Travel hopes 2021

Anyone traveled to Paris lately? Ive a trip scheduled over Christmas and have mixed thoughts about going until the testing mess is over. While I want to go the thought of getting stuck in quarantine is troubling. We have all the shots and booked the trip but can delay if necessary. Opinions?

{shudder}

The idea of being confined to a hotel room for up to two weeks and only having room service for food is so utterly appalling to me that I would never under any circumstance put myself in a situation where it could even possibly be required.

My nephew and his wife are currently quarantined for 14 days in a large resort in Puerta Vallarta. She had cold symptoms about day 5 of their vacation and tested positive for COVID. Her husband tested negative but is presumed positive. They wore cloth masks on the planes and in the airports. :facepalm:

The resort moved them to a quarantine building and their room has a great view of the water and a balcony. Room service food is good and the room itself is free of charge.

Last edited:
Anyone traveled to Paris lately? Ive a trip scheduled over Christmas and have mixed thoughts about going until the testing mess is over. While I want to go the thought of getting stuck in quarantine is troubling. We have all the shots and booked the trip but can delay if necessary. Opinions?

I was there over the summer.

Returned though from Barcelona. But I got my test done in France because my stay in Barcelona was only two nights.

Never tested positive (did 3 European trips over the summer, testing before leaving even though not required and testing before returning, which is required).

Didn't really think about having to stay longer if I did test positive.

Planned the trips before delta so would have been okay with vaccination if delta never came along.

But it was from late June to mid September for these trips so delta was spreading all throughout this time.

We are going to Paris over Christmas & New Years. Feeling much better about things. The Health Pass just changed today. We applied for the Pass Sanitare almost a month ago. No movement on it. Today they changed it so that you can go to a pharmacy once you are on the ground in France. Show your passport & CDC card. Boom....QR code. You will need to 72 hour test to get back in the US. I believe there are lots of tests available in Paris.

Bonne Chance

We went to France in August and will go again in two weeks. The testing risk to re-enter the US is the problem, of course. Getting the test is easy. Since we are staying at our own place, waiting out a quarantine would be a blessing in disguise. Thinking about getting a booster using a "work for a manufacturer" exemption.

We are going to Paris over Christmas & New Years. Feeling much better about things. The Health Pass just changed today. We applied for the Pass Sanitare almost a month ago. No movement on it. Today they changed it so that you can go to a pharmacy once you are on the ground in France. Show your passport & CDC card. Boom....QR code. You will need to 72 hour test to get back in the US. I believe there are lots of tests available in Paris.

Bonne Chance

Heard it will cost 30 Euros.

Probably worth it though just not to have problems.

However, supposedly they're still widely accepting CDC card as proof of vaccination to get into venues.

Bonne Chance

Thanks Scrap. As I understand it you either show the QR code or show your cards. Ive had the shots plus booster and that is noted on my immunization card. I guess the code is just for convience? Ill explore Pass Sanitate site. I assume it is relatively easy to get a test in Paris?

As I understand it bigger cities are accepting the CDC card pretty widely. The smaller cities have not seen many of the CDC cards so are confused. Sometimes declined. TGV train has a requirement for a health pass. We are going to Strasbourg for a couple days. Hoping we don't get caught up in that. We have an hour transfer from Eurostar to TGV. Which includes changing train stations (10 mins). But no time for a CDC card transfer to a health pass. Will do it in Strasbourg

I was in France last month. It took me a while to get the Pass Sanitaire. I found nagging worked. They didn’t respond until I went online and contacted them after six weeks of no response! The pass worked well once I got it.

My 2 best friends and just booked Thanksgiving week in a oceanfront condo in Ocean City, Maryland. I’m retired but they both still work long and hard. So they both got the week off and we are just going to wing it in the off season of the beach. I’ve known them both for over 50 years and we always have a good time. Fingers crossed for decent weather so we can enjoy the balcony and walk on the beach some in sweatshirts.

International travel - what's open, what's required ?

If you are planning on taking a trip to another country, you may have encountered rules that are unclear and change frequently.

Is a vaccination enough?, which vaccine. Do I need a PCR test or will a rapid antigen test suffice and when should it be taken?, do you have to quarantine on arrival?

I came across this site that seems to have it together, travel rules from pretty much any country to another country and its presented in an easy to digest format.

https://apply.joinsherpa.com/map

No affiliation with the company, just wanted to share it with the ER members.

Looks good and seems to be accurate. I like the little switch to change the map depending on whether you're vaccinated or not. Thanks for posting.

If you are planning on taking a trip to another country, you may have encountered rules that are unclear and change frequently.

Is a vaccination enough?, which vaccine. Do I need a PCR test or will a rapid antigen test suffice and when should it be taken?, do you have to quarantine on arrival?

I came across this site that seems to have it together, travel rules from pretty much any country to another country and its presented in an easy to digest format.

https://apply.joinsherpa.com/map

No affiliation with the company, just wanted to share it with the ER members.

Threads merged.

It depends on the country. Rules can also change at any given time. I try to find the official government site that explains the requirements. This way I know the current requirements.

At a minimum, you’ll most likely need to be vaccinated, but you want to double-check that your vaccine is accepted (J&J might not be).

Some countries require a negative covid test. Usually a PCR test that was taken 72 hours before. If that’s the case, make sure you understand what “before” means. Is it before check-in or arrival. And what if you’re transiting through another country? Do you have to meet their requirements?

When I travelled to Europe last August, I had a test which nobody asked to see. All I needed was proof of vaccination for check-in. But even though nobody asked to see the covid test, it was a requirement, so there could have been issues if I didn’t have it. When flying back to the US, I needed to show a negative covid test at the departing airport.

I’ll be happy when the covid test requirement is dropped. That’s the biggest hurdle for traveling internationally.

For those who downloaded the California proof of vaccine QR code, they work in Canada. Restaurant patrons are required to show proof of vaccination for indoor dining. Tonight we went out and the restaurant hostess was able to scan my QR code from the State of California containing my vaccination status.

We simply showed them our cards.

IMO, the only site to trust is the one run by the country you're visiting.

According to news reports the Netherlands have locked down again due to rising Covid rates.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ckdown-in-netherlands-amid-record-covid-cases

The restrictions, announced by the caretaker prime minister, Mark Rutte, on Friday, will last at least three weeks and include the closure of bars, restaurants and essential shops from 8pm, with non-essential retail and services such as hairdressers to close at 6pm.
Gatherings at home would be limited to a maximum of four guests, all amateur and professional sporting events must be held behind closed doors, and home working was advised except in “absolutely unavoidable” circumstances, Rutte said.
Austria has instituted more restrictions on non vaccinated people in certain provinces.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ions-of-unvaccinated-people-in-covid-lockdown
Austria is to introduce a lockdown for unvaccinated people in two of Europe’s worst-hit coronavirus regions from Monday and could extend it across the country, the chancellor, Alexander Schallenberg, has said.
“Unvaccinated people will only be allowed to leave their flats to go to work, for food shopping or when they need to stretch their legs,” he said.

Last edited:
There's not much travel time left in 2021.

I think in February or March, there will start to be signs of what travel restrictions and requirements will be in place for most of 2022.

Some optimists said we will have a little winter surge and then thereafter no more big waves because enough people will be vaccinated or immune from infection.

Human nature seems to be inclined towards proclaiming "mission accomplished" sooner than later.

The dells with the kiddos to swim and have some fun indoors to wrap up our 2021 travel. Enjoyed road trips to Smoky Mtns, up north to 'the Lodge', over to UP Michigan and Mackinac Island, and out west a bit to the Badlands, Mt Rushmore and Black Hills SD. I went on a solo trip with my daughter to Tucson AZ to meetup with my sister earlier in the year and all was fine. Looks like I spent about $15k on travel in 2021, up significantly from 2020 when we barely went anywhere. DW probably spent another $1,000 contributing to those trips but I don't include her spending nor do I see it in the books as she keeps that all close to her vest and her own personal budget as she prefers.

2022 should include a trip to either San Diego, or Sarasota, a possible ski trip out west, a road trip to Yellowstone, and likely Mackinac Island and the lodge again.

I’ll be happy when the covid test requirement is dropped. That’s the biggest hurdle for traveling internationally.

This is what has seemed so "unfair" to me. Demanding a test less than 72 hours before when you have no hold over the testing service. You pay your money, take the test - and then wait. IF they get it done, you're good. If they don't, you have no recourse. Just increasing the time to 96 hours would be a step in the right direction. Better yet - drop the requirement and rely on vaccination records. YMMV

This is what has seemed so "unfair" to me. Demanding a test less than 72 hours before when you have no hold over the testing service. You pay your money, take the test - and then wait. IF they get it done, you're good. If they don't, you have no recourse. Just increasing the time to 96 hours would be a step in the right direction. Better yet - drop the requirement and rely on vaccination records. YMMV

You're talking about the 3 day test before returning to the US?

Lot of pharmacies in Europe offer quick antigen tests and they return the results to you the same day, often within the hour.

For those who already applied for the Pass Sanitaire QR code but are waiting, we learned they don’t inform you that you’ve been approved. You have to log back in and see if it’s there for you. If not, nudge them. Regardless, we’re in France now and Covid tests seem available at Pharmacies and major airports. For example, Bordeaux airport is providing test 7 days/week.

Lot of pharmacies in Europe offer quick antigen tests and they return the results to you the same day, often within the hour.
Problem is that for us departing Lufthansa from Frankfurt, they would not accept the pharmacy test. Only the Centogene test from an approved facility would get us on the plane.

In Germany there where kiosks in tourist area where you could get a test if not vaccinated. Our experience is not applicable to other countries and what may change with time. You have to dig through official sites to find out what is required when you depart, arrive, etc.

Lufthansa sent us notices in email and text about the requirements maybe 4 days before departure. That notice caused my heart to drop! We knew about it, but forgot the detail while traveling.

Some countries require PCR negative test to enter. Does US require PCR to enter or antigen test is fine?

Back
Top Bottom