United Airlines Roughed Up Passenger to Give Up His Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would still be the same "reward the violator" situation that ERD50 highlighted.

Yes, technically that is correct. However, sometimes, humanity and reason will prevail over principle. I get the impression that you probably would have held firm, but I do think SOME fellow passengers would have considered volunteering despite the risk of rewarding the violator.
Again, easy to say in retrospect, but obviously, this would have been a much better solution for EVERYONE involved in this case.

Your defense of the airline to a level that IMO is unreasonable sure smell as if you have some skin in the game.
Nonsense. I could as easily say that your defense of the passenger sure smells like you are inspired to transgress just as much. As I said before, I have no skin in the game. I was simply not blinded by consumer bias which underlied the original twitter storm that launched this situation into widespread attention. Again: Let's take each other at face value, respect each other's views as much as we would like our views to be respected, and not stoop to vapid mudslinging at people posting perspectives we don't like.

Why would an airline offer more than $1350 if they can involuntarily take you off at that $ offer? And remember they do this all the time without incident, there's no way they could have known this passenger was going to refuse despite all appeals.
Precisely. How can an expense that transgresses company policy, which itself uses federal regulations as standard, be justified as anything other than dereliction of duty?

Your argument fails in two ways. First, if all you had to do to avoid an involuntary bump was say no then who would ever accept an involuntary bump? The rules exist for reasons. They're baked into the pricing model and operational plans for not just the airline but for the industry as a whole.
I'm guessing, after the storm of bad publicity this has created for UA, that they sincerely wish they'd been given the option to give in. And I'm guessing that plenty of other people would have accepted the involuntary bump, including those who servilely embrace authoritarianism. And as far as the guy getting away with it with impunity, they could easily have had him arrested, after he de-planed at the destination, for failing to follow crew instructions (and he could have sued them for doing so).

Second, what you're saying would be as if someone runs out of the Best Buy with a $200 television under his arm that he hadn't paid for and when the police try to take it from him he says no. He resists, he refuses. Effectively, you're saying that the police should let him steal it with impunity.
This argument is ludicrous; I really don't think I need to explain.

Yes, technically that is correct. However, sometimes, humanity and reason will prevail over principle.
Reason did prevail. With regard to humanity: The typical American consumer and the American investor have together squeezed every last bit of humanity out of the airline industry with maniacal bargain hunting by consumers and dogged insistence on profitability and growth by investors. This is the reality we've crafted together, and now we have to live in it. The rules and laws are the last defense before we start back with sticks and stones.

I'm guessing, after the storm of bad publicity this has created for UA, that they sincerely wish they'd been given the option to give in.
Hindsight is always 20/20. However, for every incident like this there are literally hundreds of cases where they apply the same processes the same way and there is no appreciable negative consequence.

This argument is ludicrous; I really don't think I need to explain.
The argument is sound, but I understand why you would want to try to make it sound otherwise, given you are probably frustrated that there isn't a legitimate rebuttal to it.

Last edited:
Maybe it was misreported on CBS News (national) last night, but they reported the passenger was offered $800 and the "standard" was $1350. That's why I was still wondering.

But this was a horrible event, with blame on both sides - contrary to some opinions earlier in this thread.

Stnd is 2x or 4x your ticket price to a max of $1350 from what I have seen...

I think it is pretty clear that $800 (or whatever the deal was) was not enough to clear the market.

Agreed, but I thought I read that there are limits to what they can offer? I also heard $1,000 kicked around.

I would think eliminating the limit would be a good thing, a reverse auction would work, someone will bite, or the figure will get so large that the airline will find some alternative. But if these are the current rules, that's how it must go, until/if they change the rules.

Your defense of the airline to a level that IMO is unreasonable sure smell as if you have some skin in the game.

I'm saying much the same things - am I a United employee also? Nope, just someone who is trying to cut through the "trial by social media" thing.

Full disclosure, I know an employee of United. My (now deceased) uncle used to work for TWA, many years ago, they might have been bought out by United, I don't recall. Is that too close for you?

-ERD50

Here's UA Contract of Carriage https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/contract-of-carriage.aspx#sec21

Does it really say they can remove someone after boarding and occupying their assigned seat, to make space for someone else? It is long and I didn't read the entire agreement, but looking at the applicable sections, this is not so clear cut.

Rule 21, "Refusal to Transport" does not include overbooking or needing a seat for someone else, Rule 5 "Cancellation of Reservations" seems to cover travelers before they board, and United's "reseating" rights mean the traveler gets another seat. Finally, the entire section on denied boarding (rule 25) all describe a situation where the traveler has not yet boarded the aircraft.

It seems that once a passenger has boarded, the airline can move him or her, but as long as they are complying with the contract and federal regulations, it is not clearly spelled out that they can be involuntarily removed from the aircraft. Of course, I am not a lawyer, draw no conclusions from media reports, and offer no judgement on this situation. :)

I do not know the rules, but I have witnessed them bumping a passenger that was already on the plane... however, I think he was standby and a passenger that paid for a ticket arrived late before they closed the door... but not sure...

No, United and their employees had a hand (as well as weather I think) in creating the situation (not the problem). And as I understand it, there is a documented procedure to deal with this situation. And it appears to have been followed (unless other info comes to light). And the last step in that procedure was some kind of drawing to pick passengers to deplane.

This passenger created the problem by refusing to follow the procedure. It was the same situation, and other passengers followed the procedure and deplaned without creating a problem.

-ERD50

Maybe that's the start of the problem. A bad procedure, especially if it includes forceable removal of passengers.

That's not really 'volunteering' then. That's coercion by the guy creating the disturbance. Big difference in my book.

You would have had your chance to volunteer at the $800 or whatever.

-ERD50

Why does it matter whether it is "volunteering" or not, the point is, that $800 might not have been enough for anyone to volunteer previously, but after witnessing the situation, perhaps some people would have been open to another appeal. Plane would have taken off, everyone satisfied, the Dr might have received a ****-eye from some of the other passengers. Case closed.
Why not try?

No. The problem was UA let everyone boarded the air craft then changed their mind last minutes.

I will agree with you to a point...

Sure, UA made a bad decision to board the plane and then try and get people off... so we will agree with this...

However, they have every right to ask passengers to deplane... they chose 4 and told them they were the unlucky ones... either 2 or 3 complied right away (not sure since reading this thread right now is when I read about the wife).... this guy refused to do so... so now HE is the cause of everything that happened to him... not UA....

Think about this.... the guy is refusing to obey a legal request from a LEO... from what I know (and I could be wrong) this is a crime itself.... I was taught to obey LEO and deal with any loss of my rights or whatever later when the situation is not hot... I have done this my whole life and it has worked just fine...

<snip>
I believe the protocol is supposed to be lowest fare paid to highest fare paid, in that order.

Do you see something wrong with that protocol?

The guy got to the plane on time, got his seat. No problem. The airlines made their problem his problem. (And, apparently, the airlines had other options to remedy their problem).

And, as for the protocol. It seems like the issue was: not enough seats on this flight. So, there's a lottery, but it's not an equitable lottery. First class isn't in the lottery, either is business class and probably not the extended leg-room customers. Who gets to be in the lottery? The poor and those who want to save money--they get to be in the lottery.

So if there is a lottery, maybe every passenger needs to be included. After all, the issue seems to be a lack of seats, not where the seats are located.

Why does it matter whether it is "volunteering" or not, the point is, that $800 might not have been enough for anyone to volunteer previously, but after witnessing the situation, perhaps some people would have been open to another appeal. Plane would have taken off, everyone satisfied, the Dr might have received a ****-eye from some of the other passengers. Case closed.
Why not try?

No the case would not be closed - it would be opened!

Word gets out that involuntary bumping isn't involuntary at all, all you need to do is say, "I would prefer not to", and they move to the next guy/gal.

It doesn't make sense - first the airline should say "we are looking for volunteers", then when they get no volunteers, they say "we are looking for volunteers"? They already tried that! Now it has advanced to involuntary time.

-ERD50

No more than I see something wrong with society as a whole. If you want to right the inherent unfairness of our wealth-based consumer economy, come to church with me on Sunday, and we can get started. However, until we're successful realizing our vision, we live in the society that is. Render to Caesar...

I wonder how often this happens?

Was United just unfortunate enough to be the first major airline to confront this situation? Were the gate agent and the other employees stuck with a situation with no clear guidelines to follow? I am thinking that was so.:confused:

I bet the management at Delta, American, SouthWest, Alaska, etc. are busy upgrading their protocols for what should be done in a similar situation. :)

Reason did prevail. With regard to humanity: The typical American consumer and the American investor have together squeezed every last bit of humanity out of the airline industry with maniacal bargain hunting by consumers ...
We can agree on this, at least. Consumers bear a lot of the responsibility, and not just on air travel, by slavishly prioritizing price over everything else.

Hindsight is always 20/20. However, for every incident like this there are literally hundreds of cases where they apply the same processes the same way and there is no appreciable negative consequence.
Really ? Hundreds of other incidents where it should have become clear to reasonable officers that there was going to be a major scene if they persisted in removing the passenger ? I think not.

The argument is sound, but I understand why you would want to try to make it sound otherwise, given you are probably frustrated that there isn't a legitimate rebuttal to it.
For heavens' sake. The TV thief was committing a crime, clear to any reasonable person. I guess technically the UA drag-ee was, but only a crime against the airlines' callous contempt for their customers.

I'd bet that at least for a while, United will be taking very good care of all their customers.

Reason did prevail. With regard to humanity: The typical American consumer and the American investor have together squeezed every last bit of humanity out of the airline industry with maniacal bargain hunting by consumers and dogged insistence on profitability and growth by investors. This is the reality we've crafted together, and now we have to live in it. The rules and laws are the last defense before we start back with sticks and stones.

We'll have to disagree on the "reason" part. As far as the humanity, you do have a point about the general business trends these days, and all our complicity in it. That said, I'm far more optimistic than you on this point: I still see much good in people.

The guy got to the plane on time, got his seat. No problem. The airlines made their problem his problem. (And, apparently, the airlines had other options to remedy their problem).

And, as for the protocol. It seems like the issue was: not enough seats on this flight. So, there's a lottery, but it's not an equitable lottery. First class isn't in the lottery, either is business class and probably not the extended leg-room customers. Who gets to be in the lottery? The poor and those who want to save money--they get to be in the lottery.

So if there is a lottery, maybe every passenger needs to be included. After all, the issue seems to be a lack of seats, not where the seats are located.

OK, but apparently it is the protocol. Maybe (probably) it should be changed, but until it is, you gotta play by the rules. Life's not always fair, but I bet you knew that.

And I should have said "every passenger could say "Hey, you didn't make the other guy get off, so I won't either"." I guess I got carried away! Good catch :)

-ERD50

Word gets out that involuntary bumping isn't involuntary at all, all you need to do is say, "I would prefer not to", and they move to the next guy/gal.
They move on to the next person after saying "we're going to notify police at the destination and have you arrested after you de-plane" or "we're going to notify TSA and you'll be unable to fly again until you appear in court to answer for your actions".

Really ? Hundreds of other incidents where it should have become clear to reasonable officers that there was going to be a major scene if they persisted in removing the passenger ? I think not.
You're confounding two separate issues. The airline had nothing to do with the second half of removing the passenger, and if the passenger complied with the police, then we would never have heard of this situation, just like the hundreds of other times it has happened. The airline was only involved up until the passenger refused to deplane. After that it was 100% a police operation as the passenger had violated federal law.

For heavens' sake. The TV thief was committing a crime, clear to any reasonable person. I guess technically the UA drag-ee was, but only a crime against the airlines' callous contempt for their customers.
Wrong, and until you accept and acknowledge that the passenger violated federal law, there's no way you're going to understand the situation about which you're attempting to comment.

We'll have to disagree on the "reason" part. As far as the humanity, you do have a point about the general business trends these days, and all our complicity in it. That said, I'm far more optimistic than you on this point: I still see much good in people.
People, individually, are indeed generally good. The airport police officer is almost surely a very good person, someone who just needs a bit more training and experience perhaps. The passenger may be a good person in other circumstances, for all we know. However, in the cesspool of the US airline system, too many people turn to savagery. And the American public as a whole, driven by Facebook and Twitter-driven FUD, is certifiably evil.

They move on to the next person after saying "we're going to notify police at the destination and have you arrested after you de-plane"
There's no difference between this and that, except a craven response by the Chicago airport police to kick the can down the road to the Louisville police. That's no solution.

or "we're going to notify TSA and you'll be unable to fly again until you appear in court to answer for your actions".
I agree that this would be a better approach, but understand what you're saying: You would be giving gate agents the power to place any passenger on the no-fly list, pending an in-person hearing to work out the situation. Is that what you're really supporting?

Last edited:
I will agree with you to a point...

Sure, UA made a bad decision to board the plane and then try and get people off... so we will agree with this...

However, they have every right to ask passengers to deplane... they chose 4 and told them they were the unlucky ones... either 2 or 3 complied right away (not sure since reading this thread right now is when I read about the wife).... this guy refused to do so... so now HE is the cause of everything that happened to him... not UA....

Think about this.... the guy is refusing to obey a legal request from a LEO... from what I know (and I could be wrong) this is a crime itself.... I was taught to obey LEO and deal with any loss of my rights or whatever later when the situation is not hot... I have done this my whole life and it has worked just fine...

Okay at least we agree on UA created/started the problem.

A few years back my son was bullied by another kid (the other kid started the problem), he fought back and both my son and the other kid got suspended by the vice principle. To me he has every right to fight back. But to you he should just bites his lips and cry alone.

A little bit of common sense and salesmanship would've helped too.

"Look folks, it's a 5 hour drive, we'll pay you $800 and cover the rental car cost." (or hire someone to drive a van).

or

"We really can't go anywhere until 4 people volunteer to get off. Won't someone be a hero and take the deal?" (maybe they did something like that)

or when the guy first refused, announce

"Folks, we randomly picked a doctor who simply can't be bumped, so we're going to draw again. You aren't all doctors, right? But first, one more chance for a volunteer..."

Pretty much ANYTHING is better than what they did, but I see there are people on here who would also dig in their heels and stay the course, no matter the ultimate cost to the airlines. Maybe that's not fair, I'm only seeing the quoted parts of some of the posts, you can guess why.

Here is pretty funny comedy bit and a new video ad Jimmy Kimmel made for United:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...fter-customer-is-dragged-from-seat/100316622/

"We’re United Airlines. You do what we say when we say, and there won’t be a problem," a "flight attendant" stated in the spoof. "If we say you fly, you fly. If not, tough (expletive). Give us a problem, and we’ll drag your (expletive) off the plane."

Last edited:

That is just dumb thinking IMO..

Also, it is not random.... I just watched a clip on CNBC about this... they said that there is a list in the COC that states how they bump people... the random part comes in when there are more people in a class than what they need....

As one commentator stated, no first class or business class is going to be bumped... they will not bump people in the FF program if they do not have to... they will not bump one person in a family... they will not bump an unaccompanied minor....

So, we know that the Dr had a cheap ticket...

NOW, one guy did make a good point that the offer probably was in 'script'... IOW, $800 to use toward a later flight with the carrier (I do not know if it was or was not script) when the involuntary bump is in cash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom