trip cancellation/delay insurance??

Look at Medjet

I travel internationally extensively and lived in Asia for six years so have had my share of sketchy travel.

Look at Medjet for medical evacuation insurance - a full year policy for my wife and I is less than $500 - and covers all travel in that year. It provides for medical evacuations only (not hotels, planes etc)

Our credit card (Chase Sapphire) provides decent travel insurance, and as others have noted we can typically cancel hotels, cars and often airlines pretty close to travel. In the event of an emergency, the credit card covers a lot

We have had 3-4 claims over the years with a number of companies. In short, it is a pain in the ass. Save every receipt and prepare to push past the rejections 2-3 times before you win.

I had booked 4 different flights on a trip to Hawaii with cancellation Insurance

Began experiencing Vertigo and thought it would be prudent to cancel the trip

After having my doctor fill out the forms and I began submitting the paperwork

Found out it wasn't so straightforward to getting a refund

Luckily after months and many phone calls I did get a refund

Because they have the only non-stop flight to a place I frequent I am often forced to use a really cheap A$$ airline of highly questionable integrity (Begins with Allegiant…). Because they don’t have other planes waiting around in case one breaks or is delayed, I get trip insurance through Allianz. I save a lot on the airfare IF their planes can fly that day, but their next flight might be who knows when. The other carriers have multiple hour stops and are about triple the price. I figure having the insurance on top of the cut rate ticket might get me home one day when I would otherwise suffer. Haven’t has to use the insurance yet but it was pretty inexpensive at about $50. I have had big delays and it made me feel better to have a Plan B.

Back
Top Bottom