Use a Password Mgr? Which One? Like It?

38Chevy454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Even though I use strong passwords, and two factor authentication when available, I think the time has come where I might use a password manager. Too many world events where cyber attack is part of the plans. Sure as individual I am probably not a direct target, but a major data breach can make for challenging times. Certainly can't hurt to improve security online since so much of our lives are present there.

1. Do you use a password manager?
2. Which One?
3. Do you like it?
4. (bonus question) Do you pay for it, and how much?

I have been searching and found these as popular choices: lastpass, bitwarden, 1password, dashlane, keeper.

Thanks for discussion and helping me decide what to do.

I use the password generator included with Firefox for everything except financial sites. On those, I have very long, impossible-to-guess passwords -- things like "the first line from that book I like" and similar. Those I store in my head.

Every other password is something akin to ht6p!vZeE31444p

I use Lastpass and like it. At one time there was no cost, now it's $39.99. There is a free version but it only works on one device. The paid version works across all the devices I need it to.

Or, Use the password manager in your browser. For Free. But check security and how it will be protected and not monitored for advertising.

- Rita

Here's a good thread from last year.

Password Managers

Personally, I've been very happy with 1Password for the last ten years. Currently paying $60 for the family plan, and well worth it to me.

I also have used 1Password for a decade or so. I’m single, so I pay for the single user yearly subscription. I use it on Windows and Mac computers and multiple Apple devices. It supports easy use in multiple browsers (plugins) across those platforms. I’m very happy with it.

For me, the passwords are stored on 1Passwod’s servers and synchronized across all of my devices. I trust their security. I don’t even know if they still offer an alternative to this approach.

I don’t use one. I think they are obvious targets for hackers to turn into malware. I have very few passwords that really matter; for example my early-retirement.org password doesn't matter much. So for those I use a simple mental system that is easy to remember and I generally let the browsers remember the passwords for me anyway. For critical passwords like financial stuff I use a more complicated system. Those passwords are never stored anywhere.

AFIK I have never been subject to an individual password attack. IMO that kind of retail-level hacking would not be cost-effective for a bad guy. Thefts by someone hacking a vendor database, of course, but there is nothing I can do about that except, when concerned, change a password.

If you’re in the Apple ecosystem, you can use the built-in password manager. It securely shares passwords across your various Apple devices (iPhone, Mac, iPad, Apple TV).

Works great if you only use Apple devices...

Here's a good thread from last year.

Password Managers

Personally, I've been very happy with 1Password for the last ten years. Currently paying $60 for the family plan, and well worth it to me.

+1

I moved to 1Password from Lastpass a year ago and no regrets. I find it’s more intuitive and with the added bonus of no trackers.

If you’re in the Apple ecosystem, you can use the built-in password manager. It securely shares passwords across your various Apple devices (iPhone, Mac, iPad, Apple TV).

Works great if you only use Apple devices...

I considered this before deciding on 1Password. It can work well, except for a few limitations. The biggest for me was the inability to keep notes along with login/password info on iOS. You can add notes on MacOS, but it’s not that intuitive. If I couldn’t add notes, then I’d never remember answers to security questions.

KeePass. Open-source. No cloud. There's a port for Android. I sync the database manually along with other things I keep in sync, so no big deal.

We use LastPass and like it. It shares across my different devices, allows me to share with my wife, and I’ve set up emergency access for my son should something happen to us

I considered this before deciding on 1Password. It can work well, except for a few limitations. The biggest for me was the inability to keep notes along with login/password info on iOS. You can add notes on MacOS, but it’s not that intuitive. If I couldn’t add notes, then I’d never remember answers to security questions.

You could put the security questions in Notes. You can password protect a note and they are accessible on iOS and Mac.

Secure features in the Notes app

I use an Excel file that I developed for passwords, and keep the file on an external hard drive that I always shut off when I am not using it. I have a columns for websites, passwords, security questions, and anything else of note.

This works well for me. It was not hard to set up, and it is easy to edit when I change any information.

I've used Roboform for 10+ years. I can't imagine trying to remember all my passwords or have to create strong ones. It does everything. I pay for the version that I can use on all my devices. You only have to remember one strong password.

I recently used it to update all my passwords to a minimum of 20 characters if the system would allow it. It keeps secured notes and usually will record your security questions and answers in the note section of the login page when you save it for the first time.

1. Do you use a password manager? YES
2. Which One? Password Corral, KeePassXC
3. Do you like it? like Password Corral more, reason why I use two.
4. (bonus question) Do you pay for it, and how much? Do not pay (I like free :cool:)

I used LastPass until they limited the capability of their free version last year. Decided to try bitwarden and have stuck with their free version. It does what I want although at $10/year, I'm tempted to try their premium personal version. I do like that it is open source.

I use an Excel file that I developed for passwords, and keep the file on an external hard drive that I always shut off when I am not using it. I have a columns for websites, passwords, security questions, and anything else of note.

This works well for me. It was not hard to set up, and it is easy to edit when I change any information.

I also use a spreadsheet. The one thing you didn't mention is password protecting the spreadsheet. Mine requires a password to unlock the spreadsheet then I can access all my passwords.

My financial accounts require two factor authorization.

KeePass. Open-source. No cloud. There's a port for Android. I sync the database manually along with other things I keep in sync, so no big deal.

+1

I use KeePass as well and among the reasons I chose it were because it's open-source and doesn't use "the cloud". I've been using it for a few years now and like it a lot.

Another 1Password user here, around 5+ years. Every single one of my passwords is different, 20-30 characters, and complex thanks to 1Password's random password generator. Available across our Mac/Windows/mobile devices.

Our most sensitive accounts also have two-factor authentication, preferring Google Authenticator over SMS/email where available to further strengthen our security posture.

We use Sticky Password, and have done so for the last 5 years. Paid $150 for a lifetime subscription including a donation to Save the Manatees.

It uses bank style encryption. We have it on all of our computers. All synchronized. Opens with a master password.

Before this we used Keepass. Like Sticky Password much better.

It was selected by my DW who is an ex IT person and very paranoid.

Dear Auntie keeps hers on a post-it note stuck to the lid of her laptop. :facepalm:

Good memory! Back when I was in the w*rkforce, we had to change our long, complex password every 30 days, and it couldn't bear any resemblance to any previous password we had used. This was before there were password managers, so everyone had a post-it stuck somewhere around their workstation. Not immediately visible, of course, but it wasn't hard to look around and find it. Those were the days!

I also use a spreadsheet. The one thing you didn't mention is password protecting the spreadsheet. Mine requires a password to unlock the spreadsheet then I can access all my passwords.

My financial accounts require two factor authorization.

Agree. I do both these added security measures. Thank you for mentioning them.

My wife and I use Dashlane and have used it for years. There is no cost to the version we use. As long as we remember the log in to our Dashlane account, we have access to all of our passwords (that we remember to put in there). I don't know how we would keep track of all of our passwords otherwise.
I have kept a word document with the log in to our Dashlane account with our Last Will and Testament that our kids know where it is. Handling all of our financial accounts will be complicated enough without having to figure out how to log into all of them.

Back
Top Bottom