This weather is awful - 2022 to ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The good news: the best rain we've had in many, many months
The bad news: my rain gutters are clogged. Forgot I even had them...

:cool: Maybe this will help.

Last edited:
The good news: the best rain we've had in many, many months
The bad news: my rain gutters are clogged. Forgot I even had them...

Great! Congratulations! Sure looked like a day (and two) of heavy weather for the TX Hill Country.

Forgot you had gutters, ha, ha! These days we use a drone to occasionally check ours. We don’t have deciduous trees to clog ours with leaves, but sometimes a dove builds a nest…..

Last edited:
I learned a meteorological term this week that I hadn't heard before: outflow boundary.
It's also known as a gust front. It's a downdraft air current that can be dangerously powerful. It knocked over a few trees and destroyed a shed near me.

After it moved through, we noticed that a couple of wicker-type chairs were no longer on the porch. After I looked around, I found them about 150 feet away. On the other side of the house, the glass from a full-view storm door had been dislocated -- but not broken.

It’s pouring here now! Huge thunderstorm - looks like it’s going to last for several hours.

From Accuweather today:

"Rare April subtropical storm may brew in Gulf of Mexico next week
Water temperatures will play a factor in the potential storm’s development, AccuWeather forecasters say. However, regardless of the storm’s strength, areas of heavy rain are expected for a large portion of the South next week. "​

https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurr...-may-brew-in-gulf-of-mexico-next-week/1509005

5:35 am boom shook house than several smaller crackles of thunder then pounding rain for around 30 min. Now its still on and off showers in the area. Ohh well it is spring time in Ga. if you don't like the weather just wait a little bit and it will change,sometimes for the better or other times it is worse!

From Accuweather today:
"Rare April subtropical storm may brew in Gulf of Mexico next week
Water temperatures will play a factor in the potential storm’s development, AccuWeather forecasters say. However, regardless of the storm’s strength, areas of heavy rain are expected for a large portion of the South next week. "​
https://www.accuweather.com/en/hurr...-may-brew-in-gulf-of-mexico-next-week/1509005
Hope everyone along the Gulf Coast (and East coast) of the US has an uneventful Atlantic hurricane season. Sounds like they are calling for a below normal season, at this time. Of course, it only takes one if you are the one hit.

Last edited:
Hope everyone along the Gulf Coast (and East coast) of the US has an uneventful Atlantic hurricane season. Sounds like they are calling for a below normal season, at this time. Of course, it only takes one if you are the one hit.

Thanks. I'm not actually too worried about the "rare subtropical storm" that accuweather posted about, but thought it was interesting. I hope we do have a below normal season, because after my "Ida+Covid" evacuation in 2021 I just don't want to deal with any of it this year (or ever, but that'd be asking a bit much).

If it wasn't for hurricanes and crime, this place would be paradise IMO. Oh well! I do like it better here than some parts of the country that are much more popular.

Today we have a flood watch and 95% chance of rain which is supposed to last through Sunday. That's fine with me because our houses are high and don't ever seem to flood. Right now it's dark and looks stormy so I'll just be hanging out here at home and enjoying the sounds of rain. I'm sure the ravens and other birds are excited because they love rolling in the wet grass after a good rainfall.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-07 113926.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-04-07 113926.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 15
More rain. This multi-day system has been streaming up from the mountains of northeast Mexico after a strong cold front passed through. Extending really far through central TX and along the gulf coast. Don’t see any rotation indicating a low pressure system.

Ended up with another 2.6 inches. >7 total inches over the past 10 days, very grateful.

Last edited:
^^^^^My 6" rain gauge overflowed over the last week, so I'm not sure... Rain finally stopped last night. We have about 20 ducks that have taken up residence in one of our overflowing ponds. They seem to have been loving all the cool days and rain.

Last edited:
Those leaves were not there yesterday.
I've been watching my oak tree for signs of spring growth. It has been bare, no buds, no green. Now there are full leaves on one branch. Turn turn turn.. there is a season.
3 days of 80f weather. Now 50 and warning for hail storms (Northern VA)

Weather folks are calling for a "super soaker" rain storm tomorrow.
Hope it's not similar to the "little" snow they predicted a few months ago that ended up dumping 10 inches in about 8 hours, which was very unusual for us.

It's another classic Spring here in Wisconsin. Cold temps then thunderstorms with hail then cold then Summer weather for a couple days and now there's a chance for 6" of snow Monday morning. It was 85 on Wednesday and it will be below freezing Sunday and Monday nights. April is crazy.

It's another classic Spring here in Wisconsin. Cold temps then thunderstorms with hail then cold then Summer weather for a couple days and now there's a chance for 6" of snow Monday morning. It was 85 on Wednesday and it will be below freezing Sunday and Monday nights. April is crazy.

Yeah, but you have to admit the stretch over this week so far has been amazing for Wisconsin! I've been grilling salmon, drinking beer on the deck and wearing shorts outside all week. Time for wood stove fires again though when this cold front arrives.

wow, just reading about the flooding from the rain in Florida--hope any of our forum folks living there are staying dry!

About the same here in northern Illinois. 83 degrees tomorrow and snow forecast for Monday. I might wait a while to take the top off the Jeep.

We had the mother of all cold front thunderstorms come through Friday night just after midnight. 80mph winds! Did a lot of damage - lots of trees down, broken limbs, power poles askew, etc.. Knocked out power to most of 2 counties along the Rio Grande.

We just now got our power back - 42 hours later. Was afraid it might stretch into tomorrow. That’s the longest we’ve had to go without power.

Last edited:
We had the mother of all cold front thunderstorms come through Friday night just after midnight. 80mph winds! Did a lot of damage - lots of trees down, broken limbs, power poles askew, etc.. Knocked out power to most of 2 counties along the Rio Grande.

We just now got our power back - 42 hours later. Was afraid it might stretch into tomorrow. That’s the longest we’ve had to go without power.

Trees down, broken limbs, etc.

:eek: Wow!!! :eek: Glad you have your power back, and I sure hope your neighborhood is able to recover soon from the wind damage. :(

Wow, I guess I won't complain about getting snow tomorrow on May 1st. Not too much anyway..

Yep, we had two tornado watch "events" last week and some of the worse electrical storms I can remember that lasted for hours. Pretty high winds too and lots of rain. I think one was Tuesday night and the other Friday. We are ~500 miles NE of you but I'm pretty sure it was the same storm front(s). I checked out the generator in preparation for the storms so naturally the power didn't go out this time. :) Glad you got your power back.

We have had so many bad weather events this "Spring" sometimes I just don't post about them.

Last edited:
Yep, we had two tornado watch "events" last week and some of the worse electrical storms I can remember that lasted for hours.
Oh yeah! That was the biggest electrical storm I’ve ever seen. Non-stop flashing lighting up the sky and it went on forever. Never experienced lightning like that before.

I’m sure it was the same storm because it was right on the edge of a powerful cold front.

I used to seeing a squall line on the radar, but this thing was massive! Very thick and wide solid red and thus took a lot time to pass.

Last edited:
I hope it's not too much! Crazy weather lately.

My house should get no more than an inch of wet snow. Northern part of the state could get half a foot in spots. Not a concern to me since I don't have to go anywhere and it'll be melted probably by Noon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom