Tipping

My pet peeve is Starbucks.

The guy or gal at Sbux is making you a cup of coffee and handing it to you. Sorry, not the same thing and I refuse to tip at Starbucks.
Swipe your card , they don't put up that annoying box for a tip. All they do is give you a receipt and make your coffee, or whatever you have ordered. At least that is the drill here in Seattle. Wherever you are, do you have to affirm that you do not wish to tip?

Ha

Last edited:
You hardly have to refuse to tip. Swipe your card , they don't put up that annoying box for a tip. All they do is give youk a recipt and make your coffee, or whatever you have ordered. At least that is the drill here in Seattle.

Ha
That's the drill everywhere I've been and IMO the most compelling reason to get a Starbucks card.

Wherever you are, do you have to affirm that you do not wish to tip?
No. It pops up after the transaction is complete and says something like "it's not too late to add a tip" and suggests different percentages.

I do like to use the app because of the rewards. You accumulate stars (points) with every purchase and get a free drink (pretty much anything you want) when you accumulate enough stars.

We/I mostly patronize 4 or 5 places. I tip well, I am friendly and respectful, and we always get very good service and the waiters and waitresses tend to remember our habits and choices. It enhances our experiences, and if the experience resembled Hayes Bickford or something, I and a lot of other people world rarely go there and they would soon be out of business Although I must say that "The Bick" lasted a way longer than it should have!

Service costs more (Duh!), but it sure enhances experiences.

Ha

I agree. For me eating out is about an enjoyable experience not filling your stomach(although you certainly do that as well). Apparently not everyone feels this way. For those people, I can see tipping being a real issue. Not for us.

My pet peeve is Starbucks.

If I buy a cup of coffee at McDonald's, no one there has their hand out. But, if I buy an overpriced cup of coffee at Starbucks, I'm supposed to tip?

A server at a restaurant is taking your order, bringing you your meal, checking on you during the meal, bringing you your bill, processing your payment, etc. The guy or gal at Sbux is making you a cup of coffee and handing it to you. Sorry, not the same thing and I refuse to tip at Starbucks.

(My son works part-time at Starbucks to earn extra spending money. He disagrees with me and says tipping at Starbucks discreet and voluntary. I agree that it's voluntary, but hardly discreet. They have the tip jar prominently displayed on the counter at the cash register. And if you pay using their app, you get a helpful prompt asking if you'd like to add a tip. In my mind, this is not-too-subtle pressure to tip. In fact, I went to a Starbucks earlier this week and there was a $5 bill very prominently displayed in their tip jar. I may be a cynic, but I don't think its placement was random.)
What happens if you don't tip at Starbucks?

What happens if you don't tip at Starbucks?

They revoke your hipster status. :D

Seriously, no one has ever said anything or even given me a "look". I just don't appreciate the "push" to tip by having the tip jar front-and-center or the helpful pop-up on my phone.

And, not to derail the thread, I mention Starbucks because I see it there the most. But, I feel the same way about Panera, independent coffee shops, and other fast serve places.

They revoke your hipster status. :D

Seriously, no one has ever said anything or even given me a "look". I just don't appreciate the "push" to tip by having the tip jar front-and-center or the helpful pop-up on my phone.

And, not to derail the thread, I mention Starbucks because I see it there the most. But, I feel the same way about Panera, independent coffee shops, and other fast serve places.

I just ignore those “jars”. Seems like an easy solution. I always figured they “seeded” those things early in the morning to shame you into it?

I never go to Starbucks so this isn't an issue for me. I don't go to any coffee place more than once every few years, and if/when I do, I'd rather go to Morning Call for cafe au lait and beignets than to Starbucks for coffee that to me seems, well, decidedly substandard.

As for handing the tip to the "boss" delivery man instead of one of the "helpers", yes, I always do that. Otherwise, it seems possible to me that one of the helpers might end up with the tip for the whole crew instead of his fair share. My guess is that the boss is the best person to figure out how to fairly split up the tip among his helpers.

This could be the start of all sorts of TIP GAMES.
Pick a color before going to the restaurant, if the waiter is wearing that color add/subtract $2.00

Decide on sex of server, again before going, and if matches, then add/subtract some amount.

Studies have shown that variable rewarding generates more behavioral responses desired, so your service levels could dramatically improve.
Yes the servers usually get more because breakfast are relatively cheap compared to dinners with wine. Our ROMEO group are very generous.

I agree. And if someone is waiting tables and not making well over minimum wage, they should find a new minimum wage job, IMHO.

Also a former waiter, many moons ago.
My youngest Son was working in a local restaurant close to campus. He made $55k part-time working Thurs- Sat nights with tips. When he graduated, he was offered a job 2 hours away for $35k. He stayed where he was and negotiated a transfer to a restaurant near his new work place and continued to rake in the double-dip dough for three years.

Paid off his car and saved a down payment on a house. This was 20 years ago.

I just ignore those “jars”. Seems like an easy solution.
Yep, me too. It's in the same category as those silly envelopes Marriott used to leave out (do they still do that? I haven't stayed at a Marriott since they started. Pay your staff properly, Marriott!).

I don't know what service they think they are providing. What's next, tipping the cashier at the grocery store?

I always figured they “seeded” those things early in the morning to shame you into it?
It doesn't work. :whistle:

I fill the jars at the counter with dough. Not just the change, I empty my wallet too.

They are little Ma&Pa Taquerias that just rock!

No, I say something like "Here's just a little extra...thanks for your help" as I hand them each the cash. I've even had situations where I've grabbed two guys working next door and said "I'll give you $20 each if you can move this couch for me". They come over, I hand them the cash and the helper immediately hands it to the bossman.

I have no explanation, except to think the helper knows the BOSS will fire him if he doesn't hand it over.

I worked with people working at professional type jobs, where their immigration status is held at the pleasure of the BOSS. So the BOSS who was a very nice fellow, couldn't resist "asking" the people to do this/that.
He never asked me as I'm a Citizen, but the other fellows had to say yes... nobody needed to say what might happen if they pissed off the BOSS.

Interesting isn't it? We think we need to tip servers and salon staff, but not the people who change our car's oil, show us TV's at Best Buy or fold the clothes (after we have tried them on and left them in the dressing room) at department stores. Some ee's carry heavy items from the storeroom to the front of the store while we are paying the cashier. Some chase down the grocery carts in sub freezing weather at Walmart's parking lot. I receive great service from the tellers at my credit union, yet have never tipped them. Many of those mentioned are also at or near minimum wage-so much for "servers need to make a living" argument. I think tipping is a clever way for restaurant owners to pass along the labor costs to an unsuspecting public.

So, what is the deal? Do servers and salon staff have better PR people?

If we really want true tax reform-outlaw tipping. I am sure millions and millions of dollars are under reported or not reported. Every "tipped" worker I have ever known under reports tips. In the long run, this will bite the worker on the *** due to reduced FICA contributions when SS retirement benefits are calculated.

I have no explanation, except to think the helper knows the BOSS will fire him if he doesn't hand it over.

I worked with people working at professional type jobs, where their immigration status is held at the pleasure of the BOSS. So the BOSS who was a very nice fellow, couldn't resist "asking" the people to do this/that.
He never asked me as I'm a Citizen, but the other fellows had to say yes... nobody needed to say what might happen if they pissed off the BOSS.

In this case immigration status is not the issue. These guys are local townies for the most part. I know of them but don't know them.

If we really want true tax reform-outlaw tipping. I am sure millions and millions of dollars are under reported or not reported. Every "tipped" worker I have ever known under reports tips. In the long run, this will bite the worker on the *** due to reduced FICA contributions when SS retirement benefits are calculated.
In a logical world, that's the way it would be. The current proposal to pool tips by law is the foot in the door. Once the tip data is "in the system" and employers get access, I have a feeling that through some magic, employers will only manage to find enough to pay the legal minimum. At that point, a potential server would start asking for more in the interview and we're off this absurd train.

Interesting isn't it? We think we need to tip servers and salon staff, but not the people who change our car's oil, show us TV's at Best Buy or fold the clothes (after we have tried them on and left them in the dressing room) at department stores. Some ee's carry heavy items from the storeroom to the front of the store while we are paying the cashier. Some chase down the grocery carts in sub freezing weather at Walmart's parking lot. I receive great service from the tellers at my credit union, yet have never tipped them. Many of those mentioned are also at or near minimum wage-so much for "servers need to make a living" argument. I think tipping is a clever way for restaurant owners to pass along the labor costs to an unsuspecting public.

So, what is the deal? Do servers and salon staff have better PR people?

No, and that's a strawman argument. The wage laws are different for servers (I don't know about salon staff), and tips are intended to make up the relatively huge difference between what they are paid and the minimum (at least) wage that the rest of the employees you listed receive. I don't agree with it, and would like to see it changed, but that's the way it is now. That's why no one expects to have to tip the other employees. That's not saying you can't, or even that I haven't for service over and above. But stick to apples and apples.

I'm not sure that fully claiming 100% of tips on a $60K per year waitress would qualify as "true tax reform"; I'd guess there's much bigger fish to fry out there.

But, the IRS is onto those in the service industry. The days of severely under reporting your tips are long-gone. If you're in the service industry and claim something like 7% in tips, it's red-flagged like the "home office" deduction.

As a rule, service workers will claim 15-16% to be safe and maybe pocket an extra 3% or so. AFAIK, even if you only really made 7% in tips the IRS will whack you for 15% should you be audited.

Plus credit cards automatically report tips against you on your W2 and your total 'sales' are also listed (both CC and cash) so the dodge is even more difficult.

We dine out a place that asks that the tips be left in cash when the bill is put on a CC. We never do it. If they have a problem, it is not with us.

As a rule, service workers will claim 15-16% to be safe and maybe pocket an extra 3% or so. AFAIK, even if you only really made 7% in tips the IRS will whack you for 15% should you be audited.

I doubt anyone makes as little as 15% in tips on a $3 hourly server wage. That's the equivalent of one 45 cent tip per hour which is nowhere near what the servers I know make...some of them earning $20k - $30k a year in tips alone working part time.

No one who is a server wants to end tipping. Many of them do quite well.

This may be different by each state, but according to what I read a long time ago, you only need to declare 8% of your total sales (the total sales with or without taxes? I cannot remember...) for tax purposes. Anything over that is basically tax-free money for the server, or money under the table, so to speak. Maybe things are different now that everyone uses their credit cards on which gratuities are listed, but I doubt it. I don't know how often servers get audited.

Last edited:
Been to New Zealand where they don't tip. And it shows! Service stinks. If a meal or dish is brought out cold, for example, they don't care one way or another. Found a hair in your salad? Meh... Pick it out if it bothers you because they will, then bring you back the exact same salad. Like a refill on a beverage? Good luck with that.
No thank you, I'd rather have wait staff that is going to treat me as if I may be a big tipper.

Been to New Zealand where they don't tip. And it shows! Service stinks. If a meal or dish is brought out cold, for example, they don't care one way or another. Found a hair in your salad? Meh... Pick it out if it bothers you because they will, then bring you back the exact same salad. Like a refill on a beverage? Good luck with that.
No thank you, I'd rather have wait staff that is going to treat me as if I may be a big tipper.

How do all the other businesses somehow manage to treat their customers okay without tipping? And, why does the management put up with poor customer service?

The answer to that is customers need to tell the owner they will be eating somewhere else due to poor service from the waiter.
Sooner or later the owner will replace the waiter.

With tipping, I've had over-heated and cold food brought out. I make sure to tip $0 and I complained to the manager, who did the right thing and comp'd the meal.
Bad supervision with or without tips means bad employees continue in the job to give bad service.

Back
Top Bottom