Travel hopes for 2022

What's the insurance situation though?

My credit card will provide primary insurance if I refuse CDW.

But I don't know if they would include Turo so what do they do, charge a large deposit against your card in case of damage?

From what I have found out with my limited research, credit card "insurance" will NOT cover this arrangement. Why? It's a car sharing service and not a rental service. *SOME* car insurance policies MAY cover it, but YMMV. I have elected to use the add on service which is pricey (usually 100% of the daily rental rate) but the coverage is pretty good (such as $750K liability coverage) and it's still WAY cheaper than a traditional rental (in my limited experience).

As an example, I looked at rental cars on Expedia/Travelocity for my upcoming trip and the absolute cheapest car (no insurance add-ons) is $642 all in. The Turo rental I have is $483 all in (with highest level of insurance added in). Maybe not a HUGE savings, but it's enough for me to use the app. And as I mentioned, I have had great customer service with the car "hosts" which I have had a hard time getting with a traditional service.

Oh, and no extra deposit on the car. The hosts are required to insure the cars and looking at the /reddit thread about it, most hosts also add on the insurance that is available through Turo.

After having 3 commercial trips canceled, I have slipped in a birding trip with my niece to SW Florida at the beginning of April. There seemed to be plenty of availability on flights, and we are renting a reasonable house, but just one week later, the quoted price of everything seemed to DOUBLE. I would have thought that earlier in Florida would cost more, but the first week in April was MUCH cheaper than the second.

We'll look for the burrowing owl colonies on Cape Coral our first night. Anybody know of a good open-air seafood restaurant (good Appalachicola oysters!) with a water (not necessarily Gulf) view?

it was that close....a round trip San Francisco to Dublin in September bumped down to $4600 (2 Business Class). When I opened up the alert & clicked on the fare it was back up to $8k Ohh, well...I have lots of alerts & airports on Google flights for September (ish)

A but just one week later, the quoted price of everything seemed to DOUBLE. I would have thought that earlier in Florida would cost more, but the first week in April was MUCH cheaper than the second.

Have you checked when Easter occurs this year?

From what I have found out with my limited research, credit card "insurance" will NOT cover this arrangement. Why? It's a car sharing service and not a rental service. *SOME* car insurance policies MAY cover it, but YMMV. I have elected to use the add on service which is pricey (usually 100% of the daily rental rate) but the coverage is pretty good (such as $750K liability coverage) and it's still WAY cheaper than a traditional rental (in my limited experience).

As an example, I looked at rental cars on Expedia/Travelocity for my upcoming trip and the absolute cheapest car (no insurance add-ons) is $642 all in. The Turo rental I have is $483 all in (with highest level of insurance added in). Maybe not a HUGE savings, but it's enough for me to use the app. And as I mentioned, I have had great customer service with the car "hosts" which I have had a hard time getting with a traditional service.

Oh, and no extra deposit on the car. The hosts are required to insure the cars and looking at the /reddit thread about it, most hosts also add on the insurance that is available through Turo.

When I used Kayak, Turo options showed up for Hawaii.

But when I searched Kayak for rentals in Europe, they did not, so I guess Turo is US only.

it was that close....a round trip San Francisco to Dublin in September bumped down to $4600 (2 Business Class). When I opened up the alert & clicked on the fare it was back up to $8k Ohh, well...I have lots of alerts & airports on Google flights for September (ish)

Yeah, the $4,600 sounds ballpark right now. When I tried to book one-way to LHR by breaking it up into 2 segments (MCI-ORD and ORD-LHR) so I had a better choice of layover times, the ORD-LHR segment went to $8,000. Umm, no.:facepalm:

Last year around this time, I was able to book several good business class fares to Europe, including one just under $2000 to Spain from the West Coast.

Well they opened up to the US for the first time in over a year but the tourist volume overall wasn't that great from the US or maybe not even from within the EU.

This year, there were some low fares a couple of months ago but they haven't dropped back since, they've been going up, up and up.

There are predictions of European tourism rebounding to 2019 levels, which may have been at or near all-time highs.

Last year around this time, I was able to book several good business class fares to Europe, including one just under $2000 to Spain from the West Coast.

Well they opened up to the US for the first time in over a year but the tourist volume overall wasn't that great from the US or maybe not even from within the EU.

This year, there were some low fares a couple of months ago but they haven't dropped back since, they've been going up, up and up.

There are predictions of European tourism rebounding to 2019 levels, which may have been at or near all-time highs.

The costs of travel is getting pretty darn expensive. We are thinking of delaying our next "beach" trip until this wanderlust that a lot of people are having settles down some. Thankfully, we have gotten quite a bit of travel in over the last couple of years, so no we have no problems hanging out at "ExFlyBoy5 Pool and Resort" for a while and avoiding the madness. Plus, we do have a trip in May to Alaska (booked back in January, thank goodness!) so that should keep us satisfied for a little while.

Edit: I was curious how much the flight costs now for our Alaska trip. I purchased in early January and paid $1335 (first class). Today, the same tickets cost $3640. That is a 172% price increase in less than 2 months.

Last edited:
Some people haven't resumed their pre-pandemic travel patterns.

They deferred to 2021 and then 2022.

There's pent-up demand probably driving the higher prices.

But some people may not have done some serious travel since 2019 so it's been a long wait.

There's been "hope" (as this and the Travel Hopes for 2021 thread showed) that the worst of the pandemic would be over by 2021, then by 2022.

But we keep having these waves which seem to reset the return to normal, at least for travel.

OTOH, some people may be thinking to travel while they're in good health, more active.

That was the case even before the pandemic with some people but now with risks to mortality or long-term health issues, some people may try to travel while they can while others will fall on the side of becoming more risk-averse.

I'm booked for Mexico in February. Staying in Playa del Carmen for a week for scuba diving and relaxation.

Mexico trip went very smoothly. Three of us went (friend, myself, and my sister). We had a lot of fun doing some easy dives with my sister the first few days (I just finished training her in January, so these were her first dives post certification) and ate a bunch of good food. The last few days my friend and I did some cave diving and a photoshoot with Natalie Gibb (a local cave diving instructor and underwater photographer in Tulum).

Covid test was 500 pesos and had the results in about 15 minutes using a place right in the middle of the street in PDC.

Had a rental car as we were planning on traveling around a bit (between going to the Tulum ruins, diving in various areas, etc.). Only cost me ~$300 for the 6 days we had it, so that was pretty affordable.

Obligatory diving pics from the trip attached.

Attachments

• DSC06191.jpg
    DSC06191.jpg
    638 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC06246.jpg
    DSC06246.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 38
Wow, those diving pics are amazing, Exnavynuke! I can see the appeal, moving around in another world.

We are heading back to Europe around August through September this year. Business class fares are not dropping yet like last year but airlines should be adding more flights soon as restrictions are lifted.

We are heading back to Europe around August through September this year. Business class fares are not dropping yet like last year but airlines should be adding more flights soon as restrictions are lifted.

I bought a couple of biz class fares for spring and late spring.

Higher than any I paid last year.

I've been tracking a couple of dozen flights. The price trend is upwards.

There are predictions that European tourism levels may return to those from 2019, which would account for the high fares, though I think coach fares aren't suppose to be high compared to historical levels.

Finalizing a trip to Newfoundland this summer. I am booking the flight on points, but, they have been significantly devalued to the point where it was only a very small premium to get business class seats, even though it is only a 2 1/2 hour flight.

I bought a couple of biz class fares for spring and late spring.

Higher than any I paid last year.

I've been tracking a couple of dozen flights. The price trend is upwards.

There are predictions that European tourism levels may return to those from 2019, which would account for the high fares, though I think coach fares aren't suppose to be high compared to historical levels.

The lowest business class from LAX to GVA that I have found so far is $2938 return each on SAS. That is about what we paid for our last minute booking in November/December 2021 on Air France Business Class for the same route.

I'm not complaining about canceling my cruise to the Baltics and St. Petersburg on June 2nd. We've been there before anyway.

With the DW facing major back surgery, we may have to get a credit on our flight into London. That pains me a little because we scored tickets half the normal price.

But if the trip happens, Plan B will be thru Milan to Lake Como and The Alps--where there are few people.

The lowest business class from LAX to GVA that I have found so far is $2938 return each on SAS. That is about what we paid for our last minute booking in November/December 2021 on Air France Business Class for the same route.

How long are those SAS flights though. Do they connect through Stockholm?

I've seen some lower fares on SAS and Turkish Air Lines but those are around 20 hours or more each way from the West Coast, instead of the 11-16 hours most trans-Atlantic routes take from SFO or LAX.

I am not a big fan of gift cards since they lock people into one supplier, but, this may be of interest to SW fans.

I had an email from Costco today that offered a $500 SW Airline gift card for $450.
Southwest Airlines $500 eGift Card, delivered via email
Item 1588972
Your Price
449.99$
 Delivered Via Email

Last edited:

I've seen some lower fares on SAS and Turkish Air Lines but those are around 20 hours or more each way from the West Coast, instead of the 11-16 hours most trans-Atlantic routes take from SFO or LAX.

I'd wanna be sedated for that long a trip. Ugh.

Going to New Hampshire next month to visit daughters family, 4 grandsons, and the youngest I have not yet seen is going on 2 yo. Looking forward to the visit but not the getting there and back.

We flew LAX- ARN (Stockholm) & CPH-LAX in 2017. IIRC the flight was 11 hours give or take. Just looked on Google flights. I'm watching a Copenhagen flight. 10:45 one way & 11:15 back. I loved SAS. Staff was great & I liked the seats (Business Class)

Most SAS flights connect through hubs in Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen. CPH is the largest hub

We flew LAX- ARN (Stockholm) & CPH-LAX in 2017. IIRC the flight was 11 hours give or take. Just looked on Google flights. I'm watching a Copenhagen flight. 10:45 one way & 11:15 back. I loved SAS. Staff was great & I liked the seats (Business Class)

Most SAS flights connect through hubs in Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen. CPH is the largest hub

Never flown SAS but I remember some of them showing up for awards on United.

It wasn't the flight times which were so long, it was long connection times.

For instance:

https://www.google.com/travel/fligh...YIBCwj___________8BQAFIAZgBAQ&tfu=EgYIARABGAA

That's SFO-MXP in May. Shortest SAS flight is 17:50, with a 5 hour 5 minute layover in CPH.

I think the longest I've had to do is 4 or 4.5 hours.

The other SAS flights are just over 33 hours and just under 35 hours!

Funny thing is, the ones with the longer layovers are the ones which cost more, at least in economy.

I guess you could leave your luggage and look around Copenhagen a bit. Never been and it is on my bucket list.

The 35 hour flight is 8:45 in CPH and 11:40 in Oslo. That one you can look around CPH for a few hours but in Oslo, you arrive at 10 PM local time so sleep and then check in.

It wasn't the flight times which were so long, it was long connection times.

<snip>
Funny thing is, the ones with the longer layovers are the ones which cost more, at least in economy.

I prefer longer (3+-hour layovers) in the connecting airports if the next flight is mission-critical. Typically I connect in ORD and if I'm going to Europe I want to be darn sure I'll make the transatlantic. If I get to Europe and miss a connection over there, not as much of a problem since I'm close to my destination. In late 2018 I flew to Edinburgh with 5-hour layovers each way. I loved the Polaris Club in ORD so much I was happy to hang out there!

My last booking was an exercise in frustration because so many airlines were pushing short connections to and from LHR- this was Business Class. I know that if you miss your connection they "fix" it eventually, but who wants to be in that position? In 2019 AA changed my flight out of Mexico, with a carefully-chosen 2+-hour connection in DFW, to one leaving later with an hour in DFW, connecting to the last flight to my home airport that night. I asked about staying overnight in DFW and flying home the next day. Well, that would be a "voluntary change" and would cost me.

So- I managed to get to the Cabo airport in time to stand by and get an earlier flight to DFW. The flight I was SUPPOSED to take left late (surprise, surprise) and, given the time it took me to get through Customs and Immigration I would have missed my connection spent the night at DFW at the airline's expense.:rolleyes:

The SAS flight durations vary from 14.5 hours to 21 hours (including the layover). They fly from LAX to Copenhagen. I'm hoping Virgin, Swiss, Lufthansa, and others restore their schedules. I have flown SAS business class many times but in the 90's. They are pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom