Trusted Traveler Programs

Long ago I was told that "food" didn't mean commercially sold products in sealed packages, so I've never declared that sort of thing. I once had an agent go through my bag and he completely ignored the three cans of haggis I was bringing home for friends and two packages of Walker's toffee that DW bought.

Bottom line is that I think they get to use their discretion and just don't want to be bothered with normal little things like that.

In theory (and per the rules) having Global Entry means you don't need anything other than your passport to access the benefits. However, we ran into a situation where their systems weren't working properly and they made GE people go into the regular line for customs. If you had the GE card, and could therefore prove you had GE, you could go through the GE line. Now we keep the cards with us as well.

Thanks for posting that, 45.
We never carry our Nexus cards unless traveling to or through Canada, but I can understand that it would be wise to do so.

Long ago I was told that "food" didn't mean commercially sold products in sealed packages, so I've never declared that sort of thing. I once had an agent go through my bag and he completely ignored the three cans of haggis I was bringing home for friends and two packages of Walker's toffee that DW bought.

Bottom line is that I think they get to use their discretion and just don't want to be bothered with normal little things like that.

It’s confusing. I always hear no meat whatsoever and cheese has to meet certain requirements. I’m pretty sure I can’t bring that commercially sealed chorizo in from Spain, but it might can be ordered from companies that import it. So I don’t understand and use an abundance of caution. Of course you can bring in anything, as long as you declare it. They may confiscate it, but you won’t get into trouble as long as you declare it. Yes, they use their discretion - that’s the scary part if you don’t declare. They might put a big fat “smuggler” stamp on your passport that means all future entries subject to search and revoke TT privileges.

Last edited:
When we returned from the UK, the US Customs seized the small bag of dry cat kibble we had been planning to give our cat, who traveled with us. We knew we'd be getting home around midnight, with no stores open to buy food for her.

Yes, the rules could be made clearer.

Declaring things is certainly the best practice, even though it could mean a small delay in your travel plan.

We travel more often than we used to, so I find I have much less inclination to bring anything back. When overseas travel was still a novelty, I had more interest.

The only time I ever got snagged was decades ago. After a trip to Germany I had some bottles of wine in my suitcase. Not enough to be over the limit, but what I didn't realize was that the limit was "per month" and it had been less than 30 days since my last trip when I also brought some wine back. The customs guy decided to play by the rules and I had to pay about five bucks in import duty on it.

Yes, the rules could be made clearer.

Declaring things is certainly the best practice, even though it could mean a small delay in your travel plan.

We travel more often than we used to, so I find I have much less inclination to bring anything back. When overseas travel was still a novelty, I had more interest.

The only time I ever got snagged was decades ago. After a trip to Germany I had some bottles of wine in my suitcase. Not enough to be over the limit, but what I didn't realize was that the limit was "per month" and it had been less than 30 days since my last trip when I also brought some wine back. The customs guy decided to play by the rules and I had to pay about five bucks in import duty on it.
Import duties on wine is only 10%, so there really is no problem bringing back more than the duty free limit - just declare and pay the fee. It still less than buying imported wine in the US.

Of course these days the challenge is to pack it in a way that it can be checked and not damaged.

BTW I never understood that the current limit was per month although I always declare wine. It is probably 48 hours - as that is what applies to the $800 exemption.

Last edited:
We applied for NEXUS via mail in early June. With a charge card number on the application we expected to be charged $50can which would be under $40us.
It was August 1 when a charge of $46.10 showed up on my card for each of us. I thought "pretty bad exchange rate" but I just looked at my card statement and realized they charged us $60can. No big deal but just sharing info.

We've gone on our, late August, 2 week trip to the Canadian Rockies and been back home for 10 days and still no word from NEXUS
We had hoped to do the interview in Calgary on the first or last day in Canada, but now it looks like when the notice finally comes were gonna have to run up to Detroit
A CBSA web page says to expect 35 working days. if you count from the day they charged my card, rather than the day it was mailed, we're not there yet.
I had posted some of this elsewhere under travel but this is an update about the $60can charge and here under Trusted Traveler Programs, where it belongs

I just looked at my card statement and realized they charged us $60can.

I would ask my credit card company about that. As you say, it's not a big deal but the Nexus website (both US and Canadian versions) still shows $50 (US or Canadian) as the application fee.

I would ask my credit card company about that. As you say, it's not a big deal but the Nexus website (both US and Canadian versions) still shows $50 (US or Canadian) as the application fee.

Yeah. It says if you apply online from the US it's $50 USD. If you mail the application to Canada its $50CAD. Perhaps there is a up charge for using a credit card. I'm sure if I inquired they'd have some explanation. It was still under $50USD. So what if they got an extra 10 of their cutesy little dollars.

UK visits

Not sure, but I think you may be confusing different programs.

Global Entry is for travelers coming into the US. Nexus is for travelers coming into either Canada or the US.

For North Americans traveling to Europe, neither of those programs will get you anywhere.

In the case of the UK, there is a similar program called Registered Traveller, and if you are in GE or Nexus you can buy entry into it, provided you meet the other requirements (basically, that means visiting the UK often). The cost is £70 the first year and £50 in subsequent years.
Registered Traveller: faster entry through the UK border

Yes, this is a good program if you visit frequently, but you do need to know how to navigate the immigration area as not very obvious which queue/line to get into. Be aware you can also now use the automatic gates if your USA passport has a chip (and most should) - it is A LOT faster if there is a queue.

Long wait for GE interview in Boston

My wife got approval for Global Entry in 2 days, mine took 6 weeks but we have our interviews in December and with 2 major trips next year we are looking forward to the convenience.

I had a similar experience with approvals. My wife got it in a few days, mine took several weeks. However, scheduling an interview in the Boston area was a problem. There is currently about a three month lead time for an interview. I applied in June hoping to use GE upon our return from Ireland in September. The earliest interview was for mid-October.:( Other areas of the country had next day interviews. Needless to say, I watched as folks with GE skip the long lines upon my return.
Also, GE has re-entry interviews so instead of scheduling a separate interview, you can do the interview when you return from your trip at the airport. Boston doesn't do that either...

Looking for opinions if I have the correct answers to the following questions:

1. Fro Global Entry my wife and I will both need to pay the $100 fee and be interviewed to gain Global Entry, even if we are traveling on the same reservation. Correct?

2. I have the Chase Reserve card and we paid the extra $75 so that my wife also has a card as an authorized user on the same account. I believe that we are only eligible for a single $100 reimbursement from Chase for Global Entry. Is that correct?

1. Fro Global Entry my wife and I will both need to pay the $100 fee and be interviewed to gain Global Entry, even if we are traveling on the same reservation. Correct?

That's right. When you come back to the US, each person has to use the GE kiosk individually and get their own ticket to give the agent.

I don't know about your other question.

That's right. When you come back to the US, each person has to use the GE kiosk individually and get their own ticket to give the agent.

I don't know about your other question.

You are of course correct but I think the question is about the original GE interview. The answer is still yes you need separate applications, clearances and interviews to obtain GE. Then you must go through the GE kiosks separately whenever you use it. It relies on fingerprint and facial recognition so it wouldn’t work if a traveling companion simply skated through.

I don’t know about your chase sapphire card either. Good luck.

Looking for opinions if I have the correct answers to the following questions:

2. I have the Chase Reserve card and we paid the extra $75 so that my wife also has a card as an authorized user on the same account. I believe that we are only eligible for a single $100 reimbursement from Chase for Global Entry. Is that correct?

I just used CSR for GE. Both "card holders" get the $100 credit. So, no cost to either of you. :dance:

Chase Sapphire Reserve (the $450 card) reimbursed our GE application fees. We each had our own card at that time. Have since downsized to one card.

I don’t know about your chase sapphire card either. Good luck.

We applied for NEXUS via mail in early June. With a charge card number on the application we expected to be charged $50can which would be under $40us.
It was August 1 when a charge of $46.10 showed up on my card for each of us. I thought "pretty bad exchange rate" but I just looked at my card statement and realized they charged us $60can. No big deal but just sharing info.

We've gone on our, late August, 2 week trip to the Canadian Rockies and been back home for 10 days and still no word from NEXUS
We had hoped to do the interview in Calgary on the first or last day in Canada, but now it looks like when the notice finally comes were gonna have to run up to Detroit
A CBSA web page says to expect 35 working days. if you count from the day they charged my card, rather than the day it was mailed, we're not there yet.
I had posted some of this elsewhere under travel but this is an update about the $60can charge and here under Trusted Traveler Programs, where it belongs

We have had conditional approval since August 1. I found out by calling an enrollment center. We received no notice. I don't know when we're going back. We may let the damned conditional approval expire. I'm too frustrated with the process. I tried so many times via phone and online to check the status of our application and was unable to find out anything.

Last edited:
It saved us about 30 minutes each way crossing back and forth over the truck crossing in Vancouver a few weeks ago.

DW flew to Toronto this week. She said the Nexus card allowed her to zoom through. We have used in several countries. It works.

There seemed to be a long stretch in between our application and the interview however the cards came quite quickly after the interview. Bottom line...no regrets. We would definitely recommend it based upon your frequency of travel.

Did our interviews for Global Entry at Phoenix airport on Thursday. Got my approval before I got to the parking lot. But my wife's hasn't come through yet, which is kind of annoying. She got a few more questions than I did, but nothing alarming, so I'm not sure what happened there.

We got to use our Global Entry for the first time a couple of weeks ago returning to MSP. We walked off the plane, passed up the long lines and went to a group of 4 or 5 terminals. We scanned our passports, put four fingers on the fingerprint scanner, and got a printed receipt. No wait for luggage as we only had carry on so we were on our way in under 2 minutes!

One warning about TSA PreChek: It must be shown on your boarding pass, so you have to enter your Trusted Traveller number on the airline reservation system. We thought we could just show our Global Entry card at the security check but were denied and had to go through the regular long line. Fortunately it was a slow day so it only added a few minutes.

Brian

One warning about TSA PreChek: It must be shown on your boarding pass, so you have to enter your Trusted Traveller number on the airline reservation system.

And you have to do that with every airline -- they don't talk to each other.

Did our interviews for Global Entry at Phoenix airport on Thursday. Got my approval before I got to the parking lot. But my wife's hasn't come through yet, which is kind of annoying. She got a few more questions than I did, but nothing alarming, so I'm not sure what happened there.

+1.

I had my interview at JFK last week and got card this week. DW applied at same time - nothing yet. Maybe women are suspicious? Security risk? :hide: :LOL:

Hmmm - usually approval is almost immediate after the interview.

If your wife has no police record (not counting parking, speeding tickets), then there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
We got to use our Global Entry for the first time a couple of weeks ago returning to MSP. We walked off the plane, passed up the long lines and went to a group of 4 or 5 terminals. We scanned our passports, put four fingers on the fingerprint scanner, and got a printed receipt. No wait for luggage as we only had carry on so we were on our way in under 2 minutes!

One warning about TSA PreChek: It must be shown on your boarding pass, so you have to enter your Trusted Traveller number on the airline reservation system. We thought we could just show our Global Entry card at the security check but were denied and had to go through the regular long line. Fortunately it was a slow day so it only added a few minutes.

Brian

BTW - even if you did have luggage, once it's picked up, the line customs line for the GE person is super short too.

Yes - you much enter your trusted traveler info with your reservation, and it needs to be there a week before flying. Once the airline has it, they should remember it for future reservations, but double check.

Back
Top Bottom