Timing the first SS deposit.

I turn 62 next week on the 27th. Followed the directions, and filed online 90 days prior on Oct. 27. Got a reply back in the snail mail in early Dec., with my benefit amount stated, and to expect the first deposit on Mar. 25.

Everything went exactly as expected, right down to the dollar of the benefit amount as compared to my earnings statement. Didn't have to send anything in.

You have to be 62 for a full month before receiving a benefit. In my case, Feb. 27. The next payday for my birth date (27th) is Mar. 25 (fourth Wed.). That's how they figure it. For those over 62, I'm not sure, but you probably get paid a month after you file.

I did everything online back in June 2014. Did not have to mail anything, but I did have interaction with SS about 8 years ago to correct something on my personal record so they got my Birth Cert. then and I'm assuming thats why I did not have to mail anything.

I turned FRA on 12/1/2014. Some time in Early November I attempted to sign up on line but could not seem to sign up for spousal, so I abandoned the attempt, called our local office and verified that to file for spousal I would have to come in to the office. I was given an appointment for a date at the end of November. I was pleasantly surprised to find that one is eligible for the entire month preceding one's birth month if born on the 1st. I did not receive my December check on time(second Wednesday) however I did receive it around the 21st along with a refund for one month of Medicare which I had been paying separately since turning 65. I did need to provide my marriage certificate and birth certificate. The entire process was very pleasant and efficient, including a detailed estimate of my benefit on my own work history which I plan to take at age 70 and guidance on how to request elimination of the income based extra premiums DH and I pay into Medicare, once my income from employment stops and our income drops below the threshold for increased premiums.

Back
Top Bottom