Travel hopes 2021

Answering myself. Again. LoL.

It has been very fulfilling to book the flights to Germany, and now we are counting down to October 2. We had to expand to 20 days total. So sad. :D

The plan really came together with the help of two friends, and our oldest (all live there). There are multiple routes strung together with an itinerary and maps in google accounts. It should play out as a few auto excursions and train rides, with accomodations in between.

Fingers are crossed.

Heard that Munich, or maybe all of Bavaria, not only requires masks in many indoor venues but requires FFP2 masks, not just regular cloth or surgical masks.

From an article I just read:
Beginning Sunday, Sept. 12, only vaccinated visitors will be allowed to visit for vacation, the French embassy confirmed Friday.
I think the current status for vaccinated travelers remains - proof of vaccine, no quarantine or neg COVID test required.

This gives DH and me a better option as we can travel to France first and spend some time there before going into the Netherlands which now has an onerous 10 quarantine on vaccinated travelers from the US in addition to a negative COVID test required.

It seems quite a few countries now, and probably more to follow, are realizing that there's not much difference between a vaccinated person and a non-vaccinated person with respect to how likely they are to carry and spread the virus. I don't have specifics, but it almost seems likelihood of being a spreader is increased in a vaccinated person because they're probably going to have more days where they're not knocked on their a**, and unable to get out. My prediction is that negative tests will be required to travel more often as we go into the fall and winter, irrespective of vaccination status.

10 day quarantine seems extreme. A series of tests would do as well, but I don't suppose that's managable (they'd need to hunt you down if you didn't do your follow-on tests).

Last edited:
It looks like most EU countries are making a huge distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers and severely restricting the latter.

Various studies indicate that a vaccinated person is a) much less likely to become infected, b) if they do is contagious for a much briefer period as they clear the virus quickly, and c) in general much less likely to spread COVID outside of the household.

Regardless I’m fine with a negative COVID test shortly before arrival.

Last edited:
Interesting that The Netherlands have become more restrictive of Americans, when supposedly their mask compliance is supposedly poor.

I'm in France now and masks are expected whenever you step inside any place. Lot of places also have sanitizer at the entrance and I've been told at least once to use it.

But it was raining in the morning and in the last afternoon, the rain stopped and people were packed into narrow alleys, milling around.

Fortunately it's outside but some of these covered arcades and porticoes, I don't know if air really circulates unless there's a strong wind.

It's road trip time again. On Tuesday, I will depart Northwestern Pennsylvania to head northeast for a week.

First stop is Watkins Glen, NY. Then on to Lake Placid, NY.

From there, it's over to Acadia National Park, Maine for 3 nights. I have already reserved my time atop Cadillac Mountain. Twice in fact... once in the morning and once the next day in the afternoon. I figured I'd do that in case of bad weather on one day and/or if I feel like experiencing different sunlight while up there. I'm not adventurous enough to get up before dawn to witness the sunrise, however. 10:00 am is fine for me.

Then on the way home, I'll stop in Cooperstown, NY to see the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I'll be driving the Ram pickup, going solo and avoiding people where I can.

Interesting that The Netherlands have become more restrictive of Americans, when supposedly their mask compliance is supposedly poor.

I'm in France now and masks are expected whenever you step inside any place. Lot of places also have sanitizer at the entrance and I've been told at least once to use it.

But it was raining in the morning and in the last afternoon, the rain stopped and people were packed into narrow alleys, milling around.

Fortunately it's outside but some of these covered arcades and porticoes, I don't know if air really circulates unless there's a strong wind.
Yes, having family in AMS I was disappointed at the 10 day quarantine for vaccinated people from the US. It is actually cut in half if you present another COVID neg test at the 5 day mark. But the whole logistics of having a place to go to quarantine even for 5 days is just impossible.

Family says that they would be happy to come visit us in France instead. They love France!

Update from Prague, its nice but crowded mostly from European's. Masking is random, I get a little nervous around all the unmasked kids, but it seems very normal here. Michelin star restaurants are booked on the weekend except for lunch. We head to Vienna tomorrow by train, no new restrictions, just need a vaccine CDC card for going out. Weather is perfect, except in a few days it will rain in Munich. We met a couple who got very frustrated using the Abbot lab remote test and had to go get a PCR locally. The wait was too much for them on the phone. I will see if it works in a few days before we head home through UK.

Heard that Munich, or maybe all of Bavaria, not only requires masks in many indoor venues but requires FFP2 masks, not just regular cloth or surgical masks.
Good to know, thanks!

We're in daily contact with our friends and son who live there. Our friends are physicians and have easy access to whatever PPE we'll need along the way.

It is growing more exciting each day, reading about the developments in Germany and surrounding countries.

My son is recording a detailed itinerary, with notes about cancellation policies. So, even if we needed to cancel Munich, it can be done, with an adjustment to go elsewhere. Even a large change to the plan would not bother us much. There are other countries we could easily travel to.

I do understand that Covid greatly troubles the average U.S. traveller.

I haven't been to a lot of places in Germany but I wouldn't skip Munich at all.

Especially if you like natural beauty like the Alps which are relatively nearby.

Though depending on the time of the year, it might be tough to visit the mountains but there are tour operators who will drive you to castles and to Zugspitze and possibly nearby alpine villages.

Update from Prague, its nice but crowded mostly from European's. Masking is random, I get a little nervous around all the unmasked kids, but it seems very normal here. Michelin star restaurants are booked on the weekend except for lunch. We head to Vienna tomorrow by train, no new restrictions, just need a vaccine CDC card for going out. Weather is perfect, except in a few days it will rain in Munich. We met a couple who got very frustrated using the Abbot lab remote test and had to go get a PCR locally. The wait was too much for them on the phone. I will see if it works in a few days before we head home through UK.

Nice to hear a report from someone on the ground. Sounds pretty good to be there. :flowers:

Well DB told me the Netherlands cancels their quarantine requirement for vaccinated travelers from the US effective tomorrow. That policy lasted for a whole 12 days!

Unfortunately DB got caught in it due to returning from a brief business trip to NY last week. He was going to do 5 days then test, but unfortunately the Netherlands also stopped providing the free tests and it costs €190!!!! for a test. Crazy. So he decided to just wait until tomorrow when the quarantine policy is no longer in effect.

What a mess!

Oh, and the US is finally dropping their quarantine policy for non-US citizen/resident vaccinated travelers from several countries/regions including the UK and EU in Nov. I hope that means Nov 1.

I haven't been to a lot of places in Germany but I wouldn't skip Munich at all.

Especially if you like natural beauty like the Alps which are relatively nearby.

Though depending on the time of the year, it might be tough to visit the mountains but there are tour operators who will drive you to castles and to Zugspitze and possibly nearby alpine villages.
What I meant was that we can skip any of the planned waypoints without difficulty. We have the masks now, too, and can get anything required while there through our connections in the country.

We have stops near the Alps, too.

This is the site for digital registration before entering Germany:
https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 34
What I meant was that we can skip any of the planned waypoints without difficulty. We have the masks now, too, and can get anything required while there through our connections in the country.

We have stops near the Alps, too.

This is the site for digital registration before entering Germany:
https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/

I probably missed a post, but make sure you have a KN95, FPP2 or N95 mas while travelling in Bavaria. If you are familiar with Germany, you probably knew this already.

Too bad the trip doesn't include Dresden. We lived there from 1998-2000. It's a beautiful city.

Cheers,
Big-Papa

Last edited:
Too bad the trip doesn't include Dresden. We lived there from 1998-2000. It's a beautiful city.

Cheers,
Big-Papa

Just curious. Since much of Dresden was destroyed during WWII, has it been rebuilt to its old charm or is there a fair amount of the old city still remaining? I went through Cologne as a teen (ca 1964) and saw the beautiful gothic cathedral which was damaged but survived the allied bombing during WWII. The church was repaired by the time I saw it and it was stunning. IIRC the remainder of the city was essentially "new" by the time I saw it.

Just curious. Since much of Dresden was destroyed during WWII, has it been rebuilt to its old charm or is there a fair amount of the old city still remaining? I went through Cologne as a teen (ca 1964) and saw the beautiful gothic cathedral which was damaged but survived the allied bombing during WWII. The church was repaired by the time I saw it and it was stunning. IIRC the remainder of the city was essentially "new" by the time I saw it.

When we were in Cologne , the guide told us that people in Cologne felt that rebuilding should be modern, unlike some other cities that were bombed out, where they mostly (all ?) rebuilt so it looked like it was before.

They're rebuilding the Notre Dame in Paris to old Gothic standards, not make it modern.

I saw a travel show about cities along the Rhine river, both German and French.

They visited Strasbourg, where they showed these craftsman carving stones for a cathedral renovation.

All done by hand and the skills are passed down from master to apprentice, generation to generation. But I think they mentioned that it could be a lost art, because they may not always have people interested in becoming apprentices in a skill that has limited applications.

Or maybe, the people who have these skills should be video taped imparting their skills. Even if future artisans can't take advantage, it would be of historical interest at least.

the people who have these skills should be video taped imparting their skills.

Wow, how did you learn to carve such authentic looking medieval gargoyles?

Well, there was this YouTube ...

How the world has changed.

Well my recollection is that they weren't taking a hammer and chisel to stone.

They had some kind of mold and they were building blocks with the carvings on one face so it was a more repeatable process than just manually sculpting or chiseling.

I probably missed a post, but make sure you have a KN95, FPP2 or N95 mas while travelling in Bavaria. If you are familiar with Germany, you probably knew this already.
Definitely. Based on an earlier comment, I mentioned the mask requirements to my travel angel and a bunch showed up the next day.

The plan is to transition from end of week#2--Lake Constanz (Baden-Wuerttemberg) to the Garmisch area (Bavarian alps), and then to Munich for two nights. Becoming more familar with the state boundaries as liftoff approaches!

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 22
In the first plan we had a Munich - Prague - Dresden leg. It just proved to be too much. I do see Dresden is still in the option column, though.

As I understand it, parts of Dresden are not rebuilt, and that is the attraction.

Now that you bring it up, why should we be limited by someone needing to return for a job? Add a week? Just kidding, there are other reasons we have for returning on time.

In the first plan we had a Munich - Prague - Dresden leg. It just proved to be too much. I do see Dresden is still in the option column, though.

As I understand it, parts of Dresden are not rebuilt, and that is the attraction.

Now that you bring it up, why should we be limited by someone needing to return for a job? Add a week? Just kidding, there are other reasons we have for returning on time.

I spent a lot of time working in Dresden between 2015 and 2020 and it is definitely one of my favorite cities in Europe. The main square with the Frauenkirche is a mixture of the old (that escaped bombing in WWII) and the new (such as the rebuilt Frauenkirche church). However they were building a lot more new structures in the square when I was last there, so it may be changing. If you are ever able to get there in December they have a big Winter market whose highlight is the Stollen parade (the first Saturday of December, I seem to recall?). We saw the world's largest stollen which was between 3 and 4 tonnes in the parade!

Back
Top Bottom