Those of you with AutoImmune problems this should be of interest

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dr, Ken Barry has loads of videos on Keto and Carnivore, I found this one of great interest as it contains a hypothesis, about autoimmune disease. It gets into non essential amino acids, aka, non protein, or non proteinigenic. There are 600 of these and the come from plants. The problem is one of these non-essential amino acids is Canavanine, it looks so much like L-arginine that your RNA mis-incorporates it into the protein it makes, then your immune system doesn't like the shape of the protein and a does what it is supposed to do and attacks it as foreign. He then goes on to another non essential amino acid Azetidine-2-Carboxylic Acid, that looks like the essential amino acid Proline that can be mis-incorporated into a protein and be attacked buy your immune system. I hope that's enough to interest you in the video.

Summary?

Is he selling supplement(s) to 'fix' the issue? :)

I re-watched the whole video, thinking you saw something I didn't, there is no selling. He does say researcher are looking for the pill, shot or infusion to correct the problem so they can make their million, but he is giving this advice free to help those with autoimmune problems.

So no, he says a carnivore diet is all you need, you can add eggs and butter, but does suggest you might eat all meat and see if symptoms resolve than add back eggs and butter but those aren't normally any problem. He says if you enjoy liver it is highly nutritive, but not a necessity. I have watched many of his videos and never saw him tout his supplements. Now in his video he does have 4 supplements in the background, two are beef liver for those that want to get their liver but don't like to eat it, even though he says it's not necessary. I can't read the other two so don't know what they are. I think it is a very interesting theory, and it's funny that vets are aware of food animals fed to much of certain plants with these non nutritive amino acids that mimic essential amino acids get sick and they recognize the problem and know how to correct it. Watch it at 1.5 speed if time is a problem, as I say it is an interesting theory with so much anecdotal evidence that it at least has to be looked, it should be researched but thee is no money in suggesting a diet.

My DH has an autoimmune disease and has tried many different diets. For him eating red meat causes a flair so a carnivore diet would be a no no. He does best on a gluten free, no red meat diet with lots of fruits and vegetables and fiber.

Hi Time2. I will watch it.

Unlike Harlee's DH, red meat does not cause flares for me - although I don't eat it that often.

Unfortunately eating wheat (which I used to love) has become torture. I also get flares from nightshade vegetables and cheese. I seem to be ok with broccoli, brussel sprouts, romaine lettuce, mushrooms.

I have an autoimmune condition and have been camping with friends over the past couple of weeks. I had to opt out of their carnivore diet after about three days.

I have an autoimmune condition and have been camping with friends over the past couple of weeks. I had to opt out of their carnivore diet after about three days.

What were the symptoms that caused you to stop. Were you getting enough fat and salt?

Doctor Ken Berry is great he has many videos on YouTube about different medical conditions and how solve them I have been eating keto carnivore for 2 years cut out all grains. Sugar and seed oils never felt better down about 45 pounds also Dr. William Davis has a great book SUPER GUT food is medicine have a great day

What were the symptoms that caused you to stop. Were you getting enough fat and salt?
It was repeated trips to the campground outhouse. Even though it was a very clean concrete vault toilet, one visit a day was enough.

I doubt it was connected to my autoimmune condition. After decades of limiting animal fat because of high cholesterol, I'm just unaccustomed to a steady diet of steaks, pork chops, and bacon.

Last edited:
It was repeated trips to the campground outhouse. Even though it was a very clean concrete vault toilet, one visit a day was enough.

I doubt it was connected to my autoimmune condition. After decades of limiting animal fat because of high cholesterol, I'm just unaccustomed to a steady diet of steaks, pork chops, and bacon.

Yes, this is a known situation and I have read it takes about two weeks for you gut bacteria to change to the new food source and the diarrhea then goes away. I went into Carnivore having Diarrhea and it did take a couple weeks before that corrected. The only thing I can add is with less bulk going in, there is much less coming out. At this time one visit is enough.

If one has a gut issue, a significant diet change can alter the gut microbiome enough to alter symptoms. So it's not surprising that some people react positively to carnivore diet. It's going to be hit and miss, though, since we all have our own microbiome fingerprint. I was reading that AI might come up with solutions. Something like the novel antibiotic that AI discovered. If the problem can be boxed-in, and enough of the right data gathered, there might be a real solution uncovered.

My husband had a rare autoimmune disease (dermatomyositis with pulmonary fibrosis) which the rheumatologists wanted to treat with steroids and low dose chemotherapy. We wanted to find the cause but the doctors weren't interested, they just wanted to do symptom control. I eventually started to suspect Lyme disease and my husband tested positive. Treatment for Lyme disease and Babesiosis eventually turned his supposedly incurable condition around and he has been in remission for over a decade.

I definitely believe the gut is important but treating only the gut would have been like spitting on a forest fire in his case. Finding the true cause whether infection, chemical exposure or food reactions is important.

My husband had a rare autoimmune disease (dermatomyositis with pulmonary fibrosis) which the rheumatologists wanted to treat with steroids and low dose chemotherapy. We wanted to find the cause but the doctors weren't interested, they just wanted to do symptom control. I eventually started to suspect Lyme disease and my husband tested positive. Treatment for Lyme disease and Babesiosis eventually turned his supposedly incurable condition around and he has been in remission for over a decade.

I definitely believe the gut is important but treating only the gut would have been like spitting on a forest fire in his case. Finding the true cause whether infection, chemical exposure or food reactions is important.

That's great that you found the source of the problem. It is true that a lot of doctors just want to give a pill. On the other hand a lot of patients that could solve a BP, glucose, or cholesterol problem with diet, don't do it, so what choice does the doctor have.

I supposedly have a genetic disorder, or so my relatives and I have been diagnosed with, and not an autoimmune disorder, but interestingly people with my "inherited disorder" have overlapping symptoms and much higher chances of multiple sclerosis, which is an autoimmune disorder. When I recently had extensive biomarker and gut testing, I found out I have most of the same out of range biomarker issues found in MS, like high akkermansia, IBS, mast cell issues, low vitamin D and low prevotella. So I'm questioning how accurate most of the disease labels by the medical field really are, and perhaps the true issues are "what's under the hood" in the gut, nutrient and organic acids testing.

High akkermansia counts are linked to IBS and a variety of autoimmune conditions. IBS is often helped, and akkermansia can be lowered, with a low FODMAP / low polyphenol diet, which has been working for me. A lot of the foods normally thought to be healthy like tea, nut and berries help grow akkermansia.

I don't know anything about Canavanine except what is in this thread. I will be sure to watch the video. However, I do know that the keto diet has been shown to work for MS. People with MS also have fungus / Candida issues, so that might be another reason why a keto diet works, since it restricts sugar and carbs which yeast like to eat.

Related Links:

Keto Diet Shows Major benefits for MS - https://news.virginia.edu/content/ketogenic-diet-shows-major-benefits-multiple-sclerosis

Gut Microbes Could Help Trigger MS - two bacterial groups, Acinetobacter and Akkermansia, were four times more abundant in MS patients than in individuals with no disease. - https://www.science.org/content/article/gut-microbes-could-help-trigger-multiple-sclerosis

Investigating the role of Akkermansia muciniphila and intestinal IL-17RA signaling in autoimmune inflammation - https://grantome.com/grant/NIH/R21-AI146696-01.

For those that are interested, there's a ton more studies on akkermanisia and autoimmine disorder links out there on Pubmed.

It is nice to see some confirmation in the responses, The problem is there are no big studies testing a carnivore diet to alter symptoms of various disease. There is no money in saying change your diet, the money is in developing a new med. The one exception to solid info rather than the copious amount of anecdotes, may be with epilepsy, this site is about keto, but carnivore is just less carbs. Funniest line in here is, "Doctors usually recommend the ketogenic diet for children whose seizures have not responded to several different seizure medicines." Ya, let's give meds rather than fix their diet! Low carb diet has dramatic effects on reducing or eliminating seizures and well documented.

https://www.epilepsy.com/treatment/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet

https://carnivore.diet/category/success-stories/epilepsy/

It is nice to see some confirmation in the responses, The problem is there are no big studies testing a carnivore diet to alter symptoms of various disease. There is no money in saying change your diet, the money is in developing a new med. The one exception to solid info rather than the copious amount of anecdotes, may be with epilepsy, this site is about keto, but carnivore is just less carbs. Funniest line in here is, "Doctors usually recommend the ketogenic diet for children whose seizures have not responded to several different seizure medicines." Ya, let's give meds rather than fix their diet! Low carb diet has dramatic effects on reducing or eliminating seizures and well documented.

https://www.epilepsy.com/treatment/dietary-therapies/ketogenic-diet

https://carnivore.diet/category/success-stories/epilepsy/

Quite a few disorders are now being linked to fungal infections - MS, autism, Parkinson's, fibromyalgia and Alzheimer's to name just a few. I think all of these diseases have shown benefits from a keto diet, but maybe low carb would work just as well. The common link is they are all now being linked to fungal infections, and fungus seems to like sugar.

Many of these disorders tend to have links, like if you have one you are more likely to get the other, so there is some common denominator, and from the studies at least one good candidate is fungus.

Candida and Yeast Overgrowth — Great Plains Laboratory

"Elevation of yeast metabolites such as tartaric acid and arabinose are found in many of the same disorders and are even more common in autism, SLE [Systemic Lupus Erythematosus], Alzheimer’s disease, fibromyalgia, attention deficit hyperactivity, and chronic fatigue syndrome. The arabinose may interfere with gluconeogenesis and also may through pentosidine formation significantly alter protein structure, transport, solubility, and enzymatic activity as well as triggering autoimmune reactions to the modified proteins.

I won't post all the different studies but if you look on Pubmed most if not all of the above mentioned diseases are linked to keto being beneficial and fungus as contributing factor, though not in the same studies. Just people like this organic acids lab guy seem to have made the overlapping connection so far. And other researchers like this -

Fungi cause brain infection and memory impairment in mice
https://www.bcm.edu/news/fungi-cause-brain-infection-in-mice - “These findings suggest that the role fungi play in human illness potentially goes well beyond allergic airway disease or sepsis,” Corry said. “The results prompted us to consider the possibility that in some cases, fungi also could be involved in the development of chronic neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and multiple sclerosis. We are currently exploring this possibility.”

Last edited:
The organic acids tests to look for fungal markers like the Great Plains article above costs around $300, plus provides maybe another 25 - 100 biomarker scores. One of my relatives with a serious brain disorder took the test and had sky high fungal scores. Since then they have been on a lower glucose diet with some natural antifungal botanicals and visibly improving. Plus they had other markers that needed addressing, which they wouldn't have known about without this and some other gut and nutrition tests. All the off markers and improvements are supported by Pubmed research, so there is solid science behind what they are doing, but without the test they would not have known which markers to address.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom