Treasury Bills On Vanguard

Vincenzo Corleone

Full time employment: Posting here.
Would someone kindly help me make sense of this. I was in the process of using Vanguard's bond ladder tool. The attached photo is a snippet of one of the bonds in the ladder.

The quantity in the example provided is 6, and the price is 99.410156. How are the principal and "net money" amounts calculated? It looks to me the quantity is not 6 but 60. I'm clearly not getting how this works.

Thanks.

Attachments

• T-Bills.jpg
    T-Bills.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Its the shorthand (for lack of a better term) of bond pricing. A price of 100 is actually $1000 per bond. The price here for 6 bonds is 6x $999.xxx=$5964.xxx. The buyer pays the accrued interest to the seller when the bond is purchased (.12 for all 6 bonds in this case) and receives the next coupon payment in full. Buyer has to pay $5964.xxx + .12 in this case. Make sense?

Last edited:
Its the shorthand (for lack of a better term) of bond pricing. A price of 100 is actually $1000 per bond. The price here for 6 bonds is 6x $999.xxx=$5964.xxx. The buyer pays the accrued interest to the seller when the bond is purchased (.12 for all 6 bonds in this case) and receives the next coupon payment in full. Buyer has to pay $5964.xxx + .12 in this case. Make sense?

Yes! Thank you.

I find bond pricing weird.
I did buy a bond one time, wasn't sure until I clicked purchase that it was $10k or $100K :eek:
Didn't buy anymore as too weird..
No need to be afraid. Next time just call the bond desk and they will teach you what you need to know.

Back
Top Bottom