Trusted Traveler Programs

Our party of six reentered the USA last week. Three have global entry, two (DH and I) used mobile passport app, one had no special entry credentials. Global entry went through quickly, no special entry went through almost as fast, mobile passport took longest (used same lines as people with non-USA passports, which took a lot of questioning, language issues, hand/fingerprint scanning, etc.). We were still through before the baggage finished unloading. I don’t see any reason for us to get GE or even TSA, frankly—I don’t know how much time it would have to save to make it worth it for the two international trips we might take each year: 15 minutes? 30? An hour? I do like that other people get it—it apparently gives them bragging rights and keeps the regular lines less congested :)

Our party of six reentered the USA last week. Three have global entry, two (DH and I) used mobile passport app, one had no special entry credentials. Global entry went through quickly, no special entry went through almost as fast, mobile passport took longest (used same lines as people with non-USA passports, which took a lot of questioning, language issues, hand/fingerprint scanning, etc.). We were still through before the baggage finished unloading. I don’t see any reason for us to get GE or even TSA, frankly—I don’t know how much time it would have to save to make it worth it for the two international trips we might take each year: 15 minutes? 30? An hour? I do like that other people get it—it apparently gives them bragging rights and keeps the regular lines less congested :)
I have been through several times where super long lines and waits for non GE, and well less than a minute for GE. After collecting luggage last time, the exit was so packed that I had to search along the sides of the crowd, which was standing and spread wide blocking views, not moving, and then found the GE sign, pulled luggage along the crowd edge and got in, zippo wait. That last crowd looked like bad news for the wait - delighted to bypass it.

I had been through a customs entry where the process took over an hour, so I figure GE saves me an hour of standing in lines.

We have priority baggage handling so our luggage is usually among the first arriving at baggage claim.

The TSA precheck means we don’t have to take off shoes, unpack backs, remove laptops, phones, liquid items, etc. That’s a big deal for us. Don’t go through the big scanner. Shorter times through security as well. In a busy airport that makes a big difference.

Last edited:

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have GE if I hadn't gotten it as a credit card perk, and I don't think I would renew if I had to pay for it myself. Having precheck doesn't save me any time at all because I still arrive at the airport at the same time I would if I didn't have it. What it does do is shift my time so that instead of spending it standing in line and putting my shoes back on, I spend it sitting at the gate. That's more comfortable and I definitely prefer it, but I don't think I would pay for it. The two times I've used the GE benefit so far, it's been just a 1 minute stop at the kiosk and then straight out to the curb since we carry on our luggage. That's very nice, but even before I had it, I never had a really terrible wait, and now the mobile passport option should usually be quicker.

It's interesting that the airport you were at put the mobile passport folks in the non-US lines. That would seem to defeat the purpose of having the faster mobile option.

It's interesting that the airport you were at put the mobile passport folks in the non-US lines. That would seem to defeat the purpose of having the faster mobile option.

Yes, I thought so too, but at least we tried it. Not sure why there even needs to be a mobile passport option as the regular passport kiosks are superfast now and do the same thing anyway.

Hmmm - usually approval is almost immediate after the interview.

If your wife has no police record (not counting parking, speeding tickets), then there shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, can't imagine there would be any issue for her. They asked her why she was interviewing in Phoenix rather than our home airport, but seemed satisfied with the answer that we're in Phoenix for a couple of months every year, and earliest interview times in Portland were out to March. They had to try her fingerprint collection a couple of times, and I've read on FlyerTalk that that fingerprint issues slows some confirmations.

Guess we'll wait a week to see if it comes through - hopefully not just someone forgetting to hit the confirm button.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have GE if I hadn't gotten it as a credit card perk, and I don't think I would renew if I had to pay for it myself. Having precheck doesn't save me any time at all because I still arrive at the airport at the same time I would if I didn't have it. What it does do is shift my time so that instead of spending it standing in line and putting my shoes back on, I spend it sitting at the gate. That's more comfortable and I definitely prefer it, but I don't think I would pay for it. The two times I've used the GE benefit so far, it's been just a 1 minute stop at the kiosk and then straight out to the curb since we carry on our luggage. That's very nice, but even before I had it, I never had a really terrible wait, and now the mobile passport option should usually be quicker.
Spending it standing in security/customs lines or sitting at the gate?

We spend it relaxing in a club with a nice sparkling wine, mimosa and snacks or light meal. Well worth that break time!

Spending it standing in security/customs lines or sitting at the gate?

We spend it relaxing in a club with a nice sparkling wine, mimosa and snacks or light meal. Well worth that break time!

Yes, we get whisked through a special security line when we fly “better” classes, no need for GE or TSA precheck in that case.

It can just be poor timing. When we pulled up to our arrival gate at JFK a few weeks ago, our pilot announced that there were 380's taxiing in on both sides of us and that we should get to Immigration ASAP. That's 1000+ people all at one time! :eek: That's when when GE is priceless.

It can just be poor timing. When we pulled up to our arrival gate at JFK a few weeks ago, our pilot announced that there were 380's taxiing in on both sides of us and that we should get to Immigration ASAP. That's 1000+ people all at one time! :eek: That's when when GE is priceless.

Exactly! It's amazing how many international flights land at the same time at the busy airports.

I have never seen a special line for first/business class passengers at passport control/customs. You might get a priority security line at some airports, but not customs re-entry to US.

Exactly! It's amazing how many international flights land at the same time at the busy airports.

I have never seen a special line for first/business class passengers at passport control/customs. You might get a priority security line at some airports, but not customs re-entry to US.

Our incoming flight was the only one at O’Hare when we arrived. Just interesting that our companion cleared through the standard lines almost as fast as the GE threesome and much faster than DH and I through MP. We’ll see how we do in March when we go to Greece.

I thought you were talking about enjoying a drink in the lounge before your trip—didn’t realize people did that after clearing immigration and customs too. You must have been changing planes. My mistake.

Last edited:
our companion cleared through the standard lines almost as fast as the GE threesome and much faster than DH and I through MP.

It's great that they were so fortunate, but I really think it was an anomaly.

For example, last time we came back from Europe there were at least 400-500 people waiting to clear immigration and we just bypassed them all and using the GE kiosk we were through in about one minute flat.

Of course, as you noted it depends so much on the airport and the time of day.

My first international flight into Chicago was in 1972–I’ve seen a lot of crowded situations in Terminal 5 here since then. Glad the people who find the time they save using GE valuable can take advantage of it.

We usually only travel once or twice per year. This year, my wife and I went to Europe with her in a wheelchair. We were whisked to the front of every line including security, getting into the plane and having front row seating with extra legroom. No Global Entry was required. We were also treated on a transatlantic cruise to preferred seating meals and went ahead of other passengers waiting to be seated.

My wife's now had a knee replacement and is heading to Las Vegas tomorrow with her daughter. I had to talk her out of taking the wheelchair because she was treated so well with it.

We usually only travel once or twice per year. This year, my wife and I went to Europe with her in a wheelchair. We were whisked to the front of every line including security, getting into the plane and having front row seating with extra legroom. No Global Entry was required. We were also treated on a transatlantic cruise to preferred seating meals and went ahead of other passengers waiting to be seated.

My wife's now had a knee replacement and is heading to Las Vegas tomorrow with her daughter. I had to talk her out of taking the wheelchair because she was treated so well with it.

Dad hadn’t flown for years, and DB was trying to get him to come to Amsterdam for his wedding. Being 83 and not walking well, Dad wasn’t so sure. We suggested he try a shorter trip flying to visit us in our new place. Other DB and wife came with him. Sure enough - it was a piece of cake, wisked through everything, and no probs with making the connection. He was ready to go for the Amsterdam flight then which was direct, so even easier. We joined them there. Of course, once they got to Amsterdam, public transportation was out of the question for someone not steady on their feet, so we took taxis everywhere. Well worth the extra $$.

I’m so glad they make it so easy for elderly and poor mobility folks to fly.

Last edited:
Dad hadn’t flown for years, and DB was trying to get him to come to Amsterdam for his wedding. Being 83 and not walking well, Dad wasn’t so sure. We suggested he try a shorter trip flying to visit us in our new place. Other DB and wife came with him. Sure enough - it was a piece of cake, wisked through everything, and no probs with making the connection. He was ready to go for the Amsterdam flight then which was direct, so even easier. We joined them there. Of course, once they got to Amsterdam, public transportation was out of the question for someone not steady on their feet, so we took taxis everywhere. Well worth the extra $$.

I’m so glad they make it so easy for elderly and poor mobility folks to fly.

The best flight I ever took was from Chicago to Dallas where a dozen or so veterans, many in wheelchairs, and their companions were on a returning Honor Flight (connected from DC). Most upbeat couple of hours for everyone on board. Every other passenger was most supportive and patient during while the heroes boarded, and Southwest played service songs as we left Chicago and then arrived in Dallas. So proud to be there! Truly “trusted travelers”!

Attachments

• 268D7EB4-1D6C-4671-92A9-5D3450F556C0.jpg
    268D7EB4-1D6C-4671-92A9-5D3450F556C0.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 57
Global Entry on Arrival

DW & I completed our Global Entry interviews on our return flight from Costa Rica during a layover at Houston Hobby today. The actual interview process took all of about 5 minutes for each of us. The only challenge was finding a CBP agent to do our interviews. After our flight from CR cleared passport control, all of the CBP agents seemed to vaporize! We finally found a very helpful CBP agent and he rounded up a colleague to take care of our interviews.

Wife and I made appointment for interview at ORD. Started in ATL, and tried to do interviews there, but could not find anyone who actually knew where the office was in the no. International side. Would have had to go back outside and take bus to the international terminal if we wanted to try and do without and appointment.

Got to Chicago and found had to exit terminal 1 and go to Terminal 5 - International Terminal - so we did that and walked in 45 minutes in advance of our appointment and were done in about 10 minutes - same agent interviewed and printed is both. No biggie. Decided to stay (even though our flight departing from T1) in Terminal 5 and visit the AirFrance on our Chase Sapphire Reserve Priority Pass.

Heading back or to T1 for departure to Rome.

The best flight I ever took was from Chicago to Dallas where a dozen or so veterans, many in wheelchairs, and their companions were on a returning Honor Flight (connected from DC). Most upbeat couple of hours for everyone on board. Every other passenger was most supportive and patient during while the heroes boarded, and Southwest played service songs as we left Chicago and then arrived in Dallas. So proud to be there! Truly “trusted travelers”!

My FIL took an Honor Flight a couple years before he died last year. He had a great time. It was a last minute substitution so there was not room for any of our family to help him. It was a lot of walking & I think the first time he used a wheelchair. He talked about this for a long time after. His Honor flight name badge is still hanging over his desk.

Leo is on the left here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/boni0d6kx4esvtw/DSCN0031.JPG?dl=0

Last edited:
Anyone else get this notice? Just got this email about the transition from the old Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) to the Trusted Traveler Program (TTP). They want you to register in the new system if you originally signed up in the old system, haven't checked it out yet but seems legit.

Dear Trusted Traveler Program User,
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is announcing its one year anniversary of launching our cloud-based website, the Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System, on October 1, 2017. The TTP System replaced the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES).
Please take this opportunity to ensure you have migrated your existing GOES account to the new TTP system. CBP is also requesting all members to update their travel documents associated with their current TTP account. Having the proper travel document information in your TTP account will help facilitate your inspection process when using the Global Entry kiosks. ......

Anyone else get this notice? Just got this email about the transition from the old Global Online Enrollment System (GOES) to the Trusted Traveler Program (TTP). They want you to register in the new system if you originally signed up in the old system, haven't checked it out yet but seems legit.

Yes, it's legit. When I got a new passport in March, I remembered that the Customs Agent who did my G.E. interview four years ago had told me I'd have to log in and link the new passport number to my Global Entry account. When I went to do that I found that I had to go through the process of creating a login for this new TTP system.

FWIW, I have heard from others that if you have an interview scheduled for Trusted Traveler, Global Entry etc. during the government shutdown, they are being cancelled. Not so good

FWIW, I have heard from others that if you have an interview scheduled for Trusted Traveler, Global Entry etc. during the government shutdown, they are being cancelled. Not so good

If this is true, I wonder if individuals wanting to complete GE interviews upon returning from international flights are also being denied?

Back
Top Bottom