Used RV buying guide

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
I'm looking at purchasing a used motorhome. It appears the best source of unbiased information is the book and CD available from the RV Consumer Group as discussed on this thread:

http://early-retirement.org/forums/index.php?topic=10972.msg200199#msg200199

I'm wondering if anyone had access to the book and rating CD and might consider parting with it for a reasonable sum, or at least give me information on the rating of a 1999 Winnebago Adventurer Model 33B (Ford).

Thanks.

I feel a rally coming on ... :LOL:

Don't have the information you asked about but I went through a similar process. Since vehicle information is easier to obtain, I focused on the coach:

a) the "systems" -- water, electric, heat, air, etc. My conclusion was that these are largely overlapping among the various RV manufacturers, with the same vendors appearing over and over (dometic, fantastic fans, etc.). So, quality is likely to be similar at least out the door. In a used RV, due diligence is about all you have.

b) safety of the coach - hard to get good data. Martha sent me a book which I have since sent on to someone else, but the concern was that slide-outs and fiberglass shells are potentially a risk in a roll-over or side-impact crash. Not sure just what to do with these unsubstantiated frets, but just something to be aware of.

c) watch out for storage costs if you need to do that. I'm sure it varies a lot town to town, but if you are not planning to store it at home it can be expensive.

Betcha Audrey has a web site or two that will help.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
I feel a rally coming on ... :LOL:

Entirely possible! Just don't let Martha and Greg pick the location since that will almost guarantee cold damp weather. ;)

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Don't have the information you asked about but I went through a similar process. Since vehicle information is easier to obtain, I focused on the coach:

a) the "systems" -- water, electric, heat, air, etc. My conclusion was that these are largely overlapping among the various RV manufacturers, with the same vendors appearing over and over (dometic, fantastic fans, etc.). So, quality is likely to be similar at least out the door. In a used RV, due diligence is about all you have.

b) safety of the coach - hard to get good data. Martha sent me a book which I have since sent on to someone else, but the concern was that slide-outs and fiberglass shells are potentially a risk in a roll-over or side-impact crash. Not sure just what to do with these unsubstantiated frets, but just something to be aware of.

Sounds like a logical approach to me.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Betcha Audrey has a web site or two that will help.

I hope that's the case.

Sam said:
REWahoo, you might want to post your request here too.
http://www.rv.net/forum/

Thanks Sam, I'll check it out.

I know this isn't what you asked, but I found the book at my local library.

If all else fails...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom