This weather is awful - 2022 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard that the wind turbines are not supplementing much due to lack of wind during this heat wave. Please do not charge your electric cars during peak demand:LOL:.
No worries, most EV owners charge at home during the night.

I have an 11:30 Tee time Thursday and it's supposed to be balmy out that day (slightly under 100 F). I'll use suntan lotion and dress accordingly.

Another "snow day" in Scottsdale today. 113 for high today. Stay inside and read a book!

Wow.
I guess I can't complain, currently 88, heading to 95 today.
But that is hot here

Another "snow day" in Scottsdale today. 113 for high today. Stay inside and read a book!

I am a few miles south of you. The nearest Wunderground microstation reports 115F as I write this.

Just went out to the backyard solar shed to see how my solar+battery is doing.

Decided to not run the pool pump today. Told my wife, I will be running the pool pump every other day to save some solar juice for more essential appliances, such as the ACs.

My sympathies to the 100+ degree club.
Here in SW PA 85F. Around 4 PM turned on the AC. This morning it was 61F. Went Kayaking at 7 AM. Like to be off the lake by nine or so, when the temp hits 75F.

My sympathies to the 100+ degree club.
+1

I was just messaging a girlfriend on another forum who is taking care of her elderly MIL, who just got a pacemaker and is feeble; they are near San Antonio and got up to 113F today. :eek: She is scared to death that her MIL could die if they cut back the AC, as urged by the government. Makes me feel lucky that we only got up to 101F today here in New Orleans.

My sympathies to those whose areas are hotter and/or whose AC cannot keep up. :(

^^^^^^^^^

I wonder if something like this https://www.top5portableaircoolers....7627&msclkid=19895bdfdc0d1f189a98391368d91f5e could be used in those situations where electricity is intermittent, expensive or central air is not an option.

I think I would try one of these if my mom (were still living) and needed cooling during these incredibly hot days. YMMV

Thanks! I'll suggest it to her. :) She said electricity is supposed to get really expensive this summer in her area.

Word of warning on the chillwell ‘air conditioner’. It’s a very small swamp cooler that blows cool air for a couple of hours. With 60% humidity the one I bought was little better than a small fan. Really poor customer service from the company too. YMMV.

Reactions: W2R
... AC still keeping the house a comfortable ~72 all day... Even cuts off once or twice a day for ~5 minutes. ...

I'm surprised that people who live in hot climates would have the AC at 72F. That seems really chilly.

We've used the AC intermittently this year so far, and usually set it to 77F, maybe down to 75 when we expect company. Our blood is probably still thick from winter, so you'd think we'd want it on the cool side! If we set ours to 72, we'd feel like an iceberg. We are in shorts, T-shirt and bare feet, which makes 77F comfortable for us.

-ERD50

I couldn't imagine having that kind of heat. We have had one day over 90 this year so far. When it is 83 today it was way too hot for me. Looks like a few warm days coming towards the end of the week.

Here in Texas, on some days the supplement the power grid gets from wind power dips during the day in this extreme heat as the wind slows and is making supply vs demand come close to needing rolling outages. Everyone is being asked to cut back on usage between 2 - 8PM by ERCOT. We have two AC units, I keep upstairs at 78, and downstairs at 76 and I even find it necessary to put my sweatpants on in the afternoon and evening as I get cold. Forecast looks like a continuation of this heat wave for many more days.

Here in Texas, on some days the supplement the power grid gets from wind power dips during the day in this extreme heat as the wind slows and is making supply vs demand come close to needing rolling outages.

I read the winds were so weak yesterday that wind generation was only 8% of normal. Similar conditions expected today.

Temps pretty normal here, we're so glad we chose this region to retire/relocate to - not too hot in summer, nor too cold in winter. We've even had decent rain lately, so I don't have to (pay to) water the lawn. YMMV

I'm surprised that people who live in hot climates would have the AC at 72F. That seems really chilly.

We've used the AC intermittently this year so far, and usually set it to 77F, maybe down to 75 when we expect company. Our blood is probably still thick from winter, so you'd think we'd want it on the cool side! If we set ours to 72, we'd feel like an iceberg. We are in shorts, T-shirt and bare feet, which makes 77F comfortable for us.

-ERD50
It is cool, but I like it. (DW and I often "discuss" that point ;) so I will compromise and set it a few degrees higher. I can live with ~74 and so can she but if she's gone for a while I'll drop it to 72.

It is cool, but I like it. (DW and I often "discuss" that point ;) so I will compromise and set it a few degrees higher. I can live with ~74 and so can she but if she's gone for a while I'll drop it to 72.

We keep our thermostat set at 77F, day and night, all summer long - and it is long: Early May to late September. Below 76 in the summer is uncomfortable for both of us. YTMV

On the mainland, we set the AC to 79 or 80. That seems adequate but I'm not certain what the actual temp is as the whole air balance got messed up when the house was built onto 20+ years ago. There are large temp. variations throughout. Haven't found anyone qualified to fix the issues, but we stay comfortable most of the time. Back home, ambient air temp of 79 is almost chilly and we start feeling too warm when outside temps reach upper 80s which is relatively unusual. In any case, if the Trades blow, we are comfortable. YMMV

We keep our thermostat set at 77F, day and night, all summer long - and it is long: Early May to late September. Below 76 in the summer is uncomfortable for both of us. YTMV
Yes the daylight (and high heat hours) are very long in the summer. But in full disclosure, to do my part to conserve, the way our house was designed I can shut off about ~1/3 from the central cooling system(s). (mainly guest areas). I had a long discussion with the AC company that installed my system to properly size and configure (zone) it.

Driving through West Texas I saw as many as 6 dust devils at one time slowly traveling across the dry plain. I had never seen so many nor so well formed. I wondered what it would be like if one crossed the road just as I did. I never found out.

Maybe this is already know by most but I just saw this for the first time today. If you live in a place with high temps put a shade umbrella over your central AC unit. Supposedly it makes a big difference on how hard the unit has to work to cool down the house. Never heard of that before today. Mine is on the North side of the house so I guess it gets more shade than if it was on any other side. Have others done this. Is there a noticeable difference?

Ours is set at 80 degrees all summer. When it is 110+ that is plenty cool for us.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom