This should be simple, A vanguard transfer

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm trying to move (transfer?) money from an IRA Money market account into VTI in the IRA account. The boxes, Exchange (sell to buy) Vanguard funds, Trade ETFs (and non Vanguard ETFs) or Trade stocks and listed securities, runs into some reason I can't do it.
How do I sell the IRA Money Market and put it into The same IRA with VTI shares. Been on hold with Vanguard for over an hour. I think the group may be faster.

trade ETFs should do it logically
Maybe so, but the screen is not like other trade, transfer screens. I finally got to talk to a Vanguard rep and he talked me through it.
I think it is a strange screen, doesn't ask 'where is the money coming from', 'where is the money going to', But, the rep said it is different because the money is coming from your brokerage account.
Anyway got it done.
Thanks

The way brokerage accounts work usually, what you're talking about is a regular Buy transaction. If you just say "Buy" or "Sell", those kinds of accounts assume that you want the money to come from or go to the settlement fund, which is typically a money market fund of some kind. It's essentially your cash balance inside your IRA, and it happens to pay 0.0001% interest or whatever.

VG wanted me to get a medallion signature guarantee to transfer a Free 10% withdrawl. I had sone several of them before without one. I finally tranfered my holdings to Fido that didnt require a medallion signature guarantee.

I just put in an IRA trade for an ETF. The "funds available to trade" pops up and if you click "details" it shows you the settlement fund. There's really only one place for the funds to come from in an IRA. In the old days you had to pick where the funds were coming from and there was a potential to make a mistake.

Vanguard has some new screens, and it's a PAIN to use them.

They should have a preference choice for the user, keep the old screens or switch to the new ones.

I don't like the newer look for holdings but I can see the old version by going to My Accounts- Balances and Holdings. The default view doesn't group ETFs, funds, and stocks instead alphabetizing and mixing them.

Back
Top Bottom