Tiger Woods in Serious Car Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one stat that Tiger has that really stands out is the number of consecutive tournaments he played without missing the cut:
Between 1998 and 2005, Tiger Woods made the cut in 142 consecutive events to break the PGA TOUR record of 113 events previously held by Byron Nelson.

Golf is not my sport... Although I'll admit I did visit Torrey Pines while on a business trip to San Diego many years ago. The guys I was on that trip with, were golf nuts, I wasn't... However, I'll never forget the visit since Black's Beach is there too! I wondered why there were so many guys standing on the edge of the cliffs above Black's Beach with telescopes and binoculars. Wow, what a view....:cool:

From my limited knowledge of the sport, I've always felt Tiger was in the running for the GOAT title. If not the best, certainly among the very top. But as I said, it's not my sport so what do I know...

As far as his personal/family life, that's his business... From my POV, he isn't much different than so many politicians, actors/actresses, business leaders, or other famous people... Like so many of them, he just got caught too...

Last edited:
Definitely a Tiger fan here. Before him I rarely watched golf. Tiger made it fun to watch. While these injuries may be difficult for him to overcome and play at the level he is used to, I bet he tries. Either way, he will still have a role in Golf and hopefully we all get to watch his son!

I think a big part of the reason for Tiger's previous knee and back surges was how he swung the club when he was young. He had such an extreme turn and torque that it had to have an impact on his knees and back.

I suppose if majors is the deciding factor then Jack wins. But if the criteria is most wins overall or the most dominant then Tiger wins.

Too many people that know what they're talking about have said that no one ever played the game as well as Tiger. A couple more things Tiger has done:

Tiger once played 52 consecutive PGA rounds at par or better.
281 consecutive weeks at #1, and 264 weeks at #1, good for both 1 and 2 on the list.
Won 4 majors in a row.

It is odd in a day when when society wants to recognize every single person in the world for their contributions to humanity, that we have this obsession with GOATS.

I'll say this. Tiger was exciting to watch. I saw him live in 1997 in the Western open. His performance was draw dropping. His drives were so far ahead of the field it was ridiculous. You truly knew something special was going on.

But when I look back at golf legends, I think eras are important, as in players who created eras. For me it was Jones, Nicklaus and Woods. They are a GOTEs, greatest of their eras. Each forced the game to change.

To me, Bobby Jones had the most accessible swing. Just take a look at it someday on YouTube. It is sweet, sweet, sweet. And it felt like something I could live up to. I could never live up to Tiger's swing. That doesn't make it bad, it is just different.

Last edited:
Tiger's broken leg was described on an evening news program last night as similar to Alex Smith's leg injury. The biggest concern is of possible infection. Smith's leg did get infected and he almost lost his leg. A long road ahead for Tiger.

I have tried to watch golf, but the incessant yelling after a putt of "GET IN THE HOLEEEE!!!!" is quite annoying. ;)

I have tried to watch golf, but the incessant yelling after a putt of "GET IN THE HOLEEEE!!!!" is quite annoying. ;)

One of the silver linings of the pandemic --no idiots yelling "get in the hole" or my personal favorite "you the man."

Tiger's broken leg was described on an evening news program last night as similar to Alex Smith's leg injury. The biggest concern is of possible infection. Smith's leg did get infected and he almost lost his leg. A long road ahead for Tiger.

I didn't realize how bad Alex Smith's injury was until I saw the ESPN program about it with all the graphic photos/videos of what his leg looked like after battling the infections. Unbelievable that he is back playing football.

I didn't know Joe Buck covered golf.... But using the word "annoying" makes me believe he does.

I didn't realize how bad Alex Smith's injury was until I saw the ESPN program about it with all the graphic photos/videos of what his leg looked like after battling the infections. Unbelievable that he is back playing football.

Not for the faint of heart. I've purposely avoided seeing the videos of Alex Smith's injury and just that the word that it was gruesome.

Wishing tiger the best. Joe Thiesmann’’ injury in my mind was ten times Alex’ injury

Oh yes talk of Alex Smith totally reminded me of Joe Theismann's injury. Nausea invoking!

Yeah Fox carried the USGA events for a couple of years then bowed out. And yeah they weren't good at it.

Yeah Fox carried the USGA events for a couple of years then bowed out. And yeah they weren't good at it.

I remember some of their camera work just trying to follow shots was horrible. It was worse than me trying to watch my own drives.:LOL:

Not really a golfer here, but Tiger breathed new life into sports in general back in the day. It's been tough to see his feet of clay (hey, we've all got 'em). Hoping for a recovery and return to the sport. Sometimes a comeback is more exciting (and inspirational) than amazing talent. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom