Urban Wildlife Increase

Our snowbird condo in Scottsdale, Az is a wildlife haven. I’ve had rattlesnakes and bobcats a few feet from my garage door. Coyotes, javelinas, scorpions. But I haven’t really seen much of an increase. Wildlife sightings have been fairly constant there for the past 16 years.

That's our trash can. The wires are bear locks. I made a mistake the first spring as I didn't think the bears were awake yet, but maybe they are? My indecision showed as I only locked one side of the container.

A bear had a bunch of fun that night. It would have been less mess to clean up if I'd just dumped everything out! That thing threw the trash all over our yard, crawled inside the container. Freaking bear! I choose to live in it's neighborhood.

ETA: Only time since the one above I've ever left trash out overnight a bear came up and knocked the locked can all over the place. Luckily it didn't go over the canyon. I don't put trash out anymore till an hour before the truck. Sometimes my neighbor does, but I've noticed he's been more aware of the bear.

20180804_203206.jpeg

Last edited:
We are seeing more deer, ticks, raccoons, and snakes in our neighborhood. A black bear was sighted nearby recently as well (very unusual). The deer are just unafraid of people and they come eat the plants on my front porch now. The ticks freak me out the most, but I also keep an eye out for copperheads and rattlesnakes too as they have been spotted by neighbors (urban AL).

Last edited:
Mostly, I embrace all the wildlife we see regularly.

Well, that might be why you're getting ticks...

Seriously, yes, wildlife has increased. Rural/Suburban area here, and we've always had deer. But birds of prey (eagles, hawks, and especially osprey) have increased, and smaller critters like weasels and fishers. I came face-to-face with a coyote (looked like a wolf to me, but at that point I wasn't being too analytical!) many years ago, and still see signs of them all around.

On the water, same thing. In my lifetime, seals have made a comeback, along with more whales. The seals of course bring great white sharks. Recently I saw the first harbor porpoises south of Portland, ME. Used to be you'd have to go up to Mt. Desert Island (e.g.; Bar Harbor) to see them, and even then it wasn't a sure thing. The big decreases are the species humans fish for, like cod. Those are essentially gone, in an economic sense. Oddly, periwinkles are also gone, possibly the invasive green crabs eat them.

The rain finally left so I tore myself away from the keyboard, and ER.org, and went outside to turn over my backyard compost pile. Immediately, I had an amazing wildlife encounter, right here in the city of Raleigh, NC.

Before I explain, a few questions for you:

- Has wildlife increased where you live?
- If so, what kind?
- Is any dangerous?
- What is the most dangerous?
- Do you like/love it, or hate it?
Have been on the edges of NJ pine barrens for ~30 years. There are enough green area in preservation to keep the wildlife populations relatively steady. We have deer, skunk, raccoon, groundhog, chipmunk, squirrel, opussum, hawk, owl, vulture, snake, mole, mice, etc. The populations move up and down periodically. Hawks are very impressive hunters. We see more as the population of moles, mice, increase. I've been up close with all of these critters. A large buck went through our year a week or two ago. Usually we only see doe.

This past week a neighbor across from us cut down two very large oaks, which will no doubt cause squirrels to move, etc. His lawn will be greener, amply fed by fertilizer and watering routines. It's his yard, I know.

On the plus side, I drove by a very small fawn just inside the development. Hopefully this one will grow old, and not become a victim of auto collision.

All animals are potentially dangerous. For example, mosquito and ticks are quite small, very numerous this year. They carry disease, and some neighbors with untreated, dirty pools do not understand this.

When we lived in Ottawa and biked along the river, the geese would be all over the trail.......bell ringing & yelling accomplished nothing......until....I hit upon the idea of barking.

They moved.
Thank you for the tip! This can be a serious problem when riding the greenways. Sometimes I just ride through them (slowly) like a pylon test. They are crazy with no fear at all!

I need to work on my barking.

A few weeks ago DW and I were at a stoplight on a 4-lane divided highway when a bear ran across the road right in front of us. This is just outside a city of about 100k, but in a suburban area about 1/2 mile from a major exit off I-81. I grew up in the area, and years ago a bear would have been un-heard of.

In my area we have seen a huge increase in squirrels and rabbits. The grandkids love seeing rabbits in the back yard, out front when we take a walk around the block and in the parks. This has also caused an increase in a third form of wildlife - coyotes. Their food supply is up, so their population is up.

If the coyotes eat enough of the neighborhood cats that wander about outside, we may even see an increase in the native song bird population.

Thank you for the tip! This can be a serious problem when riding the greenways. Sometimes I just ride through them (slowly) like a pylon test. They are crazy with no fear at all!

I need to work on my barking.

Or get a Swan.

Close to twenty years ago my late wife & I were camped at a conservation area in Ontario; Canada geese everywhere.

Went for a walk with my Border Collie and encountered maybe thirty geese on a slope; they cared nothing for me, but as soon as they saw the dog, (he didn't bark, just strolled), they started heading for the water.

Except.....a, newly arrived, solitary swan had claimed that sector. He just cruised nonchalantly a few feet out and parallel to the water line....no hissing, no flapping of wings.....but he sure intimidated the geese who totally outnumbered him.

Until, and after, his mate arrived, the geese were relegated to the part of the lake that the swans apparently didn't want, or were willing to cede......didn't see any attempts at incursions by the geese.

If it lives in our area we've probably seen it in our back yard. It's something we really enjoy.

Probably my favorite wildlife was the fox family that raised their kits in our backyard last year. So much fun to watch - much of it recorded on game cam video. Keep the rabbit population down too.

We now have coyotes right in town. I always go outside with the little dogs. If the big guy goes out I don’t worry as he is much bigger than a coyote. We also have hawks. Here they call outside cats “coyote cookies.” Here someone let their 3 small dogs out and went back in to use the bathroom. When she came back all 3 were dead and a coyote was eating one. Occasionally a mountain lion will come into town.

If the big guy goes out I don’t worry as he is much bigger than a coyote.

As I understand it coyotes/wolves have been know to use a pack member in estrus to lure domestic dogs to somewhere they can be attacked by the group.

We live in an area between a lake and forested land. We have seen eagles, hawks, coyotes, deer, geese , ducks. There have been reports and pictures of cougars. And of course lots of different birds, raccoons, squirrels, opossum, skunks right around the house.
We had a coyote run down our street in broad daylight a few years ago, and last year I was out driving early morning and a pack of 6 coyotes were trotting down the middle of the road--that was a sight to see!

We have a fenced in backyard.

Fence won't always stop a coyote. I watched a video of a coyote climbing a stucco fence carrying a cat that was still trying to escape

Heres one with coyotes jumping 7 foot fence

Last edited:
Went out to bring breakfast back and took one little dog with me. She's laying on the front seat and we're going ~30 mph when a doe mule deer ran across the road. I didn't know a wrangler could stop that fast, neither did the dog, as she flew off the seat! I'm still slightly moving as two fawns come bouncing into the road. They don't have the skills yet and it takes forever for them to cross the road.

Here's what it's supposed to look like. These guys only jumped about 2 feet at a time.

https://youtu.be/h8DweS5Z684

After lunch we walked a mile around our circle. There was a young buck in one yard, and a doe with her two yearling fawns in another. I suspected there were one or two more fawns from this year, but the scrub oak was too thick to see theough.

There's cases of interbreeding between coyotes, dogs, and wolves.

Coywolf https://g.co/kgs/yjt7Cw
Coydog https://g.co/kgs/VXxbZ5
Wolfdog https://g.co/kgs/A3mU2u

Some years back, at a swap meet down near Ajo, AZ, one of the vendors had a mother & daughter Wolf/Dog mix........I asked him if I could pet them and he said OK.........went to touch the mother's feet and she politely informed me that that would be inadvisable.

"Oh jeez" said the guy "She won't even let me touch her feet".

Other than that she was very receptive to attention.

This link about high concentration of wildlife in huge cities like Mumbai & New York makes interesting reading
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/planet-earth-ii/cities

We live on a re-developed airport. The first residents moved here in 2004, so the open areas are still developing. I've seen how the number & variety of birds increase each year as the grasses and trees in the designated open areas & neighborhoods mature. We have fox, coyotes, musk rats, beavers, the ubiquitous prairie dogs, rabbits, great horned owls, a few types of hawks and falcons, water & shore birds especially as they migrate through in the winter and spring, small birds like blackbirds, swallows, kingbirds etc. I often spot upwards of 20 bird species on a short walk.

It is obvious that some of this increase in urban wildlife is the expansion of urban areas into what used to be farmland or "wild" land. But I wonder how much the cleaning up of our environment has helped - probably a lot, but I don't have the time to look for studies that prove it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom