The power of Social media

I think by far the biggest threat is from the media. They've long since given up an pretense of objectivity.

To perpetrate a lie, the first thing they have to do is to convince you that all the other sources of information are lies, and they are the only ones telling the truth. I know people who firmly (and aggressively) believe this about their one favored "news" source.

You can still find the truth. There are plenty of legitimate journalists still out there. And plenty of biases.

One option is to read articles from sources on both sides, knowing their bias. Hear both sides of the argument, and learn the details that each side conveniently left out.

The other is to seek multiple, less biased sources. They do exist, and there are "media bias" charts available to help.

Any lies WILL be challenged by the opposing side, as well as by those without an axe to grind.

But if you only seek sources which agree with you, it's very easy to be fooled. And manipulated.

I agree, that propaganda from Russians is “interference”, and from Americans it’s “free speech”. Apparently there’s no requirement to be truthful... But, having said that, “the media” is pretty diverse, though I suspect going down that road would invoke bacon. So I ‘ll quote a bit from the Senate report:

Sorry about the missing spaces. Would not let me fix... Source document here...

https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Report_Volume1.pdf

I compare the propaganda from Russians, using social media to flood social media with false and misleading information similar to the fake reviews on Amazon. Or the many knock of Chinese products sold. There is so much counterfeit that it takes a lot of effort to sort out which is genuine and which is not. Many don't want to take the effort. Big lies, if told loud and long enough tend to stick in peoples minds.

Neil deGrasse Tyson said that there are 3 truths:

"Objective truths are established by evidence. Personal truths by faith. Political truths by incessant repetition."

I choose evidence.

Every so often I have a strong opinion about what I see on the news. I feel like I need to get my opinion out there. My opinion makes so much sense and they are not even talking about this angle. I want to blast my opinion.

Social media helps, but I quit FB years ago. For me, it's unhealthy and confusing. Even seeing all the cool vacations DF and relatives are taking. The numerous pics and jokes etc. Smiles, cute poses, beautiful background scenery don't pass the smell test. Don't try to make me envious of what you're doing. A picture takes a second and doesn't give the full picture of what's happening. Plus, the gossip "did you hear...so and so got divorced" I do think FB is valuable for non profit advertising, small business ads, local events and information. Beyond that I'm just not interested.

And I just clicked through the list of must-have wardrobe items for Fall and I'm headed to the mall.:D

Well, you must join us for my first dinner of Osso Buko. Just be careful you don't show up the glitterati to much. Those poor sweet things have such sensitive egos.

Last edited:
I just outscored 99% of the population on a multiple-guess quiz!

You should celebrate with a new electronic gadget. After all, you deserve it!

"Objective truths are established by evidence. Personal truths by faith. Political truths by incessant repetition."

I choose evidence.

Thanks. I really like this quote about the 3 truths. Haven't thought much about the incessant repetition truth.

Seems that a lot of people only consider one or two of the truths but not how they all come into play.

Reminds me of a philosophy class I once had in college. The class was on the philosophy of religion. Mainly, asking the rationality of the existing of a God.

During class discussion, right there, was resistance to other viewpoints as the truths of evidence and faith clashed. Some students said, I grew up a certain way and no one had a right to question anything otherwise.

He's a pretty good communicator, and an overall smart guy.

...During class discussion, right there, was resistance to other viewpoints as the truths of evidence and faith clashed. Some students said, I grew up a certain way and no one had a right to question anything otherwise.

That's a sure sign someone is losing the argument. There are many, many things in this world that you have a "right" to do. That doesn't mean they'd be SMART to do!

<snip>"Political truths by incessant repetition."

I see so much of this. Present facts that might contradict their point of view and they continue to bleat back what they just told you. I've disconnected from a few people on FB because of this and they were on opposite sides of the political spectrum. I actually agreed with each of them on some issues. What they had in common was an inability to consider anything that might threaten their beliefs.

What I found useful as a lawyer was to put myself into the position of being able to make the other side's argument for them. That allowed me to test my own argument and to counter them as necessary. No lawyer who wants to be successful can afford to ignore contrary arguments and/or facts. I see no reason why this principle should not also hold true in a non-professional capacity.

What I found useful as a lawyer was to put myself into the position of being able to make the other side's argument for them.

I'm dating a very nice retired criminal defense lawyer who had a friend, also a lawyer, who died a year ago. They were on opposite sides politically but what my friend admired about the man was his ability to argue either side of an issue equally well. It definitely forces you to look at the factors supporting the opposition's beliefs.

Zuckerberg said today that they have already caught Russia, China and Iran trying to use Facebook to affect the 2020 election.

Zuckerberg said today that they have already caught Russia, China and Iran trying to use Facebook to affect the 2020 election.
Mueller clearly warned that interference has never stopped.

I’ve yet to see Facebook post anything other than ads...

They have a habit of deleting or censoring pages that don't go against their guidelines but have a different political viewpoint. An internet search will show several well known examples of completely innocent pages suddenly disappearing just before an election.

Mueller clearly warned that interference has never stopped.

Too bad hardly anyone read his report. There is a lot of information in it. Just reading the executive summary is eye opening.

This forum is the only social media site that I follow or post comments. Exited FB and all similar ilk several years ago. I don't need to connect, like, or follow. Nor do I have any compulsion to friend/unfriend.

Once again, hats off to the mods here. :flowers:
I didn't know internet sites qualified as social media. If so, guess I'm on sm.

The power of social media. First seed gets planted. Next, everyone wants an Instant Pot pressure cooker, whether needed or not.

The power of social media. First seed gets planted. Next, everyone wants an Instant Pot pressure cooker, whether needed or not.

We have one to get rid of. It seems to burn whatever we put in it. :facepalm:

Maybe DW can get rid of it on FB Marketplace. :LOL:

After seeing the power of social media, and their ability to print articles, or ignore articles, they have become too powerful. Google can manipulate searches, Twitter and FB can ban people based on their content, etc.

There were once laws about a single company owning too many newspapers or radio and TV stations.

I see the first amendment becoming less and less of a need, and the original intent no longer relevant. If anything, the current social media is a huge issue.

If it were up to me, I would repeal the first amendment. It makes things worse.

If it were up to me, I would repeal the first amendment. It makes things worse.

I'm sure you'll be thrilled when the government then tells you that you must go to church, and they tell you which one and then use your tax dollars to support it. Or maybe they say no one can go to church and arrest you when you do.

I'm sure you will be equally thrilled when you are forbidden from complaining about or to the government. Or when you are not allowed to gather together in groups of more than two unrelated people.

And I'll bet you'll be over the moon when they tell you what books and magazines you are and are not allowed to read.

Back
Top Bottom