with a twinge of guilt.

Votes: 40 23.3%
  • More days than not I DO nap. And I enjoy it with no guilt whatsoever. I don't give a flying rat's

Votes: 50 29.1%
  • I nap every day and absolutely love it. But no more that an 45 minutes.

Votes: 17 9.9%
  • I nap every day and wonder how anyone could NOT nap. Usually more that 45 minutes a day.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • I never nap. I just don't feel the need. But if I did I wouldn't feel guilty.

Votes: 38 22.1%

• Total voters
Maybe once or twice a week, for about 20-40 minutes, and it often happens at the same time on those days. I don't like it when the urge to nap happens before a workout, cause I have to dig deep to bring the energy back up and go in. I try to avoid any long naps because I don't want to throw off my regular sleep patterns. Used to feel some guilt, but that's gone away. I find them rather enjoyable now.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, what was the question? I fell asleep while reading it.

No SO, no guilt, nap sometimes.

Had periods last year where I went sleepy every day, some periods where I never went sleepy.

At one point I got worried about my health though. At 36 I don't think you are supposed to feel sleepy by day often. But then it passed, so I guess it was a phase or something.

It is a rare day when I don't take a nap. Early to mid-afternoon. No matter what, I can't force myself to sleep beyond 30 minutes. I often open my eyes exactly 30 minutes after closing them-sleep starts within minutes. I awake feeling completely refreshed and ready to go. Sometimes when I'm feeling stressed, eyes will pop open after only 15-20, that's not good.

I have napped for as long as I can remember, through college, graduate school, even work. When I was younger, I used to think of it as cramming two days into one, and I often did! Now that I'm older, it is more of a break in the same day.

I don't feel guilty for napping. It's usually because my sleep was interrupted the night before and I need to catch up on some missed sleep. I don't usually sleep more than 6 hours overnight.

I don't feel guilty for laying around reading or web surfing either!

When I was wor*ing, invariably there would be a meeting right after lunch. Some expert (fool) would bore us with mostly insignificant stuff. It was tough to stay awake. These days, lunch is a signal that a nap is necessary. I rarely resist.
BTW: I never napped during my 42 year wor*ing life. No guilt whatsoever.

Napping anytime I feel like it is one of the great benefits of retirement! It is an unusual day when I don't take at least a 30 minute nap, often there are two, one after breakfast (for some reason eating makes me sleepy) and after lunch. Naps can last anywhere from a half hour to an hour and a half, but that's unusual.

Oh, and I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt over it.

My formula for a day or two a week: lunch, then sit down in the right place with a cup of tea and the book I'm reading. If it happens, occasionally I'll read with my eyes shut for a while, hehe! But the tea controls nap duration (diuretic), and it helps me wake up energized.

I used to nap, but I think it was from a post lunch blood sugar crash. I changed my eating habits ~3 years ago and no longer feel the need. However, if caught up in the moment, a nap would be very acceptable.

For the nappers, enjoy the snooze!

Occasionally catch myself having a quick (under 30 minute) nap, usually not intentional but sometimes I know it will happen when I get into the easy chair without my tablet or a book. Probably 3-4 times a week.

Best reason to retire

If I can't nap every day in retirement, I don't think I will bother retiring.

The most wonderful experiences in my life were when my children were small enough to take midday naps. On weekends after lunch, I would lead by example. We'd lie down on the big bed and read a story, and by about page 15 of The Cat in the Hat I'd feel a kid's head slump onto my shoulder. I'd lay the book down and close my eyes... An hour later I'd wake up and that head would still be there. I don't know how to describe how glorious it felt other than "spiritual fulfillment". It was the best part of being a Dad.

All my children are grown now, but the association of naps and total contentment has remained. Guilt, schmilt. It's as close as I get to heaven on earth. :angel:

I don't feel the need to nap (yet), I'm one of those who can't nap without feeling groggy and disoriented for a while after.

But I do like to be on the couch with a latte, my cat, and my tablet for a good read around 4pm most days.

My formula for a day or two a week: lunch, then sit down in the right place with a cup of tea and the book I'm reading. If it happens, occasionally I'll read with my eyes shut for a while, hehe! But the tea controls nap duration (diuretic), and it helps me wake up energized.

The tea thing is very funny! I guess it's a variant of the venerable "water clock" of the ancients ... :LOL:

I do have to be careful not to sleep more than an hour. Doing so tends to disrupt my usual night's sleep. YMMV

I voted never. I hate to nap and perhaps only do it a couple times a year when I am ill, jet lagged, or didn't sleep the previous night. It makes me groggy and miserable, certainly not refreshed. I envy those who can catch a quick cat nap and get reinvigorated. On the other hand, I typically sleep a full 9 hours at night, and rarely have insomnia.

Is feeling sleepy after a meal an indication of a health problem? I always wonder.

My husband and I just got in a bit of a tiff over this poll. He is a regular napper...He is highly skilled at falling asleep for short periods of time throughout the day. Our argument centered on what constitutes a nap. He takes an 'in bed' nap about twice a week... and that's what he considers a nap. I laughed because he falls asleep in his recliner or on the couch 1-2 times a day EVERY day. Even when he worked he'd "put up his feet and close his eyes" for 20 minutes after lunch. He was a legend in his office... could get to sleep quickly and would wake up right at the end of lunch.

I'm a crappy napper. Takes me too long to fall asleep, then I feel groggy when I wake up... so I don't bother. I stick to my early to bed, early to rise schedule because that works for me.

No guilt about napping. I don't impose guilt on DH. Napping and guilt don't go together.

My husband and I just got in a bit of a tiff over this poll. He is a regular napper...He is highly skilled at falling asleep for short periods of time throughout the day. Our argument centered on what constitutes a nap. He takes an 'in bed' nap about twice a week... and that's what he considers a nap. I laughed because he falls asleep in his recliner or on the couch 1-2 times a day EVERY day. Even when he worked he'd "put up his feet and close his eyes" for 20 minutes after lunch. He was a legend in his office... could get to sleep quickly and would wake up right at the end of lunch.

I'm a crappy napper. Takes me too long to fall asleep, then I feel groggy when I wake up... so I don't bother. I stick to my early to bed, early to rise schedule because that works for me.

No guilt about napping. I don't impose guilt on DH. Napping and guilt don't go together.

I've done this since my early 20s. First job after graduation, I remember napping after lunch often.

I have that problem too. Especially after something warm like a hot soup or hot cafe au lait with chocolate.

Had it since at least university. Blood goes to digestion, me feel sleepy. Only solution: light meal. Or nap.

I never nap. I have nothing against it but napping feels unnatural to me. Even as a kid, I did not like it. I usually feel groggy afterwards and not at all refreshed like most people do.

If I take a "power nap" of 15-20 minutes I'm okay. If I doze for an hour or more the groggy sets in...

Back
Top Bottom