Toyota Prius owners

I drive a Jetta TDI (turbo injected diesel, for those who don't know) and get 46 MPG all over driving. It's got a ton of torque and just plain fun to drive. Plus, it is German built with all the quality and performance features. I suppose when I get old enough to not have the desire for a real driving machine, I'll look into an appliance like a Prius or similar. But at almost 70, I'm not there yet.

Thanks for all your posts. Most appreciated. I have jumped onto the Prius Chat and gaining a lot of info there also. I can't wait to get this car. To keep the cost down and after much haggling, we decided on the level 3 trim, but the dealer will have the interior redone in leather to suit our needs. I've noticed on various sites how much bigger the Prius V is over the standard Prius. I'm impressed. Thaks again.

50 mpg? Slackers!

A few years back I was getting +100 mpg * in a mini-van. Six-cylinder, 3.3 Liter - plenty of power for passing.

* OK, that is 100 mpg per person - 5 people on the highway at over 20 mpg. :)

-ERD50

I have a 2009 Prius. If all I do is city driving then I get about 42 mpg. If I do all highway driving I get 50 mpg. I do a mix of both so my regular milage is about 44-46 mpg. I don't do anything special in my driving technique

I have a 2006, with over 130k miles on it. I get 43-47mpg most of the time. When I'm in lots of traffic, I tend to try to give myself enough room so I don't have to gas/brake/gas/break too often, and try to coast more, which can be quite hard to do in CA.

Did have problems with a water pump at some point, a headlight issue specific to my year prius, and some of the buttons on my steering wheel no longer work, unless I'm in the middle of a turn.

I love the hatchback, you can fit amazing amounts of stuff into it. I use the bluetooth for handsfree cell phone calls, and even though my nav system is really out of date, I still use it pretty frequently.

I drive a Jetta TDI (turbo injected diesel, for those who don't know) and get 46 MPG all over driving. It's got a ton of torque and just plain fun to drive. Plus, it is German built with all the quality and performance features. I suppose when I get old enough to not have the desire for a real driving machine, I'll look into an appliance like a Prius or similar. But at almost 70, I'm not there yet.
We bought hybrids for lower emissions as well as higher mpg. Compared with the Prius, the Jetta TDI is somewhat less stingy with a gallon of fuel and emits roughly twenty times more nitrous oxide, almost three times more hydrocarbons, and twice as much carbon monoxide, even though it's wildly clean by historic diesel standards.

If you're not concerned with emissions, the TDI is a mpg contender.

And I'll take Toyota quality and reliability over VW any day. Don't take my word for it, check CR or whatever resource you like.

YMMV

Last edited:
My car is better than your car, (continued)

My hybrid pulls my camper and seats five, but only get 36 MPG. :(

Attachments

• IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom