UHC/AARP Medigap Plans

When DH signed up we didn’t see a gym option unless it was some enhanced or non-standard version of G which we did not select.

Great info, thanks!

Our initial Household discount was 5% in 2020. It went up to 7% in 2023.

I have a spreadsheet that exactly duplicates the individual rates and household discount when they were combined. All I needed to know is the new STANDARD RATES which go up every June for both of us. Then we get hit with a discount drop in August for my wife and November for me.

So, if the STANDARD RATES go up 10% we will both see a 10% increase for June and then a +3% increase starting in those respective months for a total 13% increase for both of us. Based on what some of you are seeing, I’m expecting a 10%+ increase in STANDARD RATES.

The new “Personal Billing” system will probably change my spreadsheet, but no idea how yet. Supposedly we still get a multi-member discount.

In Texas, the UHC/AARP Medigap plans without gym use the age 86 schedule as shown below.

We never saw an option for the gym membership when either of us signed up, but we have and use it. I think it’s called Renew Active.

I’m totally amazed at the differences by year and maybe area! How in the world do UHC/AARP associates keep on top of it?

I don’t think the new rate/discount changes over the last few years benefited the members. When have you seen changes in rate calculations not benefit the company? Never for me.

I have a spreadsheet that exactly duplicates the individual rates and household discount when they were combined. All I needed to know is the new STANDARD RATES which go up every June for both of us. Then we get hit with a discount drop in August for my wife and November for me.

So, if the STANDARD RATES go up 10% we will both see a 10% increase for June and then a +3% increase starting in those respective months for a total 13% increase for both of us. Based on what some of you are seeing, I’m expecting a 10%+ increase in STANDARD RATES.

Here is one set of proposed rate changes for Ohio that were approved. Look under 'base rate' but it may be off a few dollars for EFT.

Attachments

• OH - 2024 Rate Schedule.pdf
    60.1 KB · Views: 21
Boomer was more expensive and in fact was more than what the UHC website had with their higher rate... I asked about it and they said 'we are worth the extra cost'.... REALLY? I think not...
I'd be surprised if the comparison was an exact match if the price was different. I'm no fan of BB (or any commission based outfit), but, like a travel agent, they can sell you something for the same price as if bought directly, and still make some money.

I think you can look the discount up directly on the UHC/AARP site - or at least I could in TN. There were no surprises in the rates charged
Yes, no surprises and you shouldn't have to do anything; the multi-insured discount will happen automatically.

Here is one set of proposed rate changes for Ohio that were approved. Look under 'base rate' but it may be off a few dollars for EFT.

Thanks!

With my knowing our 2023 Standard Rates, I was able to find the identical rows for both of us for 2024. Both of our Standard Rates are going up 11.0%. Then we both drop our discount rates on our anniversary by 3% each. Bottom line: our rates go up 11% in June and then +3% more in August for the wife and +3% in November for me. 2024 will be a total of a 14% increase! Wow compared to other inflation figures. I don't understand how this table reflects my AGE 77 STANDARD RATE vs the wife's AGE 81 STANDARD RATE but both our 2023 bases perfectly matches the rows on your table.

It will be interesting to see our Individual Billing statements to compare, but I bet I'm really close if not right on.

How did you get this letter? I assume you hadn’t signed up?

When DH signed up we checked Boomer against what AARP/UHC had already quoted online for our county and it was the same.

It came in the mail along with MANY others when I was getting close to 65.... I just happened to keep this one..

I'd be surprised if the comparison was an exact match if the price was different. I'm no fan of BB (or any commission based outfit), but, like a travel agent, they can sell you something for the same price as if bought directly, and still make some money.

Yes, no surprises and you shouldn't have to do anything; the multi-insured discount will happen automatically.

I have no idea what they were quoting, but it was like $15 more per month than what I saw on the website and even more than the letter I got... it was when I mentioned to lower rates they gave me that stupid comment that they were worth the extra cost...

I did see an option for gym when I looked, but my gym costs me a whopping $12 per month and the premium was more than that...

It depends on the gym you want, I think. In PA, our gym cost was $1 more, so I insisted that DH get that plan. I will too in a few months. I'm paying $40/month for LA Fitness, it will be a saving. And I may yet drag him in to the racquet ball courts. Saving $39/month x2 is very well worth it!

I presume people that buy the same letter plan with and without gym membership are all in the same group/cohort. Gym membership buyers self identify as health conscious and those are the customers insurance companies really want!

Again, it's interesting how different the plans have become. When the wife and I signed up, gym memberships were just included "at no additional cost to you". They are breaking it out now to try to lower premiums. Also, the new discount structures just stretch out the premium increases, trying to make them appear less.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 10
I presume people that buy the same letter plan with and without gym membership are all in the same group/cohort. Gym membership buyers self identify as health conscious and those are the customers insurance companies really want!
That could be, but it costs more apparently, DH has been getting emails about the “Renew Active” option. And honestly DH and I will probably never go to a commercial gym again. We have good equipment at home and just don’t like being in a room crowded with equipment with a bunch of strangers working out anymore. I’m sure the pandemic soured my attitude towards gyms. We do have a small exercise room with decent equipment at the neighborhood club and sometimes I use it in the very hot summer when it can generally be counted on to be empty.

We use Apple Fitness all the time, and in addition to a good set of dumbbells for strength training and doing yoga at home we walk/hike and bicycle. Also have a rowing machine.

Last edited:
My UHC Plan N goes from $86 to $95 starting in November. When I signed up the extra cost for the gym plan was more than what I pay each month for gym membership.

Regarding the gym membership, I have a few questions.

I looked at the list and there are quite a few on the list close to us. 24-Hour Fitness looks fine, our friend pays $15/month for it so I'm thinking that is the street value of this "perk" from AARP Medigap.

Is it straight-up "free" or are there add-ons and options, etc.?

Are they offering it free because these gyms know the usage patterns of Medigap recipients and the extra load on their facilities is pretty low?

I don't use a gym now but it is one retirement activity that I would be OK to use because I used to work out, lift weights, do a lot of long distance cycling when I was younger so I understand no pain no gain, etc. I just don't have much time to work out now.

Call the gym and see if they accept renew active (UHC's gym program). If they do it should be free. We use the Y. Their fee here is $68/month for a 65+couple. It's free to us because we have renew active.

Regarding the gym membership, I have a few questions.

I looked at the list and there are quite a few on the list close to us. 24-Hour Fitness looks fine, our friend pays $15/month for it so I'm thinking that is the street value of this "perk" from AARP Medigap.

Is it straight-up "free" or are there add-ons and options, etc.?

Are they offering it free because these gyms know the usage patterns of Medigap recipients and the extra load on their facilities is pretty low?

I don't use a gym now but it is one retirement activity that I would be OK to use because I used to work out, lift weights, do a lot of long distance cycling when I was younger so I understand no pain no gain, etc. I just don't have much time to work out now.

I have AARP Medigap. So here is the way it works. You find a gym that accepts Renew Active and go in and sign up. They will tell you what you get for that. I recently joined a gym that has 3 tiers of membership. Renew Active got me the midrange tier which was the one I would have selected anyway. The big thing they had for the higher tier was that you could go to a women's only strength training area which I would never have done. In my old state the Y was covered by Renew Active and it covered everything a regular membership covers. But, this does vary from facility to other facility.

Oh -- you can join as many facilities as you want to that take Renew Active. You don't have to pick one. SO you could pick one place for a class you like and another place for their equipment. This is because they are paid based upon your attendance. Gyms allow this because they are paid each time you show up.

The gyms do get paid per visit, when someone with Renew Active scans their membership card. And earlier this year, the Metropolitan YMCA in the Washington, DC, area stopped taking Renew Active. I have no evidence to support it, but I blame pickleball, which has lots more oldsters using these facilities.

At Lifetime Fitness, a swanky chain, starting this year they limit Renew Active members to only certain non-peak hours, like the middle of the day on weekdays, Saturday afternoons, and all day Sunday.

Places like Yoga Six or Orange Theory give you a set number of classes per month.

Planet Fitness gets you membership at only one location. You can join as many as you want, but if you're traveling, for example, you can't use your PF membership to visit a different location--you have to actually get a membership there, which is free but a hassle.

I haven't joined 24-Hour Fitness yet, and don't know what their membership structure would be. However, I can say that at Crunch and LA Fitness/Esporta, group classes like yoga and Les Mills classes that are available free to members are included in the Renew Active membership.

One advantage to Renew Active is that you don't have a contract, so you can quit going any time without having to pay a penalty, or fight about cancelling your membership. Sure, you'll keep paying the delta on your supplement premium but it could be used at another gym.

I received DW's AARP/UHC NEW "Personalized" Medigap bill today. It confirmed that in Ohio the Standard Rates that your age discounts apply to did indeed go up 11% exactly effective June 2024. MBSC had posted a 2024 Ohio insurance table earlier in this thread which showed a 11% increase in the Ohio Standard Rates.

I expect my "Personalized" Medigap bill any day now. It will have the same Standard Rate increase.

With our age related UHC discount rates dropping 3% a year now, it will be a ~14% increase for our AARP/UHC Supplemental Plan G Medigap insurance premium in 2024.

Back
Top Bottom