Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) 2017 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is any of this actually proprietary to Roku? Or are we talking about Pluto, Tubi, Crackle, etc. Those can be installed on practically any device and watched for free. Is there some content that Roku actually provides free only to Roku owners?

None of them are "proprietary" to Roku, per se. Roku is not a Studio. What ROKU is good at is finding streaming services that are not very well known, if at all.. As per the Link I provided earlier and this one: https://www.rokuguide.com/.

None of them are "proprietary" to Roku, per se. Roku is not a Studio. What ROKU is good at is finding streaming services that are not very well known, if at all.. As per the Link I provided earlier and this one: https://www.rokuguide.com/.

timo2 got it; and answered already.

I think we all know that "Roku is not a studio." :facepalm:

The question is: how many of Roku's "kagillion free channels" are only available to Roku owners. So far the answer is none.

T-MObile is touting TVision, which has a package of 155 channels for $90 that includes a DVR with 400 hours of HD programming capability.

It's originally Layer 3 TV. Only in a handful or two markets though they say they will expand.

Maybe they will bundle with 5G fixed wireless service for homes.

Is any of this actually proprietary to Roku? Or are we talking about Pluto, Tubi, Crackle, etc. Those can be installed on practically any device and watched for free. Is there some content that Roku actually provides free only to Roku owners?

None of the stuff that Amazon sells is proprietary to Amazon (well, not most of it), but they found a better way to get it to you and made a fortune and disrupted the retail industry. If Roku becomes synonymous with steaming tv, that might make them very valuable. TV manufacturers may stop trying to make their TV’s smart and just install Roku. If Roku creates the best experience, anything could happen. I’m just getting into this an I have a Apple TV and a Roku. So far, leaning toward liking the Apple TV interface better, but both are much better than my Smart TV interface.

I continue to use my AppleTV box. But the more I read of Roku ‘s agnostic approach the better it sounds.

AppleTV restricts some apps - and. I don’t like it!

The mid-level and up models of Roku can do voice search. Supposedly I can use Alexa to control it too, but I haven't tried it yet.

Adding and finding channels is pretty easy. I struggled doing so with the Firestick, but that may have been due to crappy old hardware. (App installs would fail, app updates would hang, etc.)

Saved a bit more money today by cancelling Netflix. Main reason we had it was for cartoons and shows that DGD liked. We also gained free Hulu. It’s an add on from my Sprint phone plan.

So, we trimmed our cable/internet bill from $162 to $119 by going to a small channel line up package and full streaming. And, saved another $13 by getting rid of Netflix. That’s about $675 per year savings with no noticeable difference in our viewing. Don’t really need it, but I will be putting an OTA antenna in the attic. The OTA reception, when reception is good, is better than the streaming, plus it will be good to have in case the internet goes down.

This year, my antenna reception was deteriorating a lot more, and more recordings were getting missed. Checked into it, and I determined my distribution amplifier was causing the problem. 5 years of use did it in. I took it out and replaced it with a 3 way splitter, and things were back to normal. I still had an older problem of a couple channels still dropping out or pixelating at times, but I decided to see if I could improve on that. I added an FM trap, which absolutely helped some, but there was an even bigger improvement after a small adjustment of my antenna. So at this point, my reception is actually better than it ever was.

I have no cable or subscription services like Netflix. My internet is on the slow side, but it's $40/mo.

I cut our Comcast provided VOIP landline when we cut the cord. Exclusively use mobile phones. We added a Panasonic cordless phone with ability to auto connect to mobile phones via Bluetooth when ever phone is in range of base station. Calls to either mobile ring to all 4 handsets placed around the house. Quality is ok but proximity of mobile to base station is important. We charge phones next base station so problem is minimal.

We've got the cost down to $15 per year including 911 service. I'm good with that.

I just added 911 service with Magic Jack (because of this thread) it's costing me an extra $.20 per month that brings in me in just under $2.90 per month all in.

Unsure if all Spectrum internet only customers are aware but your service comes with free EPIX access. Just sign in with your Spectrum credentials in the Epix app, I'm using Roku. This has been available for many years, it goes back to when Spectrum was Charter. it's not a secret but it's not advertised either. I never used it much over the years but I wanted to watch Perpetual Grace so tried logging in a couple of weeks ago week and was surprised to find it still works. If I ever have time, I'll check the HBO and Showtime apps and see if they work as well, you never know....

Unsure if all Spectrum internet only customers are aware but your service comes with free EPIX access. Just sign in with your Spectrum credentials in the Epix app, I'm using Roku. This has been available for many years, it goes back to when Spectrum was Charter. it's not a secret but it's not advertised either. I never used it much over the years but I wanted to watch Perpetual Grace so tried logging in a couple of weeks ago week and was surprised to find it still works. If I ever have time, I'll check the HBO and Showtime apps and see if they work as well, you never know....

Thank you for that. I just tried it, and I was able to activate my TCL Roku TV with the Epix channel using my Spectrum credentials. I only receive internet service from Spectrum.

Thank you for that. I just tried it, and I was able to activate my TCL Roku TV with the Epix channel using my Spectrum credentials. I only receive internet service from Spectrum.
Your welcome, glad to hear you found it useful. I LOVE my 55" TCL Roku TV and even though I don't need another, I'm pretty sure I will be upgrading to a 65" one (or bigger) on Black Friday. This one is only two years old and I only paid about $250 on the Target Black Friday sale with other discounts. I'll have to find somewhere to put it to justify my next new purchase but if it's cheap I won't be able to resist...

Being subscribed to any of these Services should get you access to EPIX:

Xfinity (NEW)
DIRECTV (NEW)
YouTube TV (NEW)
Apple TV app
AT&T U-verse
Atlantic Broadband
Blue Ridge Communications
Buckeye Broadband
CenturyLink Prism
Conway Corporation
Cox Communications
DISH
EPB Fiber Optics
EPlus Broadband
Frontier Communications
GCI
GVTC Communications
Hargray
Hawaiian Telcom
Home Telecom
HTC Digital Cable
LUS Fiber
MetroCast
MTC Cable - NY
North State
Sling TV
Spectrum
T-Mobile
Venture Communications
Verizon Fios

Wow Ron, nice list. Evidently being a Spectrum customer isn't as special as I thought it was.
Any other channels that we might have free access to that you're aware of?

Xfinity does not provide free access to Epix. No matter what plan you have, it’s an a la carte channel and it goes for $5.99 a month. I’m sure many of the other providers listed will give you Epix, but not for free. Cox also considers it an a la carte premium channel and charges $10 a month. You might be able to get it included in an expensive all in premium channel package, but that’s far from free.

Last edited:
Xfinity does not provide free access to Epix. No matter what plan you have, it’s an a la carte channel and it goes for $5.99 a month. I’m sure many of the other providers listed will give you Epix, but not for free.
Have you tried accessing it as an internet customer only, the reason I ask is that Spectrum also sells it to their TV package customers. If they can get someone to pay for it, why not?

Add EPIX to your Spectrum TV package for just $5.99/mo with a subscription to our popular Premium Channels.

Have you tried accessing it as an internet customer only, the reason I ask is that Spectrum also sells it to their TV package customers. If they can get someone to pay for it, why not?

Add EPIX to your Spectrum TV package for just $5.99/mo with a subscription to our popular Premium Channels.

I just now added it to my ROKU. We are an internet only customer of Spectrum/Time Warner/Whatever their name is now. It works.

+2 I just did the same thing... didn't know that Spectrum internet includes Epix.... looks like they have some good content.

I am not an internet customer only and can’t access my account in that way. I have a TV and internet package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom