Traveling around USA, need a Cell phone for emergencies only

I highly recommend AT&T Prepaid. Boyfriend and I currently share a cell phone, but he has a prepaid one as a just in case for the rare occasions we aren't together.

With AT&T, it's $2 for the day you choose to use it, and for that you get unlimited minutes and texts, with no roaming or long distance charges.

He usually only charges it at $10, which expires after 30 days if we don't use it, but if you do $25 pre-charged, it lasts three months, and $100 pre-charged is good for the whole year.

The network for AT&T is fabulous, and with no roaming charges or anything, it sounds very good for what you're looking for. You can use an old phone or buy one of theirs. We chose to buy one of theirs for $25.

The OP could look at Consumer Cellular offerings, no contracts. Their coverage looks exactly like Verizon cellular.

Consumer Cellular uses AT&T's network. They state that you can use any AT&T phone and they provide a SIM card.

I dont have a cell phone but was thinking of acquiring one for an upcoming trip around the USA, something that could be used to call AAA/CAA if the car breaks down.
What would be the cheapest way to go and avoid roaming charges if i did need to use it.
Thanks
AAA has a neat new service for AAA members. You can register your cellphone(s) with AAA and if you break down and call AAA for assistance, they will know immediately know where you are and can direct roadside service to your location without your having to tell them where you are.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've often been in places where I would not be able to tell anyone where I was or how to get to me.

Back
Top Bottom