Thoughts on TESLA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just bizarre...Arizonans Attack Self Driving Cars

CHANDLER, Ariz. — The assailant slipped out of a park around noon one day in October, zeroing in on his target, which was idling at a nearby intersection — a self-driving van operated by Waymo, the driverless-car company spun out of Google.

He carried out his attack with an unidentified sharp object, swiftly slashing one of the tires. The suspect, identified as a white man in his 20s, then melted into the neighborhood on foot.

The slashing was one of nearly two dozen attacks on driverless vehicles over the past two years in Chandler, a city near Phoenix where Waymo started testing its vans in 2017. In ways large and small, the city has had an early look at public misgivings over the rise of artificial intelligence, with city officials hearing complaints about everything from safety to possible job losses.

Some people have pelted Waymo vans with rocks, according to police reports. Others have repeatedly tried to run the vehicles off the road. One woman screamed at one of the vans, telling it to get out of her suburban neighborhood. A man pulled up alongside a Waymo vehicle and threatened the employee riding inside with a piece of PVC pipe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/us/waymo-self-driving-cars-arizona-attacks.html

Honestly, we stop for some food food and get back on the road. Stops only as necessary to answer mother nature's call. So except for a stop for the night we just keep on keepin' on.

I've learned that my limit for driving is right around 8 hours per day. I have a lot of admiration for those who can keep pushing through.

I ran across something like this, and was about to share it on the other thread about SDC, as it has little to do with Tesla per se.

I believe people confuse Waymo cars with the Uber cars, one of which killed a pedestrian in Tempe, AZ.

As people feared, including some of the SDC developers, accidents will cause a backlash, and public rejection of the technology. Sad!

Think about this some more, I realize that if we can make a battery that is small and light enough to fly a 747, then a battery to drive a car will be about the size and weight of the starting battery of the ICE car now. To double the range, just carry another battery in the trunk.

That would be great, and also solves our energy problem that is talked about in another thread about renewable energy. Just a couple of batteries, each the size of the normal lead acid batteries will run my 5-ton home AC for a couple of days. I would not mind having that.

Today.

I remember, during my career ,when a terabyte of data required a 100,000 sq. ft. data center to support it. I carry a TB in my pocket today.

I'm not suggesting it's easy or even within our knowledge today, but in 25 years? Who knows? A buddy who has RP, had one optic nerve severed in the 1960s. Surely they could reattach it after they cured RP. Neither has happened. Who knew?

The advance in electronics is done by shrinking the transistor. And they keep on shrinking it. The smaller the transistor, the faster it switches, and the lower power it draws, and the more of them can be packed on a chip for more processing power.

But most things do not become more powerful when we shrink them. Like batteries or motors or rocket engines. So, entire new things will have to be invented. It is harder and less predictable, compared to chip makers who have the roadmap on how to keep making things smaller and smaller.

And many things cannot be shrunken. Smaller wires can never carry more currents than large wires. Ohm's law prevents that. So, people were excited about high-temperature superconductor. Sadly that did not work out.

And "high-temperature" here means 13 deg Kelvin, which is -436 deg F.

Last edited:
For real road trippers, 8 hours is nothing. 12-16 hours is a serious day for them. It usually means stopping only for restroom and gas, and eating on the road while driving in order to maximize the miles. So for these people an EV is just not going to be a practical alternative, unless they change the schedule for less miles.

I do think EVs will become more popular, especially for the urban city dwellers. Will Tesla stock be a long term success from investment perspective, as the original question from this long ranging thread? No idea, I am not an active Tesla investor either. What I do know is that ICE vehicles will be around for a long time. The end is not nearly as soon as the EV fans predict.

BTW, in previous posts it is made reference to EVs being "better technology" or "superior design". I do not agree as it is different technology. Modern ICE vehicles have very high technology level. EV are not better, they are different. One is not better than the other, there are also areas of common technology between them.

For real road trippers, 8 hours is nothing. 12-16 hours is a serious day for them. It usually means stopping only for restroom and gas, and eating on the road while driving in order to maximize the miles. So for these people an EV is just not going to be a practical alternative, unless they change the schedule for less miles.
BTW, in previous posts it is made reference to EVs being "better technology" or "superior design". I do not agree as it is different technology. Modern ICE vehicles have very high technology level. EV are not better, they are different. One is not better than the other, there are also areas of common technology between them.

Let's just say that it is "better" for most if you agree that most people prefer a car/truck that:
1. Is very quiet except for the sound system;
2. Emits no noxious gas;
3. Has superior handling due to low center of gravity;
4. Has more leg room due to no center drivetrain;
5. "Refuels" in your driveway each night;
6. Is faster off the line with better torque; and,
7. Has fewer moving parts to break.

Now, some prefer an old school engine growl, oil leaks, and exhausting road trips, but most do not.

The advance in electronics is done by shrinking the transistor. And they keep on shrinking it. The smaller the transistor, the faster it switches, and the lower power it draws, and the more of them can be packed on a chip for more processing power.

But most things do not become more powerful when we shrink them. Like batteries or motors or rocket engines. So, entire new things will have to be invented. It is harder and less predictable, compared to chip makers who have the roadmap on how to keep making things smaller and smaller.

And many things cannot be shrunken. Smaller wires can never carry more currents than large wires. Ohm's law prevents that. So, people were excited about high-temperature superconductor. Sadly that did not work out.

And "high-temperature" here means 13 deg Kelvin, which is -436 deg F.
All true. The other truth is people found a way to do "it" different. I'm not sure shrinking the current solution is the answer. HDD guys couldn't shrink their solution to fit in my pocket.

I'm not arguing it's an impossible problem given our current knowledge. We don't know, what we need to know, to solve this problem.

Let's just say that it is "better" for most if you agree that most people prefer a car/truck that:
2. Emits no noxious gas;

Now, some prefer an old school engine growl, oil leaks, and exhausting road trips, but most do not.

I think you forgot the most important one, at least to me anyway. Specific to Tesla, the car is entirely software driven, and so the features of the car can be continually improved through over the air software updates. Other manufacturers may eventually come out with EVs to compete with Tesla, but if they don’t implement the features through updatable software that is continuously improved, they will not be competitive against Tesla.

Quite true. I recognize that I'm an outlier since I've averaged well over 20K miles per year driving for many decades. So a pure EV is utterly out of the question for me.
I also vividly remember a situation long ago when, due to some odd circumstances, it was essential to drive from NYC to LA in three days flat, back when the national speed limit was 55 mph.

But I grant that for the majority of drivers the day of pure EVs is coming faster than they may expect.

I bought a PHEV earlier this year and it's the absolute best thing for me. Around home I can easily get around 50 mpg and even on long road trips I get around 30. If I'm able to charge overnight on those trips it's even better.

My feeling is that we'll see a majority of the vehicles on the road using at least some battery power within 20 years, but not much before that.

All true. The other truth is people found a way to do "it" different. I'm not sure shrinking the current solution is the answer. HDD guys couldn't shrink their solution to fit in my pocket.

I'm not arguing it's an impossible problem given our current knowledge. We don't know, what we need to know, to solve this problem.

How small is your pocket that you cannot fit this 0.85" HDD in it? :)

It weighs 2 grams, and was intended to go into mobile phones, cameras, etc... The problem is its capacity is only 8GB, and it quickly lost out to flash memory.

About technology, as I mentioned, if we can build a battery that can fly a 747, then long before that a lesser battery would already solve all other problems with energy storage, such as EVs, motorhomes, home energy storage, etc... But until someone invents it, it's just a pipe dream.

By the way, the 13K number I quoted is wrong. The highest superconducting temperature is 138K, or -211F.
61Kq-%2BKKa2L._SX425_.jpg

PS. The drive above was made by Toshiba in 2004. I recall seeing a little larger drive made by IBM in about 2000. Could not find that on the Web, but found this 1" Seagate drive.

220px-Inside_a_1-inch_Seagate_ST1_Micro_HDD.jpgp

Last edited:
2. Emits no noxious gas;

You forgot to mention the auto ignite feature of the batteries without even using a hydrocarbon source. :D

No one ever mentions the cost of a battery replacement. (it happens).:facepalm:

2. Emits no noxious gas;

What is more important than auto safety? The Model 3 was the safest car tested by the NHSTA in the last 7 years. So the above list, and possibly not dying in a car accident. Thats why I bought mine.

I'm curious to know how the owner of the car is billed for the power they consume at the Tesla charging stations? Do they use a credit card? Or is there some other system to charge the user? What's the cost of the electricity?

My Model X gets free supercharging for life at the superchargers, so I haven't paid a penny.

I've learned that my limit for driving is right around 8 hours per day. I have a lot of admiration for those who can keep pushing through.
That's pretty close for what we do with that trip. It's a common one for us as we go back to visit our sons family. Just about 8 hours and then stop midway for the night. I know of some friends who do similar trip in one day, no thanks. [emoji3]

My concern with EV is that would extend our daily drive time by a couple of hours each day.

Do all Model X owners get free power for life?

I believe that went away in September of 2018, and if you refer a buyer you get 100$ of supercharging into your account.

My last electric bill was 38.54, and thats with 2 Tesla's, one I charge exclusively at home, the other occasionally. And thats at CA prices for electricity.

Probaby a new thread related to flying.

June 9, 2018 -- Electric airplanes could be just over the horizon
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/electric-airplanes-could-be-just-over-the-horizon/
Great video. Using some of the smaller airports and smaller planes. Also reduces noise so some travels in areas where noise restrictions cause problems.

Video?

Of the flying airplane in the video, they said it was what they "envisioned" their product to look like. Theirs has not been built and still in the design phase. The still photo in the article has the caption "A mock up of what Zunum Aero envisions their electric planes will look like".

It will be a hybrid plane. On pure electric drive, they expect the range to be 100 miles.

This would still be impressive, because an experimental electric plane that I saw actually flying was a small one the size of a Cessna or smaller, and the range was not all that great (20 or 30 miles?).

Last edited:
If we can get, say a 10x improvement in battery weight and volume, a lot of exciting things can happen.

But at the present, as mentioned in an article titled "Electric flight is coming, but the batteries aren’t ready",

"... flying requires an incredible amount of energy, and presently, batteries are too heavy and too expensive to achieve liftoff. The technology that allows Tesla to squeeze 300 miles of range out of a Model 3 or Chevy to get 200 miles out of the Bolt isn’t enough to power more than a two-seater aircraft with a flight range limited to only a few miles."

See: https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/14/...flying-car-battery-weight-green-energy-travel.

The article described the crash of an experimental plane built by Siemens, which appeared to catch fire in the air when they were testing high-energy motors and batteries.

How many miles driven during the month?

I don't track by the month. 1,859 miles in my Model 3 since August 7. 4,318 miles in the Model X since late March. Averaging it out would be fine, I don't drive much different month to month.

Zero problems so far. Last ICE was a Prius that was perfect for 7 years.

I don't track by the month. 1,859 miles in my Model 3 since August 7. 4,318 miles in the Model X since late March. Averaging it out would be fine, I don't drive much different month to month.

Zero problems so far. Last ICE was a Prius that was perfect for 7 years.

Not a problem, just thought Tesla software would provide that.

When i go on vacation for 2 weeks (out of the country) my auto gas bill is under $50, because I don't drive many miles.

I have to say, with you owning 2 Tesla vehicles and only drivibg a total of about 10,000 miles per year, well you don't seem like a Tightwad like your username suggests. [emoji3]

2. Emits no noxious gas;

I do not agree with all of the points listed, and go ahead call me a luddite. I'll wave as I drive by when you at the charging station.

You seem to think different is automatically better. I don't, it's just different. EV does have some advantages, but there are drawbacks in other areas.

I'll stop as neither side of this argument can win. Enjoy your Tesla, I will stick with my non-EV transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom