University Peddling Credit Cards

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DD goes to Washington University in St. Louis, and this came in the mail for her today:

WashUCreditCardOffer.jpg

It strikes me as wrong that the university should be lending it's name to commercial things like this (this isn't the first junk mail that's arrived with Wash U's return address). I'm not saying that credit cards are bad, I just don't think the university should be selling things other than an education.

Is it just me, or is this sleazy and cheap?

The university isn't lending its name -- it's selling the mailing lists of student names to the CC company for big $$. At least this mailing is for a reasonable rate CC...my daughter got one mailing while at her school for a CC that could potentially have a rate of nearly 35% (this is not a typo...THIRTY-FIVE PERCENT!) We called and complained to the university and they basically said they viewed it as an opportunity for the students to begin developing credit in their own names. Yeah, right.:rant:

No doubt your DD is being exposed to many more questionable ideas at University, in the cause of academic freedom. Hopefully your good example and financial coaching over the years have given her a healthy skepticism towards such worldly temptations!

well, i'm sure she's dodged the many tables offering free shirts, m&m's etc - those poor shirtless, treatless college kids are vulnerable to those tantalizing offerings! she might just decide one day, walking home from class, she needs a sugar fix, or snazzy aluminum mug...you never know...

Is it just me, or is this sleazy and cheap?
Naw, just cheap. They really didn't want to take this step, but they had to resort to this tactic after they re-evaluated your stellar financial assistance request letter.

However if every student & alumnus contributes to their fund-raising campaign then next year's fund-raising campaign will upgrade to American Express.

Sleazy would be their football team playing in [-]WUSTL[/-] Mastercard Stadium with the little twin-circles logo on their helmets...

Sleazy would be their football team playing in [-]WUSTL[/-] Mastercard Stadium with the little twin-circles logo on their helmets...

Isn't the UW stadium or athletics center named Mastercard Husky something-or-other? I know we have some Seattle people on this forum who can tell us.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom