too young to retire

Dalmore

Recycles dryer sheets
I just had a physical after 4 years. I am mid 50s and targeting retirement for next year. I think my health to be pretty good for my age. No known issues or ailments. I exercise regularly and eat healthy, real foods and cut out as much sugar as I can. I do need to lose a 10-20 pounds, but that is about it.

I mentioned that I was retiring in the next year, and my Dr. was aghast. "You are too young to retire. Men do not do well retiring early."

Then my Dr. went on to tell me about some new statin drugs that don't damage the liver. My cholesterol is genetically high and my liver does not do well with statins. The Dr. lost me when he went on to tell me to stay away from saturated fats and eat more veggies. I thought dietary cholesterol was no longer a thing to worry about.

At two glasses of wine, I apparently drink too much and it is putting me in a high risk category for heart attacks.

It seems somewhat contradictory to tell me I am too young to retire, and that my high cholesterol and drinking puts me at a higher risk of having a heart attack. Isn't that a good reason to retire now?

A second opinion may help. Retirement usually means doing what you want when you want. It’s hard to see how that’s worse than employment.

Keep doing what you are doing, and remember that stress is also not good for your health.

Your doctor's maybe realizes that he's going to have to work until his 70's because of (1) paying back student loans, (2) he spent too much on his lifestyle and (3) he's not saved enough because he had to fund 100% of his retirement savings.

We all only have "X" number of days on this earth, and we don't know how long we've got. We must grab all the gusto we can as soon as we can.

I think there's a bit of false equivalency, or whatever they call it, going on. A lot of men who retire early DO fall ill, and die at a young age. But, what they tend to forget, is why those men retired. Often, they were in physically stressful, demanding jobs that simply took their toll and wore their bodies out. Or they had other health conditions. In these cases, they retired at a fairly young age because of health problems, not necessarily because they wanted to, and there's a good chance they would have died young whether they retired early or not.

A fine reason, as if you needed another one. By the way, RE works out just fine.

How old is your doctor?
Sounds like he is going by some older guidelines that have been called into question for quite some time now.

My doctor also tsk-tsk’d me when I told him I was retiring at 57. Now at my annual physicals he always asks me what I’m doing “to keep busy” and I basically just laugh and point out I’ve lost 30 pounds so far and haven’t gotten bored yet.

On another note, just yesterday I was reflecting on the number of old friends and coworkers whom have died in their 50s and 60s while still working. ‘Nuff said.

If I'd've had the wherewithal I would have never worked in the first place. As it is I started late and quit at 46.

There is no "Too young to 'retire".

If you have your financial ducks all in a row, I think mid-50s is a fine time to retire. The only issue I have with it is that when I was in my mid-50s I did not have enough ducks in the row to swing it, financially. I certainly would have if I could.

Hopefully when you do retire you'll join the set of recent retirees who used some of that free time to get a bit more exercise and drop the extra weight, which will IMHO, do more for your health than answering the 6:00AM alarm.

As far as statins (I'm not a fan) and your cholesterol, do a ton of your own research before reaching for the pill jar.

Best of luck to you, enjoy your retirement, as soon as possible.

When I was working I was overweight and taking statins. After FIRE at 52 seven years ago, I’m 30 pounds lighter, running daily, and all the blood numbers are good (except for vitamin D - who cares). It was the healthiest thing I ever did.

Before FIRE, I was overweight and taking a statin. After leaving full time work at 51, I’m 60 pounds lighter and go this week for blood work to see if we can totally getting off my "half dose" of statin. I am so glad I walked away, even from a promotion to stay. My health thanks me.....glad my doctor has worked with me, where he could, to correct my problems rather than more pills to mask them.

all the blood numbers are good (except for vitamin D - who cares).

Actually, you should care.
Vitamin D deficiency can lead to many health problems, and it's easy to fix. Lots of good foods contain significant Vitamin D, and a little extra time in the sunshine can do wonders.

I retired at age 48, I'd always been pretty healthy but I'd say I'm even in better health since retiring. If you feel you're ready, then do it!

How old is your doctor?
Sounds like he is going by some older guidelines that have been called into question for quite some time now.
I agree, the doctor seems very opinionated about things that either have been disproven or were never proven by medical research. Stick to the two glasses of wine (as long as your glass isn't a tankard) and give up this doctor instead!

I agree, the doctor seems very opinionated about things that either have been disproven or were never proven by medical research. Stick to the two glasses of wine (as long as your glass isn't a tankard) and give up this doctor instead!

Unless my blood work shows something unexpected, that is my plan.

My plan is to be quite active once RE, doing all the things I don't have time to do now. That includes more exercise and eating better.

Yeah, my doctor had said a few things that could be healthier for me. I know I should drink less, blah blah blah. I know the risks if any bad behavior. But I will unequivocally state that retirement is good for you

I don’t know how anyone can provide a meaningful response. Obviously your financial situation and paying for healthcare are prime considerations, but I assume you’re set there. And you’ve probably thought about all the other factors, so FWIW.

If you still enjoy your career at all and/or don’t know what you’d do with all that free time, you should consider staying with the career if you have any doubts about your nest egg. You probably can’t go back, big decision. No one should retire solely because they can afford to IMO despite what some anonymous strangers (here) might say. What works for others, may not for you.

If you become more sedentary and/or less mentally engaged in retirement, your doctor may be right. If you become less sedentary and engaged with other activities, your doctor is probably generalizing too much. There’s no universal right answer. Too much free time can lead to bad decisions.

I retired at 57, and I have mixed feelings (non financial) about it. Most of your peers and maybe all your friends will be at work all day Mon-Fri. Are you ready to be alone that much, or hang out with retirees much older than you are. It’s not that I didn’t know going in, but it’s not easy to get used to. I wasn’t going to hang out regularly with 70-80 year olds, many physically limited. Some people like solitary, so people don’t.

Best of luck with your decision. You’re the only one who can decide what’s best for you.

Last edited:
I don’t know how anyone can provide a meaningful response. Obviously your financial situation and paying for healthcare are prime considerations, but I assume you’re set there. And you’ve probably thought about all the other factors, so FWIW.

If you still enjoy your career at all and/or don’t know what you’d do with all that free time, you should consider staying with the career if you have any doubts about your nest egg. You probably can’t go back, big decision. No one should retire solely because they can afford to IMO despite what some anonymous strangers (here) might say. What works for others, may not for you.

If you become more sedentary and/or less mentally engaged in retirement, your doctor may be right. If you become less sedentary and engaged with other activities, your doctor is probably generalizing too much. There’s no universal right answer.

I retired at 57, and I have mixed feelings (non financial) about it. Most of your peers and maybe all your friends will be at work all day Mon-Fri. Are you ready to be alone that much, or hang out with retirees much older than you are. It’s not that I didn’t know going in, but it’s not easy to get used to. I wasn’t going to hang out regularly with 70-80 year olds, many physically limited. Some people like solitary, so people don’t.

Best of luck with your decision. You’re the only one who can decide what’s best for you.

I get your last point of hanging out with friends. However, I find that I'm busy with things in the morning and early afternoon and my buddies are at a point in their career that they are semi coasting. So, we hook up in the late afternoons and I get my socialization. I have a work buddy coming over for dinner tonight and we seem to catch up with most of the people I liked at work at least once a month.

I get your last point of hanging out with friends. However, I find that I'm busy with things in the morning and early afternoon and my buddies are at a point in their career that they are semi coasting. So, we hook up in the late afternoons and I get my socialization. I have a work buddy coming over for dinner tonight and we seem to catch up with most of the people I liked at work at least once a month.
That’s great, and I cherish some alone time. Some people aren’t good at occupying themselves and don’t like to be alone at all. When you retire early, you’re pretty much cut off from your age peers. Each of us are different, and I don’t know the OP or anyone else here. Just cautionary.

No one should retire solely because they can afford to IMO despite what some anonymous strangers (here) might say. What works for others, may not for you.
Quite so....especially for those whose identity revolves around their work.

. I wasn’t going to hang out regularly with 70-80 year olds, many physically limited. Some people like solitary, so people don’t..

Again, true - my late wife & I, and now DW & I, hang out together; we don't socialize, per se, (friends we have are scattered around and generally long term but we don't see them often).

We're cordial/sociable with people but that's generally as far as it's taken.

Basically, if you're not autonomous....keep working. :LOL:

I retired at 58 and within 7 months was teaching a online college class. I love doing it and it occupies some of my time. My friends are younger so still working. My husband is retired. I would be lonely if not for him. We are very social and invite people for dinner often.

I think there's a bit of false equivalency, or whatever they call it, going on. A lot of men who retire early DO fall ill, and die at a young age. But, what they tend to forget, is why those men retired. Often, they were in physically stressful, demanding jobs that simply took their toll and wore their bodies out. Or they had other health conditions. In these cases, they retired at a fairly young age because of health problems, not necessarily because they wanted to, and there's a good chance they would have died young whether they retired early or not.

Well stated.
Retirement is also a lot more fun than work.

One of the healthiest things I did when I retired (at 59) was to sleep more! I no longer am yawning in the mid-afternoon, like I did nearly every day at work.

I think back at my mid-afternoon meetings at work and realize that almost every person was yawning and looking exhausted. Sleeping appropriately (8-9 hours) has been a miracle for me and I don't think I could have added this healthy habit when I was working full time.

-BB

Actually, you should care.

Vitamin D deficiency can lead to many health problems, and it's easy to fix. Lots of good foods contain significant Vitamin D, and a little extra time in the sunshine can do wonders.

Thanks. My problem with sunshine is I’m a very white red head and I’m basically not only susceptible to burn but I also have an allergic reaction to too much sun. So I’m sure I’ve caused my own deficiency by slathering on sunscreen and wearing a hat but the alternative does seem worse. So I’m taking V-d supplements .... we shall see!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom