This time is different!!

This time seems different. Not to sound like an alarmist, but financial preparedness is one thing. Psychological impact from large scale quarantines or product shortages is another. Let's hope we get a break.

It’s different for me to own about 50% bonds and watching them do their job as ballast. Thanks bonds!

Hang on you lot, what is all the panicking about? in 2008 the low was 7449!!!!!! It is now 29,000!!!!! ~400% increase, the Dow can go to ~17k before you should even start to worry.... right?

Absolutely. And it may.... and that's ok. It won't be particularly comfortable. Not knowing where the bottom was and when we'd hit it was especially hard for me in '08. Buckle up!

While I am still working with 10 years until FIRE, it is extremely difficult to stay the course. I keep having to tell myself about all the low price shares I am buying during this downturn, and not to panic sell, and lose money.

While I am still working with 10 years until FIRE, it is extremely difficult to stay the course. I keep having to tell myself about all the low price shares I am buying during this downturn, and not to panic sell, and lose money.

For someone still working and investing, this downturn is a good thing. You’ll be buying more shares than before with the same amount of investment dollars.

The crash of 2008 was a good thing for my 401k. It allowed me to buy more shares at lower prices, maxing out contributions up until my retirement in 2014. The result was that I had significantly more shares that increased in value during the recent run up.

My attitude on it is basically "This time it's different, just like every other time!" Meaning, there are some similarities, there are some differences, but in the end, things will rebound and we will go on to new highs.

But yeah, it is hard to stay the course. If I'd have the foresight to sell everything off in October 2007, or even the summer of 2008, and then buy back in around November '08, or wait til the official bottom in March '09, that would have been great. But, it's just too hard to predict these things, and just how far they will, or won't, fall.

In 2008 I was at 82% equities and something around 1.2 beta, so it was like 100% and a really rough ride. Now I am 58% and even beta. That's a lot better.

I did do some Roth conversion that priced at the close yesterday.

Ding ding ding!!! We have the answer.

Yes, compounding has really helped! On the other side, the 4% SWR starts to fall apart over many centuries of withdraws. That's why I still w*rk (although I do get the summers off and a nice break between Fall/Spring terms).

In an email from our FA:

"While assessing the impact of the COVID-19 virus on earnings and economic growth is still very much a fluid exercise, we would continue to remind investors that historically similar events have tended to have little long-term impact. Two recent examples that come to mind include the Ebola concerns in 2014 and the SARS outbreak in the early 2000s. While near-term demand is likely to be displaced and company supply chains may be disrupted as a result of the virus, over the intermediate and long term the economic impact from these types of events has generally seen a delay in growth, not a derailment. Further, governments and central banks around the world have already noted the potential impacts the virus could have on the economy, and may move to enact stimulus that could help offset some of the virus’ related weakness. As a result, we would caution against overreacting to headlines from a portfolio standpoint, and near-term volatility may even create opportunity for long-term investors."

I remember in the '08 stock market crash thinking "This time is different". But I stayed the course , and was well rewarded. I saw those that pulled out, and missed a lot of the future gains.

Fast forward to today, and I find myself thinking again "This time is different". I am feel confident with my plan, but it is still hard to keep the thoughts of "This time is different" out of my head.

Does anybody else struggle with trying to keep the thoughts of "This time is different" out of their head?

It is different you are 12 years older...

I remember in the '08 stock market crash thinking "This time is different". But I stayed the course , and was well rewarded. I saw those that pulled out, and missed a lot of the future gains.

Fast forward to today, and I find myself thinking again "This time is different". I am feel confident with my plan, but it is still hard to keep the thoughts of "This time is different" out of my head.

Does anybody else struggle with trying to keep the thoughts of "This time is different" out of their head?

It's human nature.

Corrections happen. They always feel like this, regardless of the reason.

You really mean to say that the bonds are the only securities that are not tanking badly! :D

No, that’s not what I’m saying. I meant that at age 54 over the last 10 years we’ve ticked down toward FIRE from 100% stocks to 80/20 to 60/40 to 50/50. Before we got more balanced, swift stock downturns like this one were wilder to ride. This time the experience is different because our bonds are tugging the other way. To your point, I’d guess our home equity will tug the other way, too, since mortgage rates are trending down, and we have some cash. No doubt many other asset classes are acting as ballast to stocks, too. What are you experiencing?

This time seems different. Not to sound like an alarmist, but financial preparedness is one thing. Psychological impact from large scale quarantines or product shortages is another. Let's hope we get a break.

This time IS different. There's a likely end in sight, just based on the ebb and flow of viruses. There will be medical interventions that decrease the effect, and don't forget summer. Even the production disruptions will be temporary. So while the drop can be unpleasant to watch, it's not like the 2008 situation where everything was going to hell for an unknown period of time.

So, as an experienced observer of market gyrations (see my tagline), I'm going to wait it out, with just a few actions taken. I'll definitely do my Roth conversions early this year while the market is down. And I'll probably buy some more equities with available cash when I think the market is in the vicinity of the bottom. Nothing major, just tweaking around the edges.

Last edited:

Each time is different. There's the passing of time, especially our own. There have been pandemics, wars, and the kitchen sink, with dips and recoveries of various measure. It's unlikely that this time will overlay and match a previous time. That is why we plan for worst case, such as 50% equity drop.

This time IS different. There's a likely end in sight, just based on the ebb and flow of viruses. There will be medical interventions that decrease the effect, and don't forget summer. Even the production disruptions will be temporary. So while the drop can be unpleasant to watch, it's not like the 2008 situation where everything was going to hell for an unknown period of time.

So, as an experienced observer of market gyrations (see my tagline), I'm going to wait it out, with just a few actions taken. I'll definitely do my Roth conversions early this year while the market is down. And I'll probably buy some more equities with available cash when I think the market is in the vicinity of the bottom. Nothing major, just tweaking around the edges.

Advised dad to get on his conversion. I moved some cash back onto the table. Slowly. Prepared to double down if i have to in the event of another 18% rout lol.

No, that’s not what I’m saying. I meant that at age 54 over the last 10 years we’ve ticked down toward FIRE from 100% stocks to 80/20 to 60/40 to 50/50. Before we got more balanced, swift stock downturns like this one were wilder to ride. This time the experience is different because our bonds are tugging the other way. To your point, I’d guess our home equity will tug the other way, too, since mortgage rates are trending down, and we have some cash. No doubt many other asset classes are acting as ballast to stocks, too. What are you experiencing?

Looking at my accounts, my VTSAX is down about 15% from this year's high. My bond fund (I have only one) is stuck in neutral (no NAV change due to this market drop).

My preferred stocks are not dropping more than 1 - 3 % and a couple are actually up. :cool:

My AA is 25/75, the 75 being CD's, Bond fund, MM cash, etc.

I am 76 and not risking much in the market.

Our home equity is whatever it sells for when the time comes (no mortgage). Home prices don't move much in Texas, maybe 2% per year these days.

Did Tax Loss Harvesting in taxable acct
VTIAX (Vanguard International Fund) >> VFWAX (Vanguard FTSE EX-US World Fund)
VTMSX (Vanguard Tax Managed small Cap Fund)>> VTSAX (Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund)
Will Rebalance next week if the rebalance bars get hit
Have a great Weekend!

Happy with AA and very glad I decided to do a relatively big sell in January instead of waiting until December.

I have long ago concluded that I am very much a glass half full kind of person. Hopefully it means that when the apocalypse comes that I will die happy :)

I took our annual withdrawal of funds in January. If the funds are still well down next January then we have enough in cash to carry us forward a year without any withdrawals. Next year we will both also start receiving our UK SS. Early 2021 DW will start her US SS. I plan to start my US SS in 2025, but can always pull the trigger before that if needed.

Looking at my accounts, my VTSAX is down about 15% from this year's high. My bond fund (I have only one) is stuck in neutral (no NAV change due to this market drop).

My preferred stocks are not dropping more than 1 - 3 % and a couple are actually up. :cool:

My AA is 25/75, the 75 being CD's, Bond fund, MM cash, etc.

I am 76 and not risking much in the market.

Our home equity is whatever it sells for when the time comes (no mortgage). Home prices don't move much in Texas, maybe 2% per year these days.

Nice. Looks like a good plan.

Yes, it was a tough time! :) Isn't it funny that I am not sure about such a recent memory (1918), while I can remember the Black Plague as if it were yesterday. :D

How did the market recover from Black Plague?

@copyright1997reloaded must have had the foresight to buy shares in the Dutch East India Company during the Black Plague market downturn.

So in 2007/2008 I was fully freaking out. I was still working, had just lost my dad (and gotten a mid-size inheritance) and was terrified about what to do with that. Fortunately, I discovered some of the more rational investing sites like er.org, bogleheads, etc... I learned about asset allocation and lazy portfolios.

I put that into place.

The market did well.... Then I retired in 2014 and saw a few dips... not big dips like this week - but big enough.... but I stayed the course... checking for rebalance needs every quarter...

I guess this has paid off - because I'm relatively calm even though we've lost more in just this week than 3-4 years worth of withdrawals.... Portfolio is still higher than it was not too long ago - and definitely higher than when I retired.

The only bummer is that younger son (age 17) just bought in his first Roth for $1k this week... It's now worth $900. I'm not going to tell him. He's got plenty of time to recover the loss.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom