The Upcoming Solar Eclipse

If I set up a regular video shooting camera, not still pics, video, will that capture the action? Will it burn out the camera somehow? Or will the image just not get captured?

And no, I will not be looking at any of the solar goings-on directly during that time. Just the surrounding landscape

If I set up a regular video shooting camera, not still pics, video, will that capture the action? Will it burn out the camera somehow? Or will the image just not get captured?

And no, I will not be looking at any of the solar goings-on directly during that time. Just the surrounding landscape

I think it will fry the camera. They use special lenses to do that type of photography.

As for looking at it, you can do it with special lens/glasses. I'm not sure if I'll get special glasses, but I have some lenses that go to a welding mask. They should be fine. Of course I'll verify before I do anything. Bottom line, I'm gong to get a look at it - safely.

I think it will fry the camera. They use special lenses to do that type of photography.

I would think that in the case of olde fashioned photography but a digital camera that just prints files on a chip? Not arguing about it because it's not my technical bailiwick but the "frying the camera" principle doesn't seem like it would apply.

As for looking at it, you can do it with special lens/glasses. I'm not sure if I'll get special glasses, but I have some lenses that go to a welding mask. They should be fine. Of course I'll verify before I do anything. Bottom line, I'm gong to get a look at it - safely.

I'll reiterate this just in case I can spook someone else:

I'm afraid if I buy a pair I get the one in 10 million that slipped by quality control.

Sounds cool! Everybody on the east coast, we should all meet up at Sarah's house in SC. She's right on the path for best viewing. August 21.

Hmmm...maybe somebody should let her know.

She already knows. Or, well, said something to me about watching it from her dock. I was lobbying to charter a yacht... but the captain I know down there didn't seem to jump on the idea.

I would think that in the case of olde fashioned photography but a digital camera that just prints files on a chip? Not arguing about it because it's not my technical bailiwick but the "frying the camera" principle doesn't seem like it would apply.

You still have a lens concentrating the sun's energy onto the image sensor and I think it would reek havoc.

Not authoritative, but seems to confirm that without a proper filter damage will occur:

How to Photograph a Solar Eclipse from Nikon

A small inexpensive refractor telescope can do a safe projection of the sun onto a white surface. The projection can be larger for easy viewing by a group. No special glasses needed.

Steve has determined that the best place, in terms of potential cloud cover, is Madras, OR.

According to the Chamber of Commerce Bend gets 300 days of sunshine/yr. And with all the snow over the winter we used up all our cloudy days early this year. So August will be Good to Go :D:cool:

A small inexpensive refractor telescope can do a safe projection of the sun onto a white surface. The projection can be larger for easy viewing by a group. No special glasses needed.
I think you need a filter for doing that because otherwise, if you want to watch it from the beginning, you'll melt your telescope.

Story in the local paper. 30,000 expected. bands, booths, herbalists (code word for marijuana)

woodstock for rednecks

30,000 people expected for solar eclipse party; Event planned for Big Summit Prairie

We’re providing an immersive environment for like-minded people to come and engage with each other,” he said. “We’re building a community where people can bring their own gifts and experiences and share them.”

For anyone who isn’t sure whether KoChen is describing a university career fair or a gathering where thousands of people and families, many of them naked, come to party, learn about herbalism, ritual performance, and yoga, and dance to more than 400 live bands and DJs, he added clarification.

“It’s a place for people to be themselves,” he said. “They can get weird.”

I'm not going anywhere to watch the solar eclipse. I know that there will be plenty of imagery and video of it available for FREE online, taken in places where there isn't any cloud cover.

I have quite an imagination to enhance the experience, so watching the video will suffice in my case.

I'm not going anywhere to watch the solar eclipse. I know that there will be plenty of imagery and video of it available for FREE online, taken in places where there isn't any cloud cover.

I have quite an imagination to enhance the experience, so watching the video will suffice in my case.

I am in the 90% zone where I live. I was going to call it even because I have been through 2 other , probably 70% or so, eclipses in my life and it was definitely noticeable and very spooky. But Since I need to drive barely an hour to 90 mins away to see 100% I plan on taking a drive.

I do not plan on going to a town with sponsored festivities. People will only ruin it. Simply driving somewhere south of I-80 and pulling over recording the experience is what I am planning on

She already knows. Or, well, said something to me about watching it from her dock. I was lobbying to charter a yacht... but the captain I know down there didn't seem to jump on the idea.

I should have known she wouldn't miss that great of an excuse for a party.

Path of totality will be about 300 yards north of our house here in the SC upstate. I think we will be on a pontoon boat in the middle of lake Keowee for the event. Please call before visiting.

Anyone have a long term weather report?

I have reserved a hotel in Greenville with a rooftop pool for the occasion. I have heard that Lake Jocassee is very nice, so I might try to visit it.

Wow, that brings back childhood memories! Haven't seen that name in many years (been a while since I drove 70 west out of STL)

I graduated from a HS about 20 miles from Montgomery City. I still see the I70 exit sign frequently when heading back to the area.

I haven't checked, but I hear-tell hotels/motels are already booked solid.
I looked some months ago and every place I called was already fully booked. I'm planning to stay well out of totality and drive in for the day, which might give me a little flexibility in case of cloud cover.

T-Al, thanks. With the addition of the weather data, I've moved my targeted spot a few hundred miles. I'll have to drive further, but I think I'll improve my chances of having a clear view.

I graduated from a HS about 20 miles from Montgomery City. I still see the I70 exit sign frequently when heading back to the area.

It is a great area. Our friends inherited a farm 40+ years ago, south of Mineola. Big parties every Memorial day and labor day.

I hope the weather is good for the eclipse, cause we will be there!

I live southwest of stl now and we are supposed to be right in the teeth of the peak summer eclipse. Wont have to do anything but step outside. Supposed to last over 2 minutes here.

I lived in Mineola and went to grade school in New Florence, MO. How odd that 3 forum members know about such a sparsely populated area literally in the middle of nowhere.

I lived in Mineola and went to grade school in New Florence, MO. How odd that 3 forum members know about such a sparsely populated area literally in the middle of nowhere.

New Florence huh? I guess that makes Auxvasse a major metropolitan area compared Mineola/New Florence. [emoji3]

Back
Top Bottom