To tent or not to tent?

Peter

Full time employment: Posting here.
We're moving house in a couple of weeks time. Termite inspection for the new place found no issues, but of course the report is full of qualifiers - 'can't see what's happening under the insulation, etc'.

I'm wondering whether it's worth getting the place fumigated before we move in, just in case there are any unwanted residents.

We had our current place tented a few years back and it was a royal pain moving out all the food, wine, plants, etc. Doing it before moving in would obviously be easier, but maybe just a waste of money since we already have a clear termite report?

Nothing is 100%... Personally, based on what you have said above, I wouldn't spend the money.

I would only tent if I knew there were termites. I fear what the poison would do to me, after all if you have to move out your plants, wine, food, it has to be pretty powerful and deadly stuff.

Generally, I'm much in favor of preventive maintenance but in this case, I'd leave it alone. Sounds like you have at least SOME confidence that termites are not an issue and tenting/bombing sounds like overkill. Are you in a PARTICULARLY bas termite area or just generally the South?

I've been told that a house could be tented and 100% of the termites killed. A few months later, the termites in another house swarm and end up in yours again.

It seems that they tend to swarm in Spring and Early summer with the colony gets too big. So, if you are going to tent the place, do it in the Fall.

Personally, I would not tent and fumigate my home 'just in case'. Save the money. I would learn the signs of termite infestation and if a big termite problem was found later on (existing or new), then spend the money.

I had a few planks on the eves of house with termites. $240 back then to treat them. I ripped the infected planks out, installed new ones, and painted them all for about $20. I never saw another sign of termites in that part of the house. YMMV.

Last edited:
I am not hampered by any knowledge of termites but I always think in terms of cost/benefit. If the tenting cost $20 you would probably do it. If it cost $200K you probably would not. Somewhere within that range is the sweet spot, considering also the likelihood that not tenting might increase the need to tent later with the consequent hassles as you describe.

I wouldn't tent if passed inspection. Which checks for evidence of termite infestation but more important conditions which invite termites.

No, I would not poison my house if it passed inspection.

Thanks everyone. Unanimous conclusion, maybe a record for the E-R forum?

Turns out that the termite inspector himself says it's a waste of money to tent when nothing showed up in his inspection. So no tenting, money saved.

Enjoy your new home!

Yeah, inspection is key - by an inspector that doesn't tent.:angel:

I would tent, per your post, the house is empty. Future tenting, when occupied is a pain.

I tried the "orange" treatment, here in Calif. After, 3-4 years, droppings returned in the same places. They only treat, visible damage. (oh, orange treatment does not require tent, or leaving the house).

Would not use "orange" method again.

Agree, with a previous poster. You can tent, and have a termites back, a few weeks/months later. Goal is to "slow" the damage. Not prevent. IMHO. :)

Thanks everyone. Unanimous conclusion, maybe a record for the E-R forum?

Turns out that the termite inspector himself says it's a waste of money to tent when nothing showed up in his inspection. So no tenting, money saved.

I would tent, per your post, the house is empty. Future tenting, when occupied is a pain.
IMHO. :)

And, there goes the first and only unanimous conclusion.

Perhaps a company like this one here in Phoenix we have used. They can see inside the walls and treat areas as needed.

https://poorboytermite.com/termites-and-treatment/

Thermal imaging camera being used to inspect a home for termites No guessing.

closeupcamerainac-nzrt5ix7qznd7bmvt074twj5iry0816oxh8flur8yy.png

Just be careful who you hire to tent your home.:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom