The Kitchen Sink...

Ok. That is very save-able. The sink basket was over-tightened on installation. Replace basket, maybe put some rust kill on , maybe use a nice skim coat of plumbers GOOP to fill any unevenness, install new basket and garbage disposal. Don't over-tighten. Consider replacing faucet while the garbage disposal is out of the way.

I've repaired old steel sinks with way worse problems and the repairs are multiple years old.

Agree - this looks very salvageable with fairly limited effort.

I have not removed a sink with tile, but:

Be careful choosing a new sink. DW bought a new sink as part of our remodel and the drain line coming out of the sink was barely above the height of the drain line going into the wall.

So don't buy a sink that is too deep for your house plumbing. Not a problem if your drain line goes into the floor.

I have not removed a sink with tile, but:

Be careful choosing a new sink. DW bought a new sink as part of our remodel and the drain line coming out of the sink was barely above the height of the drain line going into the wall.

So don't buy a sink that is too deep for your house plumbing. Not a problem if your drain line goes into the floor.

Good point. Keep thinking that a deeper sink is better and have run into problems where the tailpiece from the basket has to be so short the compression nut for the outlet waste line barely fits. Measure existing sink depth and look at existing tailpiece length before choosing a new sink.

Good point. Keep thinking that a deeper sink is better and have run into problems where the tailpiece from the basket has to be so short the compression nut for the outlet waste line barely fits. Measure existing sink depth and look at existing tailpiece length before choosing a new sink.

Definitely! I did not, but I got lucky.

I have a dishwasher that connects to a tee in the tailpiece so I couldn't use a shorter tailpiece. And I couldn't connect the dishwasher drain anywhere else because it needs to be connected above the trap.

So yes - make sure a deeper sink will work with your plumbing before buying.

Back
Top Bottom