Thinking of attempting a 1/2 marathon

Why are you interested in running a half marathon if you get bored after 4 miles?
What end result do you hope to achieve?

just want to add to a bucket list if I decide to retire soon.

I have walked a half marathon but I was 20 years younger:)).

just want to add to a bucket list if I decide to retire soon.

I think you have received some good advice. I might have given up running if I did not run with friends nearly every time I ran. The concern people have expressed about your boredom during your run should be really considered.

In addition to any medical input you may want to get, I would also begin to look at shorter organized runs to join, which should fit into your training schedule, to see if that is something you want to be a part. I think they are a lot of fun but I am sure they are not for everybody. Having said that, you do not need an organize run to meet your objective.

At the same time, you might want to consider other physical challenges.
Bicycling from X to Y or for a desired distance is clearly an alternative. And there are many others.

Last edited:
Not a runner anymore, more of a gravel road endurance cyclist these days. Am 59, BMI of 30 and love challenging races and athletic events.

My 2 cents. Maybe want to start with a shorter distance event and work up to a 1/2 marathon? Will be good training and test of conditioning and gear.

I was an exercise runner runner for 40+ years, Generally ran for 30-45 minutes daily. Did quite a few 5K and 10K races for fun with no real hope of finishing with the really good runners. I started training for marathons several times but quit each time after several weeks when I decided I was unwilling/unable to devote the time to train properly (and I wasn’t going attempt something like that not properly trained!) I did - with proper preparation - run about a half dozen 10 milers over the years.

I’m 78 now and haven’t run for about 15 years. I just reached a point where I didn’t want to do it any more although I had no injuries or physical limitations on running. I still exercise regularly and fairly vigorously but I will never take up running again. Not a gym member at the moment but when I was I found spinning to be an excellent and more knee-friendly alternative to running.

Back
Top Bottom