This weather is awful - 2024 to ?

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Head's up USA. The cold is a-coming starting next week.

Two long range forecasters I follow have been sounding this alarm for about 2 weeks. They feel the normal forecasts are missing it. Both feel this is the first of quite a few cold punches through February. Montana and Washington State are going to be the first to see this.

We shall see.

Two long range forecasters I follow have been sounding this alarm for about 2 weeks. They feel the normal forecasts are missing it. Both feel this is the first of quite a few cold punches through February. Montana and Washington State are going to be the first to see this.

We shall see.

The Weather Underground's 10-day outlook for our area changes every few hours. Currently showing rain/snow for Thursday, then snow Friday and Saturday. Last night it was showing four days of snow. Often, long-range forecasts for snow in this area fizzle out, and the big snowfalls aren't predicted in long-range forecasts. But yeah, we'll see!

The Weather Underground's 10-day outlook for our area changes every few hours. Currently showing rain/snow for Thursday, then snow Friday and Saturday. Last night it was showing four days of snow. Often, long-range forecasts for snow in this area fizzle out, and the big snowfalls aren't predicted in long-range forecasts. But yeah, we'll see!

Weather Underground, Weather.com, Accuweather, etc. just plug in the long range model output of the GFS beyond 5 days. The forecasters I follow look differently. One is into analogs from previous years, the other uses atypical models that most don't use. They started aligning in thought last week.

The GFS is now aligning with their thought for 10 days out. These guys also think we'll get repeated punches beyond next week. I'm not convinced.

However, I think it is wise to be prepared. There's enough evidence to suggest things could get interesting for the next 6 weeks or so. Texas may be spared the first punch, but be aware for the follow ups.

GFS. Seattle, hello? 30 degrees below the usual.

Attachments

• temper.JPG
    temper.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 11
OK, right after I posted this, one of the guys, Ryan Maue, is raising his alarm on this upcoming cold. If you do X, here is his post.

His comment, based on the ECMWF model is:
Updated info on the impending climate emergency due to the Arctic blast across the Pacific Northwest & then into the Central and Midwest USA in the coming 5-10 days.

"Gobsmackingly bananas" temperatures 76°F below climate normal for mid-January are off-the-charts cold

From what I can see in that model, those 70 degree below climate normal are centered on Montana and Wyoming around January 15. Seattle is still "only" in the 30 below normal range. Interestingly, this model is now trying to punch the cold down to Texas by January 16, about 30 degrees below normal.

We know what happened in Texas last time... Just be prepared in case. Lots of Texans here.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, back in the east, the predicted five to eight inches of snow fizzled to two to four, and that is the heavy wet "heart attack" snow that has even the 14-year-old kid next door struggling. I could hear the throttle opening up on the snow blower when I started out with that moving that heavy snow. Better the engine throttle than me!

And I did the two neighbors on the other side both of whom have heart issues like me. A snow blower can be literally a lifesaver; I just stroll along steering that thing and it does all the work. I guess I appreciate it so much because I was "traumatized as a child" by being made to shovel snow in our driveway. At least I felt traumatized at the time. After all, two kids at school had them so "everybody" but us had one!:)

We shall see.

I am watching several weather apps. Our area shows low temps anywhere from 30 to 15 degrees and 0-5+ inches of snow in one day, to rain or snow daily.
Who knows.
Any snow here is problematic, as we don't get it that often and do not have the city machinery to care for the roads, plus hills abound. And nobody here knows how to drive in the snow, which usually also has ice.

We shall see.

Looks like winter is coming to the midwest as well. Our updated 10 day forecast shows highs of 12-20 and lows of 2-10 for 1/12 through 1/19.

I thought I would post a picture of the Northeast Snowmageddon as experienced at my house in Connecticut:

Attachments

• Snowmageddon.jpg
    Snowmageddon.jpg
    981.7 KB · Views: 18
67 F and sunny here is south Texas. I don't miss my snow shovels or my 1979 Blazer with the plow on it. LOL!

Tomorrow we have both a Flood Watch (2"-4" of rain expected), and a High Wind Warning with gusts up to 58 mph and possible tornados predicted here in our little corner of ER heaven. Eek!! :eek: All of this is predicted to start at about noon on Monday.

So Frank went into Guardian Angel mode since I can't drive any more, and he just brought me two big bags of groceries ("sandwich fixins") so I'm all set. Our houses have never flooded in the 65 years since they were built so we'll be reasonably safe here at home. I was concerned about him driving in 58 mph winds but now we have no reasons or need to leave home until the weather settles down. :greetings10:

At times like this we both realize how lucky we are to be next door neighbors. :)

Very nice day today, though the clouds are forming. Our 5 day forecast is usually useless, but we're expecting rain tomorrow (or Tuesday) and then heavy rain on Thursday. LOTs of localized flooding expected. We need rain, but it seems to come in buckets instead of gentle soaking. Well, we'll take what we get. The crews will probably be out again cleaning the valley drains. (Heh, heh, it's not uncommon to find abandoned cars in the concrete drain runs to the ocean.)

Very nice day today, though the clouds are forming. Our 5 day forecast is usually useless, but we're expecting rain tomorrow (or Tuesday) and then heavy rain on Thursday. LOTs of localized flooding expected. We need rain, but it seems to come in buckets instead of gentle soaking. Well, we'll take what we get. The crews will probably be out again cleaning the valley drains. (Heh, heh, it's not uncommon to find abandoned cars in the concrete drain runs to the ocean.)

One Bayou here in Houston, Texas a few years ago, they dragged out a dozen or so cars when they were dredging it. :LOL:

Expecting high wind and gusts up to 50mph tonight and tomorrow, usually means power outage here due to tree limbs. No matter how often or how much the power company trims trees, they still cause problems around lines.
I wish this area had underground lines like our first home did.

We have wood if needed for our old wood stove to keep some heat going. But just filled the freezer after a run to Costco last week! Time to add some water bottles :)

Some of us in the Northeast got nailed with snow yesterday. Predictions started at 3-6" for Central MA then settled at 9-12" on Saturday. I ended up with 17+ in my city. Wore out the shovel. Now they are calling for up to 3" of rain Tuesday night into Wednesday. Oh the fun of flooding not.

Some of us in the Northeast got nailed with snow yesterday. Predictions started at 3-6" for Central MA then settled at 9-12" on Saturday. I ended up with 17+ in my city. Wore out the shovel. Now they are calling for up to 3" of rain Tuesday night into Wednesday. Oh the fun of flooding not.
That sounds awful! Over 17 inches of snow, and now 3 inches of rain on top of it? I'd guess that sounds like some pretty thick ice on the way for you. Hope not!

We've got some heavy rain falling here right now and it's dark as night at 3:37 PM. An hour ago the NWS said we'd be getting 60 mph winds in our suburb before 3 PM, but as far as I can tell that didn't happen in my location. Haven't heard the "boom! Boom! boom!" of trees falling down, or even the sounds of wind whistling over the roof. Well, not loudly anyway.

Feel so sorry for parade organizers, float riders, and all the carnival/MardiGras revelers in general. What a way for Mother Nature to spoil all the fun.

23 degrees this AM, as cold as I have seen it here. Now it is high 40's and mostly sunny, so not bad.

I thought I would post a picture of the Northeast Snowmageddon as experienced at my house in Connecticut:

:) We had a coating of snow at 7pm Saturday. I figured okay, I will get up in the morning and take some some pictures. Up at 7AM, temps had warmed up above freezing overnight rain had washed away all the snow.

Gusts of 45mph tomorrow. Still playing Pickleball in the morning.

I think we're done with this round of storms. All is well. I particularly like not seeing the big red tornado warnings all over the local weather forecast any more. Don't think we got any, and it only rained a inch and a half. The winds at 3:00-3:30 AM were pretty strong and scary, and the thunder and lightning kept one from sleeping at all until the storm (here) vanished right after that. We still have a wind advisory, small craft advisory, and gale warning but I think it's over and they'll expire soon. Our houses are fine but we haven't been out to see how the rest of the neighborhood did, yet.

It's snowing here north of Chicago, was a wet slushy mix on the driveway, now it's a fluffy snow coming down at solid rate.

I shoveled off the slushy stuff, and what the snowplow had dumped at the end of the driveway, hoping I'll get some solar heat and the driveway will melt itself for the rest of the day.

It's been snowing in southern Wisconsin since last night, but we haven't had hardly any snow this winter so I don't hear too many people complaining. Forecasts are for 6-9" and then some more snow towards the end of the week. Not bad. I'll get a chance to exercise the snowblower and atv/plow.

So we had quite the rain storm here in the Islands. I haven't even checked the totals, but it all came sideways out of the south and drenched our lanai. Fortunately, we have sliders to keep it out of the apartment. BUT the front windows (across the living room) leaked and water ran down the wall to the floor. So we were sopping up water all day and ringing it out into a bucket. So glad we have tile instead of carpet!

Supposed to be more of the same tomorrow, though today isn't bad at all.

I mentioned in another thread that we had rolling 30-minute black outs because the sun wasn't shining on HECO's solar panels! Who would have ever thought of that?:facepalm: No sun during a rainy day. What will they come up with next.:LOL:

We had some rough weather come through Panama City Fl. Our carport was demolished, we have two cracked windshields, Two areas of roof trim need repair, need some soffit and fascia repairs, I need to replace about 7 pieces of vinyl siding on my shed and the sheshed. I have a broken a window on my shed, and the glass in the door of my wife's greenhouse shattered. Also we had half of the greenhouse covered with tarps because of a recent frost, that all blew off.
Some in my neighborhood had it worse, two homes lost roof panels, one lost a garage, their large motorcycle is still setting there like nothing happened. Several other carports damaged, lots of missing shingles.
Overall, an exciting morning. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom