To ER or not to ER.....

Since the work is work you would jump at if it was where you are located now, I personally think that I would jump at it even with the relocation which isn't all that far away. But, I could sure see the other decision as well....

I was just faced with a similar option. After being retired for about a year, I got an offer to do something cool. The downside was that I had to move across the country to do it. I decided to take the chance. I figured that if I didn't like it, I could go right back to my comfortable early retirement. But after a year out of the workforce, in a highly specialized area, this might be my last chance to kick the tires. Given the low downside to it not working out, I would take the job and see how it goes.

Just a quick update.

I'm one day into ER...I walked out of my office for the last time yesterday afternoon.

In the end I didn't pursue the job offer in Maryland as relocating and leaving my friends would have been a big deal. I worked there once before and while I loved the work and my colleagues I never felt entirely at home.....I figured I'd be going down there to work rather than live and I just couldn't justify that. I didn't want to spend 5 or 6 years anticipating moving back to Boston and the thought of living in a condo, not really knowing anyone and having to worry about my house in Boston was a bit much. The only place I was considering living was the same town that my ex lives in....mostly because it's a great town.......but when I realized I wasn't looking for rentals anywhere else that factored into my decision not to move as there was the potential of opening an emotional can of worms for myself.

Anyway it's funny how things work out, but right as I was leaving work last night I got an email from someone at a local university offering me part time work doing similar things as I would have done in Maryland.

Last edited:
Just a quick update.

I'm one day into ER...I walked out of my office for the last time yesterday afternoon.

In the end I didn't pursue the job offer in Maryland as relocating and leaving my friends would have been a big deal. I worked there once before and while I loved the work and my colleagues I never felt entirely at home.....I figured I'd be going down there to work rather than live and I just couldn't justify that. I didn't want to spend 5 or 6 years anticipating moving back to Boston and the thought of living in a condo, not really knowing anyone and having to worry about my house in Boston was a bit much.

Anyway it's funny how things work out, but right as I was leaving work last night I got an email from someone at a local university offering me part time work doing similar things as I would have done in Maryland.
Congratulations on your ER!

That part-time work at the university sounds like a great chance to make the transistion to full time retirement. Seems like it worked out good for you in the end. Stay at your current location, have a bit of extra money, doing something that you enjoy, and only part-time so you can do more ER type activities.

Congratulations nun! Sounds like the university gig is the best of both worlds.

That part-time work at the university sounds like a great chance to make the transistion to full time retirement. Seems like it worked out good for you in the end. Stay at your current location, have a bit of extra money, doing something that you enjoy, and only part-time so you can do more ER type activities.
+1 .. excellent choice.

Back
Top Bottom