Thinking about when to RE

I also have a very firm intention of seeing if I could go to a 3 day work week with 6 months to go. It would give me time to build up activities for RE.

I've actually been doing that myself for the last year and a half. Only reason I'm staying for now is that I enjoy it (sort of like a well paid hobby) plus my spouse is also still working part time for the same reason. Probably quit for good within a year or two, though.

P

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

2nd update. I gave 8 months notice today. It gives them time to figure out how to cover my workload before the next budget cycle starts. I was thanked for the time. My expertise is unusual and it is really hard to find experience in it, so a new person may need to be trained. Also, I have some people that I work with closely that are friends and I would not want my departure to make their job harder. I told a few close people my news. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for it to get out on the grapevine.

Nice...congratulations on pulling the plug. I'm struggling with one more year syndrome at the moment.

Congrats

IMO once you have $n+1 where n is the amount you need to retire comfortably there is no need to work any more. That said with children you might want to leave them a bigger nest egg. I have a friend who is an exec at a company and he has WAY more money than he will likely need. But he likes what he does and they keep throwing stupid amounts of money and stock at him so it's hard for him to walk away. It is easy for me to say that I wouldn't take it but then again no one has ever offered me a million dollars to work 1 year :p

Congrats, DrRoy! Glad that the stress of wondering how everyone would react is over. Now you can start crossing days off the calendar!

I've been counting the months since April. One thing my manager asked is would I continue running the training classes that I do. I said I'll think about it.

I've been counting the months since April. One thing my manager asked is would I continue running the training classes that I do. I said I'll think about it.
Congrats glad thing went so well, as you must know they dont always, could have been perp walked out of building.

Well, it's getting right down to the wire. This YTD has been rougher than most years, as I have had less control than usual over my travel schedule. The first 5 days of January, I logged working 72 hours out of state as part of a launch team for a new customer. Over the last 2 months, I have been part of a daily coverage team at a different, troublesome new customer. I didn't know it last summer, but I picked a great time to exit. There will be no part timing as I was considering earlier, not even the training class. That last one was their choice but that's fine.

Today was my last account turnover visit. I have been feeling the weight lifting off my shoulders all day. It is taking pieces of 4 different people to replace me adding up to about 1.5 heads. Tomorrow I will drive to have lunch with a couple customer friends, take them to a concert in the evening, and return home Thursday (all on Megacorp, of course). That will effectively be the end. There will then be some days of accrued vacation, and I will go into the office one more time to turn in the laptop and CC. RE, here I come!!

Well, it's getting right down to the wire. This YTD has been rougher than most years, as I have had less control than usual over my travel schedule. The first 5 days of January, I logged working 72 hours out of state as part of a launch team for a new customer. Over the last 2 months, I have been part of a daily coverage team at a different, troublesome new customer. I didn't know it last summer, but I picked a great time to exit. There will be no part timing as I was considering earlier, not even the training class. That last one was their choice but that's fine.

Today was my last account turnover visit. I have been feeling the weight lifting off my shoulders all day. It is taking pieces of 4 different people to replace me adding up to about 1.5 heads. Tomorrow I will drive to have lunch with a couple customer friends, take them to a concert in the evening, and return home Thursday (all on Megacorp, of course). That will effectively be the end. There will then be some days of accrued vacation, and I will go into the office one more time to turn in the laptop and CC. RE, here I come!!

Sounds exciting! Keep enjoying the ride - almost there :dance:

Well, you did it any way I think you did it Lol

I remember my last day and it was one of the hardest things I every had to do. Same place for 35 years and walk away was tough. That was 11 month's ago and I haven't looked back and haven't been back there either.

I wish you the best and retirement will be what you make it to be.

How exciting to see your goals realized! Congrats

Back
Top Bottom