To Honor Our Heros

Agreed. It affects me unlike any other event I can think of. Sadness. Anger. Disgust. I suppose in part it is because I witnessed it live (on TV) but there are other reasons that are beyond the scope of this forum.

I still tighten up a bit every time I see "9:11" appear on a digital clock.

One thing that still bothers me was the references to the beast that headed up this attack as the "master mind" behind it all. No, it takes a master mind to construct things, any {expletive self-deleted} can tear something down.

Yes, the anger is still there.

-ERD50

No, I will never forget. DH and I watched a special last night on the history channel.
Scenes we had never seen before, from personal cameras and stories.
Remembering also, the days after. The silence in the sky from grounded planes, the quietness in the stores, the kindness given and received from others.
Knowing that we are still perceived as "the enemy" by others saddens me.

I think about 9/11 very often during the year.

“The price of Liberty is eternal vigilance.”

Last edited:
The daughter of one of my friends worked in the building, on a high floor, 60 or 70 floors up. She was a bit late to work that day, and came out of the subway station across the street just after one of the planes hit. Debris was falling all around, and she was so disoriented she just did what came naturally and started across to go in the building.

Fortunately, someone grabbed her and pulled her back into the subway and convinced her to go home. Hard to imagine a closer call than that. She still suffers a bit of PTSD to this day.

I also knew a NYC firefighter who lost his life as a result. Not that same day, but soon after. I have his ball cap on my desk.

I also have both relatives and friends who didn't come home from wars. We get over it and move on, but I hope we always remember them.

No, I will never forget. DH and I watched a special last night on the history channel.
Scenes we had never seen before, from personal cameras and stories.
Remembering also, the days after. The silence in the sky from grounded planes, the quietness in the stores, the kindness given and received from others.
Knowing that we are still perceived as "the enemy" by others saddens me.

Pacergal, I have a good friend who was an Airtraffic controller who was on duty in West Va. that morning. He has posted his rememberances many times over the years and we have talked a lot.One of the things he says is that after they had finally rerouted and gotten all the planes grounded the eirie feeling he had seeing a completly blank screen in front of him that he had never seen in all his years of traffic control. He heard someone say that a plane had been shot down over Pa.the plane that it was later learned the heroes tried to stop the terrorists.

I'm surprised and honestly a little disappointed that so few forum members here didn't take a minute today to post to this thread acknowledging their remembrance of this dark day in US history and really the history of the world and of the innocent people that were lost. I expected this thread to be 4 or 5 pages long by now.

I hope it's just because they missed/overlooked the thread and not apathy...

I wasn't on this forum all day Sunday, but I was all but apathetic. I wore a patriotic shirt to church and remembered them in my house of worship - remembered them all day and am still remembering. 9/11 is actually what brought me back into military service a second time - after my first stint during the cold war, I didn't think I'd ever reenter. But it angered me way too much - I couldn't ignore the call I felt to fight back; served another nearly 16 years for a total of 20+.

I grieve not only for the heroes and first responders of that day, but for all my comrades in arms who died downrange contributing to the war effort which began on 9/11. God rest their souls.

My wife and I attended an annual "Navy Birthday Ball" later that year. The guest speaker at the event could not attend in person. He was the admiral in charge of a battle group patrolling off the east coast, connecting via satellite phone. He spoke about how the planes were flying combat air patrols over NY City at that very moment.

Pretty sobering event for all of us.

And let us also never forget the kindness of all those who were "the helpers" that day and on the following days in New York, Washington DC, Pennsylvania or wherever they happened to be. The emotions I felt when I saw the play "Come From Away" made me cry during the performance.

My wife would like to visit the memorial in NY, but I don't want to go. It would just make me angry all over again.

And let us also never forget the kindness of all those who were "the helpers" that day and on the following days in New York, Washington DC, Pennsylvania or wherever they happened to be. The emotions I felt when I saw the play "Come From Away" made me cry during the performance.

I have tickets to see this play in the very near future.

I have tickets to see this play in the very near future.

If you can, I'd recommend reading this book before you see the play. It's probably available in your local library system

The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland
by Jim DeFede

And watch this documentary:
Gander's Ripple Effect: How a Small Town's Kindness Opened on Broadway

I live in the greater NYC area and was due two days after the attacks. I can never forget where I was and what I was doing. My biggest concern at that time was to not go into labor since so many of our area medical folks headed to NYC to help and I would only be getting in the way.

She ended up being born the 14th and the TVs in the hospital were all wall to wall attack coverage. It was hard to feel overjoyed at a new life with all the tragedy surrounding us. I will always remember that day.

I was working in WTC 4 (one of the smaller buildings in the complex) and was at my desk early. The first plane sounded like an in-bound cruise missile and shook our building, which was across the plaza from the North Tower. By the time the second plane came, we were across the street at the Millennium Hilton. I was looking up, and saw the second plane as it was turning on it's side just prior to impact. Once it hit, pandemonium broke loose. I went out the side of the Hilton, around the corner ... I was staying with my back close to the building as there was big debris raining down, and I headed down the subway stairs - luckily an uptown train was just arriving. I remember telling folks not to go outside and just get back on the train. Of course, nobody was going to listen. I remember standing during the subway ride up to Penn Station, almost numb...another woman who just got on with me was visibly shaken, hysterical in tears.

When I reached Penn Station, I quickly jumped on the first NJ Transit train heading out. I was lucky, because all the train lines were shut down shortly after. My heart finally stopped racing when the train exited the tunnel on the NJ side of the river. I didn't have anything with me, other than what was in my pockets - my wallet and car keys. Someone was nice enough to lend me their cellphone so I could quickly call my MIL, since DW would have been on her way to work already.

I was a bundle of nerves driving from the park and ride lot back to our house, and finally felt some relief pulling in to our driveway. DW was still there, alerted to what was happening, just wanting to see that I made it home. We then went and picked DD up from school as fighter jets were buzzing overhead (about 30 or 40 miles outside the city).

Anyhow, here's my colleague's post from that day:
https://tinyurl.com/rj26vxbr

Last edited:
Thank for posting this, still sad reading all the first hand accounts in the posts. I was serving in the USAF at the time and we immediately went into lockdown and a lot of long days. Still fresh in my memory are all the brave first responders on that day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom